I guess I’m just not a big fan of DCO’s

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
computron
Band: Computron

Re: I guess I’m just not a big fan of DCO’s

Post by computron » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:26 pm

computron wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:
computron wrote:A very instesting late read

I have to agree about both the kawai sx240 and the kawai sx210.For so called DCO's they sound so much like VCO's.Alot of dco synths are designed very differently.I have a sx210 a sx 240 and a korg Dw8000.The sx's are alike of course while the korgdw000 sounds nothing like the sx's.The korg is so much thinner and brighter a sound .closer to Fm then some peole would say of the sx's.Hands down the sx's are the more powerfull, fatter,and richer analog soud when I compare it to my Dw8000.They sound nothing alike being dcos.You can break down DCO's in many different ways some just have more analog means of pushing and controling the osc's threw the synth
I would actually say the exact opposite... having finally gotten my hands on an sx240, I was sorely disappointed (sorry Computron, the SX's oscs sound nothing like VCOs). It really did sound kind of lifeless. The filter helped, but having only a square wave for the 2nd osc insured it always had a kind of, umm... square sound. While the saw waveform on osc 1 was pretty blah! There was something weird about the osc detuning too-it was such low resolution that you couldn't really get a slightly detuned phasing sound. The filter was good, but couldn't save it. The full on string-synth-esque chorus might have been my favorite part. Obviously, YMMV.

Now I am sitting here with an ex8000 which, even without the delay on, to me, simply sounds fuller. And yes, the EX isn't even a DCO synth so perhaps shouldn't be compared, but since the previous poster brought it up... Haven't tried them directly next to each other, but I'm pretty sure I would say the same thing. Another thing I totally never realized about the EX was how fast its envelopes are too!

And this whole DW/EX-8000=FM thing is silly-there are additive waveforms that sound like FM, but there are also saw and square waveforms that do not sound like FM... does this make the whole synth thinner and brighter? no.

So unfortunately, my thoughts on pure DCO synths haven't changed my from my previous post!/

Maybe I should do a back to back just to verify some of this slander :lol:
Lifeless?? im suprised to hear that said about the sx240 .im sorry you feel that way but I just disagree.I can get mine to sound like a polysix or sh,its has a variable pulse besides saw and sine waves are possible with the resonace at 99 feeding on itself .the lfo also has three waveforms and delay speed and reverse you can route a little everywhere in OSC1 OSC2 VCA and VCF and neat trigger like the roland lfo triggers.In dual mode or in mono it can sound freaking huge.huger then my dw800o in unison,to each is own and I agree its not for everyone either the dw8000 or Sx synths.I Like DCO VCO FM PD VA synths I have some of all those types and think they all are great.its all pointless synth squabble compared to making music.no one should consider DCOS in general as all the same :D .
Living the Electro Life

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:19 am

i love my sh-101, and if given the choice, i would go for VCO whenever possible. that being said, i don't actually own any VCO polysynths, so i'm not really "qualified" to say VCO is neccisarily better than DCO if that's even possible, in which the term "better" needs more clarification. maybe it is, maybe it isn't. BUT, my oscilator type preference aside, i really love the 90's techno-trancy-hardhouse-goa-ish acidy type of music, and so i feel like my JX-8p really nails that sound. likewise, the alpha juno hoover sound is really only best done with an alpha juno, and then there's the 303...so growing up listening to that music, when i hear the jx, it perfectly fits the synth sounds i've grown up thinking were "synth sounds." when i want to write a track inspired by that sound, that feeling i get from those albums is alive with my jx. then again, i also grew up listening to rick wakeman, and so i would be less likely to go to the jx, and more likely to pick up my sh101 if i were to for instance jam with a 70s style progressive band. better still if i had a moog. (although still just as likely to use the sh101 for trance!) so to break it down, when the artists that you're listening to use specific types of instruments in a specific way, and you approach the idea of creating something, what you create is alwayse in context with what you listen to, whether complimenting, contrasting, and so on. i feel like this is really important and sort of over-looked. very often it seems when we compare synths, we're attempting to comparing them without context, in order to gain some sort of objective idea of where they stand in comparison to other synths: which is fatter, warmer, more costly, too costly, build quality, etc. as if all we're going to do is sit there and pluck the keys. wile this has merit in it's own right, the intrensic value of the synth is alwayse going to be secondary to the creative value in practice & "conversation" if you will with w/e music your listening to. hense: it's possible to attack the 303 on the basis of intrensic quality, but when it comes down to it, a 303 looks sounds and feels like a 303 in a more genuine way then most if not all of the 303 immitations. no one's using a 303 to practice their fingering skills. (that's why they have wives[bu-dum-ching]) but seriously though. some have gilrfiends, prostitutes, w/e. anyway, i digress. but when you gotta have that sound, it's king. VCO vs DCO isn't even on your radar when buying one, regaurdless of which it is (i don't even know). if i had to guess, i would say that what we're all listening to and where we want what we create to sit in reference to what we listen to is going to have as much of an effect on our preference for DCO/VCO as owning a bunch and doing comparisons, or trying to determine specific qualities of VCO's and DCO's that make one better then the other in a left brained sort of way. wile those types of comparisons might work on a synth to synth basis, something like a strict DCO vs. VCO preference as a general rule falls short of being a conclusive approach to catagorizing synths as creative tools into a meaningful hierarchy with any sort of value. that being said, VCO's are just better. deal with it.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:47 pm

