Real analog or VA?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
projectwoofer
Band: Woofer

Real analog or VA?

Post by projectwoofer » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:37 pm

I guess this topic has been discussed before but...sometimes I wonder: is it worth it to invest (sometimes huge!) amounts of money to a real analog (VCO or DCO) synth or a decent VA (be it H/W or S/W) will do the job? How many people will tell the difference between them?

It is worth noticing that I used to be an analog purist. I believed that no VA could sound convincing...but after hearing lots of analogs and VAs I sometimes cannot tell the difference...and in the end it's music that counts, no?
http://www.myspace.com/woofergr
http://www.jumpingfish.gr/Woofer

Casio VZ-10M, Commodore 64 & MSSIAH, Dave Smith Tetra, Kawai K5000R, Korg X5, Roland D-550, Roland JD-990 (w/Vintage Synth card), Waldorf Miniworks 4pole, Yamaha TX7

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Re: Real analog or VA?

Post by CS_TBL » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:45 pm

but after hearing lots of analogs and VAs I sometimes cannot tell the difference...and in the end it's music that counts
What a wonderful conclusion for this -no doubt- popular thread! *grin*
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

Dogboy73

Post by Dogboy73 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:09 pm

CS_TBL wrote:
but after hearing lots of analogs and VAs I sometimes cannot tell the difference...and in the end it's music that counts
What a wonderful conclusion for this -no doubt- popular thread! *grin*
Indeed. Think you've killed off your own thread with that conclusion :lol: Probably a good thing before this thread descends into another VA V's Analogue/soft V's hard/VCO V's DCO type thread :?

ensoniqphreak
Gear: A stick ter bang on a holler log. Its all ye need fer musik. Gerd musik. And purdy cheap ter boot. No really though: see my sig.
Band: The Cotton Progressives

Post by ensoniqphreak » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:59 pm

VA's have thier place and are without a doubt beautifully expressive and useful instruments in their own right. That said, even the most convincing VAs (Nord Lead and Ion/ Micron come to mind) can never *completely* trick my ear into thinking they are analog. I prefer digital boards like the DX7, DS-8, and hybrids like the ESQ-1 to both VAs and Analogs so I guess I am a rare bird in that sense.
Spencer Musick (my real last name if youll believe it)

Gear: Yamaha DX7, Roland Juno-6, Ensoniq ESQ-1, CZ-101. VAs: Korg Legacy Collection, DAhornet, Omaha, SQ-8L, Arppe 2600.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:39 pm

No matter wich one. Any type of synthesis becomes useful when you learn how to get the best of it, and use its advantages for your own purposes.

I'm not a pro on Real Analog (I've owned only 1 analog).... sometimes a rompler will do better than analog on a song composition, if the sound requires it, as simple as that.

If it sounds good, use it.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:42 pm

projectwoofer wrote:...How many people will tell the difference between them?

...but after hearing lots of analogs and VAs I sometimes cannot tell the difference...
Just to clarify, are you asking if other people can hear a difference or yourself? And why the concern if someone else can?

FWIW, sometimes I wish I couldn't tell a differnece. VA's can do so much more at once, usually with vastly superior control and flexibility for different working methods. Whereas RA takes up large amounts of studio space, usually has sonic limitations one uses to exploit likeable character unique to that instrument, can be more difficult to integrate into a modern studio environment and are definately more challenging to deal with in terms of recording technique, gettting them to fit in a mix, timing issues when using Midi, etc.

That's all I can say really, as going much further is to delve into too much subjectivity, and that generally is not at all useful.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by clubbedtodeath » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:46 pm

I give this thread 2 pages before it descends into the seventh circle of voltage-controlled h**l.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:49 pm

either one would sound better than a stage-prop matrix-12

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:51 pm

Yeah, before it descends into iniquity, I wanted to add that a friend from a different forum did two full mixes with one of his tracks once, one using only soft synths, and the other using a Prophet 8, Little Phatty and Alpha Juno. The latter just sounded nicer and more natural. Maybe it was just his working method. Maybe certain subtle tonal characteristics start coming to the fore. But then again, maybe you don't want nice or natural.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:04 pm

Solderman wrote:Yeah, before it descends into iniquity, I wanted to add that a friend from a different forum did two full mixes with one of his tracks once, one using only soft synths, and the other using a Prophet 8, Little Phatty and Alpha Juno. The latter just sounded nicer and more natural. Maybe it was just his working method. Maybe certain subtle tonal characteristics start coming to the fore. But then again, maybe you don't want nice or natural.
how did he mix the two tracks? analog desk for both or mixing "in the box" for the soft synths?

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:09 pm

I'd have to ask to be sure, but I think the soft synth mix was all done in software, whereas the outboard mix was through a desk, a few tracks at a time. The drums I'm not sure about. Here's the blog. It's a good read in regards to this thread topic, as several posters point out it's more important how productive you are than what tools you own.
--Solderman no more.

Sir Nose
Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Post by Sir Nose » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:18 pm

It's like sex with or without a condom.

You know which choice is gonna feel better, but it's not always a wise choice.
Funkadelic wrote: nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:19 pm

Both sound like s**t, buy an oboe.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:30 pm

tallowwaters wrote:Both sound like s**t, buy an oboe.
f**k that, get an irish whistle instead.

CfNorENa
Gear: SEM | SH-2 | Prophet 5 | MKS-70 | Microwave XTk | Kronos || AD 202 | El Capistan | DP/4 | Eclipse | Rumour | PCM90

Post by CfNorENa » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:37 pm

Sir Nose wrote:It's like sex with or without a condom. You know which choice is gonna feel better, but it's not always a wise choice.
Well f**k me. I've read a thousand posts on this topic, and that is hands down the best analogy I've seen yet. Bravo!