Real analog or VA?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Re: Real analog or VA?

Post by madtheory » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:39 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:The difference lies in the breadth of possible sounds, using functionality, interacting with the interface, playing a variety of notes and noting the differences in the sounds and responses you get from that playing, and being able to discern (when present) subtle aspects of sound quality.
But surely that is the difference between synthesizers, not VA or RA?
Automatic Gainsay wrote:The issue is far more complex than whether an audience member is able to discern the sound quality, or whether a person can be fooled by a limited audio test.
Agreed! :)

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:31 pm

please start all buying ONLY VAs and soft synths so in a few years i'll be able to source another minimoog D for under 1k

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:15 pm

madtheory wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote:The difference lies in the breadth of possible sounds, using functionality, interacting with the interface, playing a variety of notes and noting the differences in the sounds and responses you get from that playing, and being able to discern (when present) subtle aspects of sound quality.
But surely that is the difference between synthesizers, not VA or RA?
Well, I suppose the concept can be applied in that way! :)

:::dons old fishing cap, hitches up trousers, sits on a rocking chair on the front porch, and starts waving cane:::
Gul Dern it! There is no "RA." There is "analog," and then there are the other ones! I can't stand this retroactive labeling! There is no such thing as an "analog watch," there are "watches," and then there are "digital watches!" There is no such thing as "analog tv," subsequent forms of the technology require the qualification! :::waves cane for emphasis::::
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:45 pm

Saying "RA" is a little strange... I vote wavetable!
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:56 pm

Retroactive naming? That's a good label for it. The first time I came accross it was "Ultra Narrow" SCSI. The language develops to suit our needs...

Wavetable? Eek! So now we have to add another version to the Waldorf way, and the Ensoniq way? No thanks!! Anyway, good VAs don't use a static single cycle waveform.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:08 pm

stikygum wrote: More important is probably processing the synths, mixing and mastering the music. If you do that right then you'll make any sound source sound good.
now that's the point....

If you have can't decide between both go hybrid!!!!

His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:14 pm

madtheory wrote:I bet in a blind A/B test very few of us could hear a difference between a good VA and a real analogue.
nvbrkr wrote:I bet many can.
I'd be willing to give someone $20 if they can successfully parse out what's VCO analog, what's DCO analog, what's ROMpler and what's VA/softsynth on one of my tracks.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

vin14
Gear: ∂Juno1 / BassStation Rack / CS-5 / D-50 / DX7 / Juno-106 / M1 / Minibrute / SK20 / SY85 / Trident / Voyager OS / Minimonsta / ImpOSCar
Band: oddball

Post by vin14 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:26 pm

projectwoofer wrote:I guess this topic has been discussed before but...sometimes I wonder: is it worth it to invest (sometimes huge!) amounts of money to a real analog (VCO or DCO) synth or a decent VA (be it H/W or S/W) will do the job? How many people will tell the difference between them?

It is worth noticing that I used to be an analog purist. I believed that no VA could sound convincing...but after hearing lots of analogs and VAs I sometimes cannot tell the difference...and in the end it's music that counts, no?
For me a good VA, like a virus TI is a more versatile and better value tool then a classic analog. I don't care if the VA doesn't sound exactly like the 'real' thing, once I can get it to make sounds I like. Of course the Virus is just a tool, the old analog would be also be my pride and joy! However I wouldn't drop €2000 on a prophet 5 or €4000 on JP8. I'd have to use ebay, as these items are seldom, if ever available locally. A 30 year old machine is likely to need service and repair, which would mean shipping it to the UK. It's just too risky and expensive. Unless I win the lottery, I'll stick to new models digital or analog and cheap vintage synths!

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:34 pm

tell that to this b***h:

His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:47 pm

redchapterjubilee wrote:
madtheory wrote:I bet in a blind A/B test very few of us could hear a difference between a good VA and a real analogue.
I'd be willing to give someone $20 if they can successfully parse out what's VCO analog, what's DCO analog, what's ROMpler and what's VA/softsynth on one of my tracks.
That's hardly what anyone would call a blindfold test.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:49 pm

balma wrote:tell that to this b***h:

I guess you missed 2007 then? When he sold everything except a few favourites like the modulars, and moved over entirely to Logic with a collection of softsynths? He sold the roundy house and studio also.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by balma » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:13 pm

Can't believe it! The guy was totally hooked to his analog sound "from the moon" as his described it. I suppose he got new hair too...
Last edited by balma on Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dogboy73

Post by Dogboy73 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:09 pm

madtheory wrote:
balma wrote:tell that to this b***h:

I guess you missed 2007 then? When he sold everything except a few favourites like the modulars, and moved over entirely to Logic with a collection of softsynths? He sold the roundy house and studio also.
That's right. I think most of it ended up on e-bay didn't it? But I think he's built his studio back up again now. He even spoke about this in an interview for Metro free London newspaper (Feb 2009);

http://www.metro.co.uk/showbiz/intervie ... -washed-up

"Do you hear a big change in the sound from analogue to computer synthesizers as you’ve gone over your back catalogue?"
"Definitely. The analogue synthesizers do sound warmer – I know it’s a cliché. I’ve just reassembled all mine, so the next Erasure album will revert to that"

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:10 pm

it didnt matter on that s**t music he made ;)

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:11 pm

redchapterjubilee wrote:
name a track which features all 4 (not layered please, that's unfair) with little fx and processing, and a page where we can listen to it!