Whoo, thank god somebody resurrected this POS thread.

:lol:
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:33 pm

tallowwaters wrote:Whoo, thank god somebody resurrected this POS thread.

I was thinking of doing a juno-106 vs. juno-60 thread again if that's cool... I've forgotten what the differences are.
Do you even post on vse bro?

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:16 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:

I was thinking of doing a juno-106 vs. juno-60 thread again if that's cool... I've forgotten what the differences are.

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:44 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:

Rabbit season! Duck season! Rabbit season! Duck season!

Shall we shoot him now or shoot him later? :twisted:
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

Dogboy73

Post by Dogboy73 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:51 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:I was thinking of doing a juno-106 vs. juno-60 thread again if that's cool... I've forgotten what the differences are.
When I get my new SEM I'm going to do an oscillator 1 V's oscillator 2 comparison - Those osc 2's. Never as good as osc1's are they? Or is it just me?! :roll:

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:08 pm

Now that you mention it, most of my synths have had a second oscillator that's a little bit shitty.

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by braincandy » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:11 pm

I was hoping for a battle of waveforms: square vs. saw.
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects

JMP
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by JMP » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:16 pm

Or wood against metal....? We all know wood sided synths sound better cos. they look more vintage.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:41 pm

JMP wrote:Or wood against metal....? We all know wood sided synths sound better cos. they look more vintage.
Anything's better than plastic!

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:16 am

For the true vintage vibe, only synths with tweed panels will do!
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

CfNorENa
Gear: SEM | SH-2 | Prophet 5 | MKS-70 | Microwave XTk | Kronos || AD 202 | El Capistan | DP/4 | Eclipse | Rumour | PCM90

Post by CfNorENa » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:51 am

Sir Ruff wrote:I was thinking of doing a juno-106 vs. juno-60 thread again if that's cool... I've forgotten what the differences are.
That's simple. Juno 60 is way phatter, but the 106 has MIDI.

(since deadpan doesn't really come across in text, I'll be explicit: this is deadpan; I'm kind of dumb, but not THAT dumb ;) )

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:37 am

CfNorENa wrote:
That's simple. Juno 60 is way phatter, but the 106 has MIDI.

(since deadpan doesn't really come across in text, I'll be explicit: this is deadpan; I'm kind of dumb, but not THAT dumb ;) )

Why does everyone think I'm joking? :cry: (Vintagesynth, where's that head-scratching emoticon gone?)

well, ok, since none of you want to help me with that, can I start a "good analog monosynth?" thread instead? I'm kind of debating between an sh-101 or a little phatty, but I keep hearing the new moogs aren't as fat as older synths. The sh-101 looks way more hands-on too and sounds like it will be better for acid.... which is not the kind of music that I want to make.
Last edited by Sir Ruff on Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Do you even post on vse bro?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:38 am

I find osc 1 sounds better on a tuesday than on a thursday. Tuesday is phatter by far. But osc 2 has more analogue drift on a thursday.

What should I do? I want to make the best fwonk I can, should I record on a wednesday? At what time, maybe midday?