Recent Cheap Finds - Lo-Fi/Toys/Noise

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MV8800, Sub37, Integra 7, Mininova, Fusion, Biscuit, TimeFactor, SP-555, SP-404, SPD-SX
Band: Blavatsky

Recent Cheap Finds - Lo-Fi/Toys/Noise

Post by blavatsky » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:57 pm

I'm sure this has been done before, but what are people's favorite recent cheap/toy/lo-fi finds?

it can be new or used, but let's set a cap at $50. No mini-moogs or andromeda stories, I want to hear about weird noise makers/effects/c**p you guys find online or at flea markets and what you paid.

Here's mine.

Digital Buddhist Jukebox - 13 lofi songs/loops on a chip, search jukebox on http://www.dealextreme.com. 5$
Digital Tibetan Jukebox - On the way from same site. 4$
Childs Accordian - Key of C, sounds kind of awful but reversed with effects has a nice pad-like swell. 10$
Casio MT-40 - early digital sounds, 8 note polyphony, bass note section. 3$
Casio PT-1 - tiny VL-1 clone minus ADSR and calculator, has 100 note sequencer. 3$
Realistic Handheld tape recorder - Cheap saturated tape sound; built in mic for gritty samples. 2$
27 note bell/xylophone - amazon; not electronic but will be fun to sample and mangle. waiting. 25$
Gristleism - Cube that makes industrial loops....I was curious so I had to try; waiting on it. 28$
Stylophone - Kinda trite nowadays but I wanted to try one, still waiting. 20$
Electro Harmonix Small Clone Chorus - analog old school chorus pedal from 80s. Traded broken amp + 50$

colmon

Re: Recent Cheap Finds - Lo-Fi/Toys/Noise

Post by colmon » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:16 pm

i got a gristleism for christmas. had fun annoying my cat with it for about a day but haven't really played with it since. there's a couple of mods online that show you how to install a line out socket but i wouldn't personally want to sample it in my music.

rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member
Band: Ghost Fires, The Witch Family

Post by rharris07 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:26 pm

colmon wrote:i got a gristleism for christmas. had fun annoying my cat with it for about a day but haven't really played with it since. there's a couple of mods online that show you how to install a line out socket but i wouldn't personally want to sample it in my music.
so not really worth the money? i was interested in getting one...but the currency conversion and shipping to the US did not make it very attractive afterwards.

i just got a minikp for 80 bucks, which isn't too bad of a deal i guess seeing as it came with all the original materials and box. so far i'm not truly impressed yet - its fun for throwing a quick filter over a beat to change things up - but i have yet to find an exact use for it other than that.

everything else i buy as far as lo-fi or toys would be guitar pedals for my synths. I did just get an MXR blue box for 10 bucks, which makes lots of cool 8-bit type noise when a synth is blasted thru it. Also got an electric mistress from a member here on the board - but no PSU, and I can't find any real info on where to get a PSU for an original mistress....sucks!

MEK | SixTrak | DrumTraks | Motif 8 | DW8000 | MicroKorg | EMX1 & ESX1 | Soviet TOM | Arp Quartet | SD-1 32V | Elka 490 | Indigo 2 | E6400 | Morpheus | SQ2 | DotCom Modular

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:08 pm

I had a $50 Boss DR-550 in parts for about the last year.. I was going to bend it for some super noise, but then someone locally was willing to trade it for a Boss SP-202 with card and AC so I put it back together and made the trade. This thing is awesome, but it makes me really want the SP-303 that has resampling & sequencing. I think I can jury-rig some resampling work into it by connecting it (incidentally) to my mini-kp. Should have some awesome noisy results.

edit: also, I have a Gakken SX-150. Great little box! I want to build a little sequencer for it though, I'm thinking an atmega32 chip PWM-ing either 16-note loops or as a midi converter.

colmon

Post by colmon » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:17 pm

gristleism is a lot of fun, and i'm a huge tg fan so had to get one. i'm certain you'd get way more use out of it than i did if you hooked it up to your kaos pad.

