KORG MS-FEST ... MS-fans / links / pics / patches

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
grandson

KORG MS-FEST ... MS-fans / links / pics / patches

Post by grandson » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:40 am

10's 20's 50's and h**l even SQ's

Ok I'm starting the official Korg MS fest, open to posts of all things MS-related. Especially interested in patches for 10/20 just photos of patches with descriptions would be great.

Also if anyone has cool patch routing's for sounds or signal processing etc etc that is what we're looking for!

I hope this thread will become a resource for all things MS.

Cheers.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Re: KORG MS-FEST ... MS-fans / links / pics / patches

Post by Hybrid88 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:16 pm

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:18 pm

Nice, keep this going. I just joined the MS fold for the first time and was looking for some resources for interesting ideas.

One of the mods over on GS is working on a DIY expander he is dubbing the MS-30 to add some nice features missing from the MS-20.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

HH

Post by HH » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:32 pm

Hi,

here are some of my patches for the MS20

Vox

Electro toms

Funky lead

Cosmic lfo

grandson

Post by grandson » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:46 pm

man! sweet, can you post a blank patch sheet too?

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:55 pm

How about the VC10 Vocoder? Does it fit in with this thread? Here's a couple of tunes using the VC10:

The second one includes probably one of the few keyboard rigs you're likely to see with a Kawai Spectra and a Roland U20 alongside a Korg VC10. Besides Mr. Kotobuki's oddball rig(and oddball stage demeanor) you've also got Katsuhiko Akiyama playing a Yamaha V50.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:11 am

HH wrote:Hi,

Funky lead
patches like these can really be improved by sending the out of eg1 to the vca. eg1 doesnt do anything, so ur settings are useless anyway. set delay to 0, attack to 0 and release to taste. using eg1 for the vca is the way to get sustain when eg2 sustain is on 0. this way eg2 won't retrigger if you play legato. that's another nice bonus

HH

Post by HH » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:15 am

pflosi wrote:
HH wrote:Hi,

Funky lead
patches like these can really be improved by sending the out of eg1 to the vca. eg1 doesnt do anything, so ur settings are useless anyway. set delay to 0, attack to 0 and release to taste. using eg1 for the vca is the way to get sustain when eg2 sustain is on 0. this way eg2 won't retrigger if you play legato. that's another nice bonus

Hey thanks, will try that out

and the blank patch sheet is up for you here:

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:47 pm

you're welcome!

this thread seems like a good place to share info on the ms. besides the - to me - very important trick with eg1-vca, i have some more:

pink noise or phones out as modulation source. or another synth's output for fm.

for the classic s/h effect, plug pink noise to s/h in, square lfo to clock in, and s/h out to your desired destination. turn the lfo pulsewidth all the way to the right. the MS s/h is not a "real" s/h, it passes all the signals on the input when the clock receives positive voltage, and samples and holds it when the clock hits ground. with the pulsewidth all the way to the right, you only get a small pulse of positive voltage, and this is the way to get the classical effect.

the s/h can also do other interesting things. try plugging the kbd cv out to the s/h in, and the kbd trigger out to the s/h clock. s/h output to vco2 cv in. that way you get some kind of duophony, the second osc will always play the note you played before. it's quite funny.

as seen in the funk lead patch by HH, the patchpanel vca can be used to attenuate modulations. in this patch, the mod wheel introduces vibrato. that's the common thing to do. but i also like to use that patchpanel vca standalone as attenuator, for example when patching things to my juno 60 vcf in, which doesnt have an attenuator.

also, an active expression pedal is great with the MS. on leads, i tend to use pedals to introduce vibrato (with the patchpanel vca, as described above), and the wheel to control both the HPF and the LPF, with high resonance settings at about 7.

the ESP can convert v-trigger to s-trigger (but only trigger, no gate; i.e. you cant "hold" notes). this way, the MS can easily be used with every standard gate sequencer, like roland drum machines. it will always play the notes you play on the keys. it's great for various stuff, for example for sequenced basslines that are still played. it's also great fun to patch v-triggers to the lpf input, with LPF cutoff all the way down, and the needed attenuator (MG or EG knob) all the way up (at least to 7). it will only play when you press keys like this, the other way round it always play the last note pressed.

by the way, the (second) osc, hpf and lpf cv in (those in the top row) are all exponential, i.e. v/oct. it is easily possible to calibrate motu volta to that osc cv in - which is not possible with the "standard" vco in, which wants to see hz/v (hz/v need 8 V, motu interfaces can (on most outputs) only output 5 V, which is perfect for v/oct).

also, it's great to have some kind of cv splitter / merger and some cv inverter (to get access to the normal EG2 cv out, there is only an inverted one on the patchpanel) with the MS. for example modular multiples / mixers, or a moog cp 251, or it's also easy to DIY.

that's more or less all i can think of at the moment. maybe some more will come to my mind. hope you guys enjoy it, and hope it's useful

novielo
Gear: in order of appearence:
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff
Band: one-man band
Location: by the river, st-jerome, quebec, canada, north america

Post by novielo » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:19 pm

hmm, i'll write that patch we where talking about pflosi
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:29 pm

you mean the ms-filterbank-geigercounter thing? did you succeed doing it like you wanted? did you use the filterbank at all? i'm curious :D

novielo
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff

Post by novielo » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:44 pm

basicaly, :roll:
-the cp-251 merge two lfo together, 1 from the ms20 and the second controlled by it in the cp-251. they are then patch to the LPF
-the eg1 from the ms20 trigger the filterbank (to get a v-trig for the shermann) (if i would have needed the EG, i would put through the lag processor of the cp-251, the rise-fall would done it, while keeping the v-trig for the shermann).
-the shermann provide the adsr specificaly for the geiger counter
- the geiger counter does his things
Attachments
gnarly_bass.JPG
gnarly bass
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:04 pm

cool! sounds like a funny patching experiment :D

novielo

Post by novielo » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:44 pm

yes, it was fun indeed. i believe it also show me why i would be happy with a modular. it's already almost like a modular, different piece of equipment connected to interfere with each other.

novielo

Post by novielo » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:27 pm

anybodu got some patch to share? i believe we are more then 5 using this synth.