Dam Funk Synths

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
phoenix224

Dam Funk Synths

Post by phoenix224 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:17 pm

Hello,

I just picked up Dam Funk's record Toeachizown. It's an amazing record, and it has some of the best synth funk basses and lush pads I've ever heard.

I found a picture of his garage studio, and it looks like he's using a Roland JX-3P, Roland Alpha Juno 1, and a Microkorg. I also found an interview online listing the Alpha Juno 1:

"In true auteur fashion, Dam was the only contributor on Toeachizown, from the singing on down. Working exclusively with historically accurate analog devices like the Roland Alpha Juno 1 synth and Oberheim, LinnDrum and Electro-Harmonix drum machines, Dam constructed his tracks through an unusually laborious process."

I checked some youtube videos of the JX-3P and Alpha Juno 1 and they don't sound very much like the sounds Dam Funk is getting on the record.

Just wondering if anyone familiar with Toeachizown and these synths can confirm they were used. I can't even get close to these bass sounds with my Juno 60.

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Dam Funk Synths

Post by kuroichi » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:02 am

phoenix224 wrote:Hello,

I just picked up Dam Funk's record Toeachizown. It's an amazing record, and it has some of the best synth funk basses and lush pads I've ever heard.

I found a picture of his garage studio, and it looks like he's using a Roland JX-3P, Roland Alpha Juno 1, and a Microkorg. I also found an interview online listing the Alpha Juno 1:

"In true auteur fashion, Dam was the only contributor on Toeachizown, from the singing on down. Working exclusively with historically accurate analog devices like the Roland Alpha Juno 1 synth and Oberheim, LinnDrum and Electro-Harmonix drum machines, Dam constructed his tracks through an unusually laborious process."

I checked some youtube videos of the JX-3P and Alpha Juno 1 and they don't sound very much like the sounds Dam Funk is getting on the record.

Just wondering if anyone familiar with Toeachizown and these synths can confirm they were used. I can't even get close to these bass sounds with my Juno 60.
Theres a equipment list in the booklet, most of which can be identified easily in some of the songs.

here it is:

Drum machines:

Oberheim DX
SCI Tom
Simmons Clap Trap
Korg Rhythm 55b
Baldwin Discoverer
MPC 2000xl
Vintage Silver Sparkle Slingerland Drum Set

Synths:

Baldwin Discoverer
Roland Juno 1
Roland JX-3P
Micro Korg

Mixers/Recorders:

Realistic Stereo Mixing Console
Pioneer DJM-500
Phillips CDR 795
Sharp DX-677 CD
Marantz Model 2238 Stereophonic Receiver
Audiosource Equaliser
Various Mics
Sony MDR-V150 Headphones

The JX-3P can get some of the sounds on the album quite easily with the right programming, especially some of those string type sounds, plus you can definitely get some from the Micro Korg (Probably used a lot). I'm not too familar with the Juno 1, but the album dosent contain anything particularly difficult in the sound programming department (however it is a great album), so I imagine you can get some of the sounds/style from it.
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

phoenix224

Post by phoenix224 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:21 am

kuroichi,

Thanks for the info. That's the thing I hate about buying amazon mp3s - no booklet.

Do you think his bass sounds are from the Microkorg or the JX-P3?

I'm going to see if I can get close with the SE-1X.

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:29 am

I'm not sure to honest as it could be a mixture although from the sound of it I'd say that it could be the microkorg at times. A lot of the sounds on the album are quite typical, and I've heard some similar stuff come from the korg at times. I think he will have used the micro for the vocoder parts mainly though . I definately think your synths are more than capable of producing similar if not better sounds.

The FR XS and the SE1X far surpass the synths he's used. Especially for bass.
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

thefonz003
Gear: Yamaha SY77
Korg DSS-1
Yamaha DJX
Novation MiniNova
Electrix Warp Factory
Akai MPK225
Various Softsynths
E-mu Mo'Phatt (wanting to sell)

Post by thefonz003 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:24 pm

I know this thread has been dead for a long time and I'm zombifying it, and I apologize. However, I just find this so interesting. An old home organ, two DCO analog polys, and a VA. Not a single traditional VCO analog or a single monosynth. I don't have a problem with this at all - the album sounds fantastic and is one of my favorite electro albums ever. Just think it's funny that the media hyped how this was made with all analog equipment when that's not completely true.

I also find it interesting that there are more individual drum machines used on this album than individual synths.