I guess I’m just not a big fan of DCO’s

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
JJQ

Re: I guess I’m just not a big fan of DCO’s

Post by JJQ » Thu May 20, 2010 2:59 pm

iProg wrote:
Gratulerar till världens mest musikaliska synth!
Tackar tackar. (Thanks x2)
Gear: Minimoog, Mother-32, Roland MC-202, TB-303, (Boss) DR-110, TR-505, TR-808, Alpha Juno 2, Jupiter-8, Oberheim SEM, .com/oakley/moon/mos-lab/STG/Sputnik/MegaOhm-modular & Microbrute

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Thu May 20, 2010 5:46 pm

Is it bad that I keep thinking of that chef from The Muppets?
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

JJQ

Post by JJQ » Thu May 20, 2010 10:21 pm

No, not at all.

I think of him every time I talk or cook.
Gear: Minimoog, Mother-32, Roland MC-202, TB-303, (Boss) DR-110, TR-505, TR-808, Alpha Juno 2, Jupiter-8, Oberheim SEM, .com/oakley/moon/mos-lab/STG/Sputnik/MegaOhm-modular & Microbrute

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Fri May 21, 2010 8:39 am

JJQ wrote:No, not at all.

LOL. Where did yu buy the P5 btw?

JJQ

Post by JJQ » Fri May 21, 2010 9:05 am

Jam in Malmö. Perfect functionality and good condition. :)

bizness80

Post by bizness80 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:18 pm

CapnMarvel wrote:First thing I'll admit straight off that I've never owned a 'five star' vintage VCO synth - no Minimoogs, Omnis, CS, MS, Obie, etc. I own an Andy, a MKS-80, and have had a few 'lesser' vintage VCO synths (Moog Rogue, for instance).
The MKS-80 is a 'five-star' synth as far as I'm concerned (maybe a 4.5 if you're a real purist). Sure it's not a Jupe 8 but I'd say it's a close second as far as Rolands go. If you don't agree I'd be happy to take it off your hands for a three or four star price!

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:36 am

JJQ wrote:No, not at all.

Or play drums.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

miket156

Post by miket156 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:03 pm

Off Topic
by otto:

Prophet ’08 – really great flexibility , lots of knobs and the great DSI sequencer, more usefully stacked as a 4 voice for decent thickness, I don’t know if I’m come across a more bland analog filter… perhaps on the Waldorf Pulse. If this were a $500 there is no doubt I would still own it but it’s a lot of cash, for me, for DCO sound…
I can't tell you how many synth players have complained about the lame filter on the P08. I sent an email awhile back to DSI about this topic and got a reply. They told me they would pass my email along to Dave Smith. Being that I've owned my Prophet 5 since I bought it brand new in 1981, I have a bit of loyalty to Dave Smith. The P5 has served me very well over the years. I don't want to insult the man, he's done a lot for us synth players.

I use an Alesis Ion for my live synth stuff along with my Motif ES8 and it works. However, any VA comes up short when it comes to gutsy sound. I don't want to take my P5 out of my house for safety reasons, so it would be nice to have a current analog to use live. I listened to on-line demos of the P08 and have read numerous posts by synth players that bought it. Many of them sold it shortly after they bought it saying that the filter was about useless and the synth was too tame. That's why i sent Dave Smith the email questioning why he hasn't changed the P08, other than putting pots instead of encoders on the new version. I never got a reply from Dave about the P08 design.

Maybe there's enough synth players that like the P08, I don't know. But as it stands i wouldn't buy one the way it is. Any thoughts on this folks?

Mike T.
Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis ION, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, Moog Source, Arp Odyssey Model III, 1979 Rhodes Suitcase Mark 1. Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Lots of PA gear, amps, speakers, mixers, EQ's, FX, you name it.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:30 pm

It's got an Oberheim Matrix6 filter, or variation of it. Basically, an incredibly tame filter. It probably just filters down to the deal Dave got with the Curtis chip manufacturer. Pun intended

Mr Knesh
Gear: DP/4+ because in order to dive in deep, you have to DP.

Post by Mr Knesh » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:55 pm

miket156 wrote:
Off Topic
by otto:

I don't want to take my P5 out of my house for safety reasons, ...

The P5 is one dangerous mofo! Look at it the wrong way, and its likely to cut a b***h. You don't want the liability on your hands. Most synth players, they would have put that synth away long ago. But you, you like 'em wild, dangerous. You want a board that can put lust back in to a persons soul.