Moogerfooger cp-251-will it be good enough for MY voltages??

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
holybalm!
Gear: roland sh-3, Tom Oberheim SEM pp,System 100m keyboard controller, MPC500 MFB 503, Yamaha SU-10, Frostwave resonator,Vesta Kozo MIDI-CV .Korg DDM-110
Band: holy balm, H&H

Moogerfooger cp-251-will it be good enough for MY voltages??

Post by holybalm! » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:15 pm

was thinking of getting a CP 251, and using it to give a few extra options to my new Tom Oberheim SEM patch panel. I wanna few extra features and I like the size/portability of the cp in comparison to going eurorack

I specifically want some advice about the Lag processor- am I going to be able to patch my keyboard CV through it to get a proper and precise Portamento effect, or will it screw up my tuning? How would it compare to say, the Roland SH series Portamentos that I really dig?

thanks!
myspace.com/holybalm , myspace.com/hochmanhopkins

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Re: Moogerfooger cp-251-will it be good enough for MY voltages??

Post by pflosi » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:34 pm

I guess you wouldnt have problems with volt values... and IMO on portamento the slope is the most important thing.

jcn7
Gear: K2500, Vsynth, Karp, Prophecy, Volcas, Monotribes, Oasys PCI, Oberheim Matrix, SEMs, Nord Drums, Microbrute, Yamaha EX5R, + multiple Euro modulars.

Post by jcn7 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:19 pm

I too have a new OB SEM patch panel version, and the very best portamento comes from my Future Retro XS. It is very Oberheimish...(non linear.)...very musical! I just hook up the CV and Gate outs from the FR XS to the OB and it works beautifully! It is set up to respond when you are playing legato automatically. When I had the Future Retro Orb, it too had a nice portamento that could be used on the OB. I also had a CP251 and it was nice but the XS was much better IMHO. The CP251 can also do some really cool things and expand the OB, but the XS can too! I ended up in the end using my XS's portamento on the OB, and building a small euro to supplement my OB, XS Moog LP TE, Korg Monopoly and MS-20. Anyway, hope that gives you some ideas...for me the portamento effect is extremely important on any synth but even more so on an oberheim! Jaime
PS. You also might look into the Moog MP201 with the latest software...it has both linear and non linear portamento.

Image Image

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:37 pm

Just tested this out (SEM and CP251)-no tuning issues, and it sounds good (sounds exponential to my ears). I hadn't even thought to do this yet as I was using the portamento on my Kenton, but I can see preferring the increased control of the CP to handle that. The CP in general makes a great addition to the SEM if you don't already have other modular gear. It adds just enough basic things to make the patchpanel actually useable (including an ULTRA-slow LFO if you patch the CP correctly)

EDIT: this is probably a buyer's guide topic
Last edited by Sir Ruff on Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do you even post on vse bro?

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:43 pm

New rule:
No one is aloud to talk about the new patchable SEM anymore!
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:54 pm

otto wrote:New rule:
No one is aloud to talk about the new patchable SEM anymore!
Can we mutter quietly under our breath about it? :lol:

Is this decree out of fear of wanting to buy one, or general SEM saturation?
Do you even post on vse bro?

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:01 pm

Wanting one... I've wanted one since it was announced. I really, honestly am trying to put it to the back of my head. The idea of the SEM and a smallish euro-rack is really appealing. However I have great gear I need to focus on and ignore the rest. Ignore it god damnit!!!
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:14 pm

you know otto, no matter it's v/oct vs hz/v, this would make a great addition to your new MS 20 ;)

holybalm!
Gear: roland sh-3, Tom Oberheim SEM pp,System 100m keyboard controller, MPC500 MFB 503, Yamaha SU-10, Frostwave resonator,Vesta Kozo MIDI-CV .Korg DDM-110

Post by holybalm! » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:01 pm

Thanks for the responses! I think I might get one, despite my desire to go Eurorack, this will save lots of space (as the SEM will be part of my live rig) and a little bit of money in the short term, and a lot of money in the long term! Oh yeah and the XS does look awesome, keep hearing good things, but I aint gonna acquire another synth just yet, I actually was looking at s/h mobius in a second hald shop here in sydney, and I understand it's glide is really good too.
You are right! it is a buyers guide question!

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:39 am

Holy balm! Welcome to vse, I love your stuff!

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:56 am

holybalm! wrote:Thanks for the responses! I think I might get one, despite my desire to go Eurorack, this will save lots of space (as the SEM will be part of my live rig) and a little bit of money in the short term, and a lot of money in the long term! Oh yeah and the XS does look awesome, keep hearing good things, but I aint gonna acquire another synth just yet, I actually was looking at s/h mobius in a second hald shop here in sydney, and I understand it's glide is really good too.
You are right! it is a buyers guide question!
A music gear second-hand shop? What's it called? I'm going to Sydney later this year, no really sure of the gear hotspots yet. ;)

And welcome to VSE =D>

holybalm!

Post by holybalm! » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:33 am

Hey the shop is Pete's Musicians Market, in Newtown, lots of second hand stuff. nice staff. I'd also point ya towards Global Vintage, they are into guitars, I wouldn't expect to find any synths, but lots of pedals there.

Thanks Stab Frenzy! did you see us play?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:22 am

No I haven't seen you guys live, I'm in Melbourne and think I was OS when you came down here so just heard it. I've mixed Pagan Dawn though, and I know NOTV kids and stuff.

holybalm!

Post by holybalm! » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:02 pm

Oh yeah! cool cool, I remember it well, Summer winds! See you round man.