Gear that's simple and indespensible

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
tom Cadillac
Gear: FS1R, EPS, JP8000, Kaos pad, Ineko, SP606, Mopho, MP7 and so on....
Band: Bipolarbass

Gear that's simple and indespensible

Post by tom Cadillac » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:01 am

Thought it might be useful to see what stuff people use all the time. The kind of music tools that are genius in their simplicity and usefulness.

For me the first is probably the mini kaos pad.
Then it's probably the stuff I use for grabbing samples, which is a Roland sp606 and a Digitech Jamman looper.

I'd probably also add my pignose portable amp, but just got a danelectro hoodoo - also extra portable and useful.

There's probably a few other things, but I think that kind of illustrates what I mean.

PS Don't know if I'v posted this in the wrong area, but I wasn't meaning to rule out synths. Just I don't find one synth indespensible. Just wanted to keep the idea open-ended.
"On the following day , the sorcery undespairingly continued: I changed my series, chose other sequences, cut other lengths, spliced different progressions, and hoped afresh for a miracle in sound." (Stockhausen)

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Re: Gear that's simple and indespensible

Post by pflosi » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:16 am

my audio interface ;)

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:53 am

I'm currently running things in a very old school way, so this little fella splits the trigger out on the DR-110 so I can run my SH-101 and CSQ-600 at the same time. :mrgreen:

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:53 am

Guitars.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:55 am

monolith wrote:Image

I'm currently running things in a very old school way, so this little fella splits the trigger out on the DR-110 so I can run my SH-101 and CSQ-600 at the same time. :mrgreen:
that works? isn't the amount of volts for each trigger reduced this way?

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:58 am

I'd say for synths, it might be the one board you use the most and have programmed the h**l out of it or understand it so well, it's instinctive to generate sounds. When you stockpile gear, you tend to forget how to do some things on some pieces and it's a pain to hunt down the manual or even your own notes. So along with that it's the simplest most direct board that becomes the staple.

USB MIDI controller. No matter what I'm using it shows up as USB Device and works. So many times I have to figure out why the MIDI hubs, Midi-Ox, Midi Quest, Midi Yoke, Sysex XYZ and the Soft Editors aren't working right.

And on the opposite end, some kind of interface that makes music that ISN'T a keyboard or Pad or traditional instrument. There are just those moments where I gotta break out. Anything with a touchscreen, D beams, light sensitivity or a different tactile surface. This strays a bit since it isn't a staple, but every studio (IMHO) could use an abstract instrument.

Those electrical switches that control a small Surge Protector. I have so many pieces without a dedicated on and off button that I use them to make my own power switch.

The adapters that turn 3 prong plugs into two and wall warts into regular plugs.

My flashlight and mirror combo to see the Audio and MIDI INS and OUTS round the back of racked gear.

Colored MIDI/Audio cables. I used to buy the same brand and color in the beginning and it made figuring out what went to what a nightmare at the mixboard and patchbay.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:05 am

pflosi wrote:
monolith wrote:Image

Works fine for me. I dont understand the technicalities of it, I just tried it one day, and it worked!

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:31 am

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:40 am

pflosi wrote:
monolith wrote:I'm currently running things in a very old school way, so this little fella splits the trigger out on the DR-110 so I can run my SH-101 and CSQ-600 at the same time. :mrgreen:
No, with a Y split the voltage stays the same, the current is divided.

I find my Radial DIs indispensable, they make whatever I'm doing sound better than everyone else who has to go through the (usually) crappy house DIs. I also never go anywhere without a stereo 3.5mm -> 2x RCA lead and 2 RCA -> 1/4" adaptors.

Duncanperson
Gear: Korg R3, DSI Evolver, SammichSID, Oto Machines Biscuit, Korg Kaoss Pad, Akai MPD32, MacbookPro

Post by Duncanperson » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:44 am

Well... everything I own is indispensable :? when you don't have a lot of stuff you know everything inside out, but simplest has to be audio and midi interfaces - 2 ins 2 outs, bus powered, easy routing inside a DAW, no hidden menus or page scrolling :lol:
Computers are like airconditioners, they work until you open windows.

Sir Nose
Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Post by Sir Nose » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:42 pm

edit: stab frenzy beat me to it
Last edited by Sir Nose on Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Funkadelic wrote: nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:45 pm

ok that makes sense. so would it be possible to split a cv signal into 4 signals without any loss using 3 Y adapters? and would it work to merge cv signals?

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:28 pm

pflosi wrote:
monolith wrote:I'm currently running things in a very old school way, so this little fella splits the trigger out on the DR-110 so I can run my SH-101 and CSQ-600 at the same time. :mrgreen:
As long as the input impedance of the two devices is (at least) twice the output impedance of the DR-110 it'll work no problem. The voltage drop will be minimal.

Also, most trigger ins respond to lower voltages than what most trigger outs send.
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

CapnMarvel

Post by CapnMarvel » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:30 pm

Sir Nose wrote:edit: stab frenzy beat me to it
Yeah, me too. I used to struggle mightily with MIDI Thru lag until I got a couple of the 4-out MIDI boxes, and now there's absolutely no problem.

I'll say a good, cheap small mixer, like my Soundcraft Compact 4. It was my first-ever mixer and even after all the upgrading I've done on my setup (everything now goes through a Mackie Onyx 1640), I still find reasons to use it temporarily here and there. Indispensible.

Oh, and the cheap Furman 'power conditioners' that I use as master on/off switches are also indispensible, regardless of what they actually do to regulate the mains, which is probably very little.
Gear List: A bunch that go 'WHHONNGG!', several that go 'tweedle tweedle' and 'thumpity', and a few that don't make any noise at all but have lots of delightful little lights on them.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:41 pm

CapnMarvel wrote:I'll say a good, cheap small mixer, like my Soundcraft Compact 4...
Yes, I've got one of these too - absolutely brilliant little mixer for the money, shits all over behringer's efforts anyday. ;)