Recent Cheap Finds - Lo-Fi/Toys/Noise

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
colmon

Re: Recent Cheap Finds - Lo-Fi/Toys/Noise

Post by colmon » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:21 am

lol yes, tg is only the sound of traffic and washing machines, great observation there thank you sherlock

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:26 pm

blavatsky wrote:Digital Buddhist Jukebox - 13 lofi songs/loops on a chip, search jukebox on http://www.dealextreme.com. 5$
Digital Tibetan Jukebox - On the way from same site. 4$
An Indian friend of mine told me that you can get similar things that just do drones that sound like sitar drone strings over there for really cheap, I was trying to find some to include in live shows instead of the am radio I use now, these might be just the thing instead.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:33 pm

Jeez. I don't know what happened but after an hour of watching youtube videos of got gas for a whole lot of indian instruments that I didn't even know existed this morning... oops.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:24 pm

colmon wrote:lol yes, tg is only the sound of traffic and washing machines, great observation there thank you sherlock
No need to hate, I like TG too, it was a joke, watson.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member
Band: Ghost Fires, The Witch Family

Post by rharris07 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:10 pm

I just picked up a working casiotone 701 complete with full wooden case for 20 bucks!

Anyone have one of these? They worth a damn? I'm outta town still so I can't play with it yet...

MEK | SixTrak | DrumTraks | Motif 8 | DW8000 | MicroKorg | EMX1 & ESX1 | Soviet TOM | Arp Quartet | SD-1 32V | Elka 490 | Indigo 2 | E6400 | Morpheus | SQ2 | DotCom Modular

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:12 am

rharris07 wrote:I just picked up a working casiotone 701 complete with full wooden case for 20 bucks!

Anyone have one of these? They worth a damn? I'm outta town still so I can't play with it yet...
Nice. I found one in a second hand store years ago and bought it for my girlfriend at the time, they sound really nice and warm. Also there's a button to make laser sounds and one for an explosion kind of thing, which are both fantastic. For $20 that's a great find.

blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MV8800, Sub37, Integra 7, Mininova, Fusion, Biscuit, TimeFactor, SP-555, SP-404, SPD-SX
Band: Blavatsky

Post by blavatsky » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:19 pm

Gotta give a thumbs up to the stylophone I just got...by itself it's fun, but i've been running it through a guitar multieffect (delay/verb/amp modeling etc) and the thing REALLY opens up. Same with that crappy casio PT-1....I slathered it with verb and delay and reversed the recording, and it sounds very spacey-ambient BoC-ish.

rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member
Band: Ghost Fires, The Witch Family

Post by rharris07 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:00 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
rharris07 wrote:I just picked up a working casiotone 701 complete with full wooden case for 20 bucks!

Nice. I found one in a second hand store years ago and bought it for my girlfriend at the time, they sound really nice and warm. Also there's a button to make laser sounds and one for an explosion kind of thing, which are both fantastic. For $20 that's a great find.
yeah i just got this thing plugged up at home this morning, it sounds awesome! i'm really shocked at the depth of the bass on it. the drum beats are actually quite pleasing too. i've never been much of a fan of anything casio, but this here has changed my mind a bit. the two sound effect buttons don't really work though...randomly they'll work but its more often they don't it seems. not sure how to fix that. the arp messes up too but in a really, really great way...it will shift on its own but it seems to do it in time, which is amazing...it so far has worked out very cool.

a friend and i had talked about doing elevator disco music for awhile now, i think i just found the full set up for that!

MEK | SixTrak | DrumTraks | Motif 8 | DW8000 | MicroKorg | EMX1 & ESX1 | Soviet TOM | Arp Quartet | SD-1 32V | Elka 490 | Indigo 2 | E6400 | Morpheus | SQ2 | DotCom Modular

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:26 am

Just got a paia fatman for $60. I think this beats my SH-1000 for $50, but doesn't beat my Yamaha CS-20M for $60.

megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Post by megamanx » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:00 am

fully functional casio pt 20 for 2.00 U.S dollars...

Dane_Xoth
Gear: Attack uWXT Edition uQ Prophecy, W/S ex, MS 2Kr ER1 EA1 RADIAS
A X V Bk Br D SB Station,
DJ70mII R-70 S760
Spectrum Bass+Synth
FB383
Absinthe
Band: Dane[X]oth, Dortmunder

Post by Dane_Xoth » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:49 pm

I youtubed my Tascam TMD1000 and found a vid where the guy has it TDIF'd into a PCI card in the back of his 'puter.

A TDIF card? I didn't even think they made these.

So...at L&McQ to pick up a friend's desk.....check the bargin bin (basket really).

$10 TDIF PCI card. Price tag is labelled 'Vintage'. lol

They also had a Peavey Spectrum Bass for $25. Had to pass, already have one ($50) and a Spectrum Synth.
Bend it to fit, Paint it to match.

blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MV8800, Sub37, Integra 7, Mininova, Fusion, Biscuit, TimeFactor, SP-555, SP-404, SPD-SX
Band: Blavatsky

Post by blavatsky » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:20 pm

I just missed a Korg poly800 on craigslist for $25 aaargh - that thing must've been gone in like 20 minutes because the listing was brand new when I emailed.

I know they are not the considered the best but a real 8 voice analog for that cheap is reedickulous.

Logan 5
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Logan 5

Post by Logan 5 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:57 pm

My best bargain find was a Yamaha VSS-30 sampling keyboard for £2!
Boxed in mint condition.
FUSION 6HD,MICROKORG,CS2X,EM-1,SH32,HT700,MMT-8,SU10,VSS30,ION IED04,RT323,SYNSONICS DRUMS
NO COMPUTER!

http://logan5.bandcamp.com
http://soundcloud.com/logan5-1