Real analog or VA?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
swisstony123
Gear: Oberheim Xpander|Prophet 5|Korg Polysix|Roland Juno 106|Ensoniq ESQ-1|Synthesizers.com System-22|Roland SH-09|Roland JV-1080|Prophet 64|Matrix-1000

Re: Real analog or VA?

Post by swisstony123 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:11 am

I think that VA's make things complicated sometimes....less is more and all that jizz...I mean jazz
Keep your setup simple, make good music first then buy good, interesting, weird synths afterall the unstable make the best sounds (my dads old and crazy and has a wide sound pallette) and don't follow the rest and buy a nord. Sorry nord owners I think they're great really....honest ;)
Buy an accordian they have keys.
http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/Modula ... zer_Group/

Just started, a group for all shapes, sizes and styles of Modular Synths new or old.

soundxplorer

Post by soundxplorer » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:32 am

In my experience, VAs can emulate RAs well enough for most sounds - I'd say 90%, probably. But for that other 10%, I can absolutely tell the difference, and it does matter to me. But that difference is mostly when you start getting extreme amounts of modulation going, like audio-rate LFOs modulating a filter while it is self-resonating. This is where analogs retain their "living and breathing" nature while VAs start to show their digital bits.

Either way, I try not to get too hung up on the raw sound of a synth because I know I'm going to run it through a bunch of effects anyway, by the time the song is finished. Oh, and most of those effects will be analog...because they sound better than digital effects. :lol:

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:30 am

Thank heavens this POS thread was revived too. Surely there is some ancient Mac vs PC debate we can work our necromancy on too, eh?
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:00 pm

You're a Mod. Close the thread.

Maybe there should be an area for "Classic Threads" and ones like this can be archived and some of the traffic can be directed there. I mean, Synth Shootouts started from the anti-This-synth-verse-this-synth stance. And what do you know, enough people kept at it and eventually the site had to accomodate all the posters.

Do the same here for the stuff that comes up Again and Again and Again....
as tiring as it may be to read 1100 times, it shows that there is still interest among many of the members.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:02 pm

Hey, I like these threads, always great fun. :lol:

But a forum category called 'never ending threads' may be an idea. In there you can put all these threads, like RA vs VA, Mac vs PC, Cubase vs Logic, HW sampler vs SW sampler, etc. If people want to discuss in endless threads, they can do so, there!
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:21 am

AnalogKid wrote:The reason that everyone is talking about it is because there is a difference.
Except a lot of people have no clue what the difference is.

A lot of folks just parrot what they hear other people saying.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

tallowwaters

Post by tallowwaters » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:47 am

griffin avid wrote:You're a Mod. Close the thread.

Maybe there should be an area for "Classic Threads" and ones like this can be archived and some of the traffic can be directed there. I mean, Synth Shootouts started from the anti-This-synth-verse-this-synth stance. And what do you know, enough people kept at it and eventually the site had to accomodate all the posters.

Do the same here for the stuff that comes up Again and Again and Again....
as tiring as it may be to read 1100 times, it shows that there is still interest among many of the members.
I'm not going to close a thread because I think is 100% asinine. h**l, I'm inclined to let a lot of people type 10 pages of text but not actually say anything. If anything, it keeps them out of the real world, where I am more likely to run into them. Also, I don't mod this forum.

And people have little interest in the thread itself. Most of their interest is in demonstrating how right and correct their opinion is, at least in regards to how wrong another person's opinion is perceived. If it was otherwise, I might would be inclined to participate in a constructive manner.

tallowwaters

Post by tallowwaters » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:51 am

CS_TBL wrote:Hey, I like these threads, always great fun. :lol:

But a forum category called 'never ending threads' may be an idea. In there you can put all these threads, like RA vs VA, Mac vs PC, Cubase vs Logic, HW sampler vs SW sampler, etc. If people want to discuss in endless threads, they can do so, there!
But instead of actually being able to post, they have to look at pictures of girls outside, like, near trees and nature and stuff. :lol:

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:26 pm

tallowwaters wrote:Most of their interest is in demonstrating how right and correct their opinion is, at least in regards to how wrong another person's opinion is perceived.
You're wrong about that.

And I'm more right about you being wrong than you are in your wrongness.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:43 pm

:lol: i missed you AG

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:57 pm

pflosi wrote::lol: i missed you AG
one day at a time man, one day at a time ;)

tallowwaters

Post by tallowwaters » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:16 am

pflosi wrote::lol: i missed you AG
Easy for you to say, he hasn't been sleeping in your pool house, drinking all of your off-brand Mexican soda, and leaving vintage copies of Club lying around your bathroom.

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by clubbedtodeath » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:34 am

Ooo! Which issues? The Betty Grable and Martha Stewart editions??

:read:

JJQ

Post by JJQ » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:16 am

I know this discussion shoud end, but.

After all this is a vintage synth forum, and I think it should be the right place to bash VAs and software.

If I wanted to discuss the superiority of VAs Id think that there are other forums, dedicated to modern techniques.
Gear: Minimoog, Mother-32, Roland MC-202, TB-303, (Boss) DR-110, TR-505, TR-808, Alpha Juno 2, Jupiter-8, Oberheim SEM, .com/oakley/moon/mos-lab/STG/Sputnik/MegaOhm-modular & Microbrute

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:12 pm

JJQ wrote:I know this discussion shoud end, but.

After all this is a vintage synth forum, and I think it should be the right place to bash VAs and software.
You're wrong.