Arturo00
Gear: @}-,-`-
Band: Hard Science

Post by Arturo00 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:51 pm

I picked up a Casio SK-1 for $5 at Value Village a few months ago! Sweet find!
Haves: SCI Prophet 5 rev3.3 Moog Multimoog Roland Jupiter4, Juno60, RE201, SH101, TR707, TR808, TR909 Korg Polysix, Poly 800 II, Kaosillator Hammond L112, X5 w/ Leslie 760 Paia Fatman Casio VL-Tone, SK1 Gakken SX-150

Dogboy73

Post by Dogboy73 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:14 pm

colmon wrote:gristleism is a lot of fun, and i'm a huge tg fan so had to get one. i'm certain you'd get way more use out of it than i did if you hooked it up to your kaos pad.
I got one of those but I don't really like the music on it. I much prefer the Buddha Machine;

http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=19806

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:18 pm

Aren't those just the loops used in various TG songs? s**t, I'll make you a mixtape featuring traffic noises, my washing machine, and various other goings on for half that price.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:22 pm

tallowwaters wrote:Aren't those just the loops used in various TG songs? s**t, I'll make you a mixtape featuring traffic noises, my washing machine, and various other goings on for half that price.
i'd buy it.

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:28 pm

Just picked up a couple of digital alarm clocks with digital samples in them for a buck a piece. One announces the time when you press a button and can be set to do things like chime on the hour and so on. The other has a bunch of audio loops built in to make "soothing sounds" like wind chimes, running water etc. As you might imagine the audio from these is a bit distorted by the cheapo speakers used and there's aliasing from whatever stupidly low bitrate they use. But at that price I just couldn't help myself. Less than a bag of chips and a can of pop for both these days. I'll shove them up against the pickups on my guitars one of these days and do the usual loop and process routine with my stompboxes. The ambient sounds from number 2 might be interesting in a quiet playing context just from the built in speaker as well.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MV8800, Sub37, Integra 7, Mininova, Fusion, Biscuit, TimeFactor, SP-555, SP-404, SPD-SX
Band: Blavatsky

Post by blavatsky » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:13 am

been playing with the gristleism a little tonight...I agree, it's ok but not fantastic. For 5 bucks my buddha chant box is just as cool when run thru delay/distortion, etc and already has a headphone jack. The gristle does have a pretty cool pitch shift control so you can get an really slow gritty sound of the loops. I was messing around moving it in front of a condenser and pitch shifting while recording it and tossing a few vsti effects on it, not too shabby for a background part.

Black Tomorrow
Gear: MG-1, V-Synth w/ VC1, Poly800, PSR740, Triton, SHS10, Boss DR770, Stylophone, Hammond M-143, acoustic piano, reed organ, didgeridoo, Garritan library.

Post by Black Tomorrow » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:30 am

This past Christmas, a friend who has an eye for random yet cool gifts, gave me a Stylophone. I never heard of it before, but it's a neat little gadget for the price. Not sure how I'll use it, but I'm sure it'll end up in at least one recording, like every other instrument I own.
You can't synthesize love

rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member
Band: Ghost Fires, The Witch Family

Post by rharris07 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:34 pm

i'd love to find a gristleism & buddha machine both used to play with, but I just can't bring myself to buy them online from boomkat and have them shipped here to the US, just way too expensive in the end for a toy, ya know?

hopefully one of these days i'll find someone that has one or both and is tired of them here in the states!

MEK | SixTrak | DrumTraks | Motif 8 | DW8000 | MicroKorg | EMX1 & ESX1 | Soviet TOM | Arp Quartet | SD-1 32V | Elka 490 | Indigo 2 | E6400 | Morpheus | SQ2 | DotCom Modular

guillermotin

Post by guillermotin » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:17 am

Last week I was browsing my local craiglist when I came across this $200 Lexicon PCM-80. After an initial reluctance, I decided to call the owner and give it a try. Next morning, I went there with a microkorg to test the unit. The vendor tried to turn it on, but no sound came out. After several attempts, the unit was still mute, The buttons were not responding, and the display was dim and erratic. Aside from this, it looked impeccably new, as if it had been stored for years in a dusty wardrobe.

After conjecturing a number of possible malfunction causes, i decided to turn it down. That's when the vendor suggested: "Well, if it doesn't work, It's of no use to me, so why don't you take it with you and see what you can do? If it eventually works, then it's yours! I don't want it."

Back in my studio, all I needed to do was to replace the internal battery and fix one encoder, and it was back alive. Still, no sound came out of the analog side, but I managed to configure it to spdif ins & outs and it was working again!

Quite nice little toy, creamy reverbs. For free!

novielo
Gear: in order of appearence:
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff
Band: one-man band
Location: by the river, st-jerome, quebec, canada, north america

Post by novielo » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:15 am

recently it is an old gameboy and a 15$ gb camera. i have alot of fun with trippy h tru a geiger counter or the kp3.
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes