How do you make your rhythm tracks?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
tom Cadillac
Gear: FS1R, EPS, JP8000, Kaos pad, Ineko, SP606, Mopho, MP7 and so on....
Band: Bipolarbass

How do you make your rhythm tracks?

Post by tom Cadillac » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:23 am

Well beyond buying a drum machine and following the manual......! What kind of sound are you after? How do you achieve it? Etc.,,,

For me - sampled drum sounds - nice and crisp. Not analogue, No bass drum. Double tracking..... etc...

As an example - on the stinky sound MC303 you can turn off instruments and strip the presets down tp an interesting `clicktrack` and then build on top of this inputing the other drums manually from a better drum machine source ( zoom drum machines are my fav), using tthe MC303 to keep the beat. Worked for me anyway.
"On the following day , the sorcery undespairingly continued: I changed my series, chose other sequences, cut other lengths, spliced different progressions, and hoped afresh for a miracle in sound." (Stockhausen)

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Re: How do you make your rhythm tracks?

Post by Cumulus » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:54 am

Sometimes I run the TR 606 ot TR 808 through a tight rythmic delay to fatten it up a bit. I sometimes take out a few instruments or change the beat and then put another track down, timing it by ear with teh original (being careful not to touch the tempo knob in between tracks).

When I am using the Korg Electribe ES-1 or DDD-1 or anything else with MIDI I like to set the Tascam to put out a clock signal and then run multpile tracks of drums and samples that are guaranteed to be in sync with each other.

I also like to set the Electribe up with two bass drums and two snares panned hard right and left with different settings or even different sounds for each side.

All of these techniques allow me to mix and match the sounds I want.

I also like to sample random stuff on the Casio SK-1 and find somethign that goes with the rythym.

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:13 am

Native Instruments Battery. I load up 2 copies, with 1 I browse presets, when I find a sound I like I move the sound to the second copy, building my own kit this way. When I did this with my MPC I fell into a trap of using the same sample set over and over and over because I was either too lazy to source new sounds and connect the MPC to my computer. Then I build a 2-bar loop in Live, which I expand to a four bar loop, then usually 2 or 3 of these loops are the foundation of the song with changes in appropriate places (verse->chorus transitions, or just to break the pattern)

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Post by hfinn » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:42 am

Right now I'm creating percussive rhythm tracks using a guitar (or something) into a Electro Harmonix 16 second delay and messing with the pitch/tempo (and maybe also the backwards and chorus/LFO)

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:45 am

I do stuff in a whole lot of different ways, but often will start with a skeleton of a beat in Live (almost like a click but with a bit more going on) then lay the bassline down on top and then fill the rest of the beat in with a drum machine, sampler, live percussion, SPD-S etc. I like to layer heaps of stuff up and then carve some of it away to get the finished beat, I get more interesting results that way. A few tracks I've made two beats separately with slightly different feels and then layered them on top of each other. Sounds awesome.

tom Cadillac
Gear: FS1R, EPS, JP8000, Kaos pad, Ineko, SP606, Mopho, MP7 and so on....
Band: Bipolarbass

Post by tom Cadillac » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:20 am

I recently sampled a short powerful drum groove from a movie, but I think I got the loop point at a different place than where the original would have had an accent or started repeating again. I did this very quickly without searching for the 'perfect point'. It sounds wonderful and quite fluid. Definately a happy accident as it's very different from what I would have created if I'd thought about it more.
I must try this again. I'v got the feeling that film soundtracks quite often have short bursts of drums which are very good for sampling. "Can you just rewind that till i get the sample?" :oops:
"On the following day , the sorcery undespairingly continued: I changed my series, chose other sequences, cut other lengths, spliced different progressions, and hoped afresh for a miracle in sound." (Stockhausen)

TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Post by TrondC » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:40 am

you all sound so advanced :p I power up the machinedrum hit record for the basic variations of bassdrum/snare/hat patterns, then sculpt and record various other rythmic elements. If I like it, hit record in my DAW and go ;) basic, but so is the music I make with the MD :)

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:04 am

My rhythm making is very complex, i record all my rhythms/drum sounds to my DAW, and then i begin stripping them all back again, sometimes weaving rhythms in and out of each other, or cutting them up to create new rhythms within a rhythm. I also add delays to create new rhythmic elements too when needed.
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:06 am

Currently, most of my drums come from some live drumming recordings I made with a single mic in a school bandroom. I played along with several different recordings of multiple songs (from two different albums of licensing music for movies) from the 1960s, which gave me about 80 minutes of solid drumming. I turn the original music tracks down and just listen to the drums I played until I find something that appeals to me or fits the feel or tempo of what I have in mind. I find the portion (often somewhat small) of the song where my drumming is as solid as it can be (which often isn't very solid even so), and extract that. I have to EQ it to make up for the bass lost from a single mic. Sometimes I will just cut and paste the good parts together, and sometimes I have sampled the good parts and programmed the samples into the song structure.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:59 am

Mostly very simple these days. Often I use no percussion at all, and rhythm comes from the pitched musical lines, or the patterns set up by using multiple delays and other layered effects. When I do use drums/percussion, it's typically from analogue machines - I'm currently enjoying my DR-55 and HC-2 which are all nice and limited. I'll pretty much just program the patterns on the machines, and use them as they are, with no cut-ups later. As for effects, whatever feels right at the time. Digital drums are also pretty simple - program the patterns on the machine, use individual outputs where possible to EQ etc - but I still tend to use drum machines because I want a regular drum machine feel, not something more organic. For that I'd rather set up a percussion patch and play by hand.

I used to sample loops and cut them up, and layer lots together, and create rhythmic variations - but I'm not so interested in that now. Percussion for me has become a kind of addition rather than a fundament, and I'm leaning towards fairly minimal structures. I'll add percussive noises using synth sounds, but about 70% of my stuff now has no drums at all.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:00 pm

Sometimes i just make different patterns on my drum machines, and record them.

Sometimes i just make different patterns with ableton live drum machine and latin percussion samples.

Sometimes i sample old disco / funk tracks (from vinyl), usually i'm looking for nice hats / rides / percussions. Noise gate if it's too full already, EQ etc. If it's strictly just a beat, i also like to record it from my turntable at not original speed.

Sometimes all together or any possible combination.

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:49 pm

leafDrums! It's an old standalone app, not a VSTi. I use it these days mainly for 80s -type of stuff for my side project. I have thousands of drum hits that I've been sampling since the mid-90s. I've sampled as many variations of any hihat, snare an kick sounds as possible, so that they can be used to generate subtle variation. In the past I often tried to program realistic patterns of acoustic kits by using dozens of tracks with tons of variation. However, by the time they'd start to sound realistic, they'd usually lack a decent groove. I still prefer more realistic hihats over drum machine -type hihats though.

Downmixing to tape the drums together with the bass and a few arbitrary elements will give you a tighter sound. Compression or warming-up plug-ins can only get you so far, and simply using tape will give good results instantly. Sometimes, holding up a microphone in front of studio monitors can be used for adding nice pseudo-acoustics. When recorded it will of course result in phasing, but if you place that very low in the mix the drums will come to live nicely. / My own main project doesn't really use drums at all, however. A few samples here and there.
Last edited by nvbrkr on Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alspacka

Post by alspacka » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:29 pm

piano roll!

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:32 pm

alspacka wrote:piano roll!
:o

MPS
Band: Atomic Shadow

Post by MPS » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:27 pm

I just play it on the V-Drums.

Or sometimes I use loops that I make from field recordings. It depends on what I am doing.
http://www.atomicshadow.com/

A wall of dusty old junk, synths, and effects. Broadcasting live, from yesterday's world of tomorrow.