first thing you do when getting a new synth.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Re: first thing you do when getting a new synth.

Post by Sir Ruff » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:25 pm

Hybrid88 wrote:Hmm, am I the only one who actually cleans it first thing?! With the Sir Ruff's of this world I am taking no risks! :lol:

Dirty, dirty vintage synths... :D
yes, you've got to be careful with dirty buggers like us around... Nothing hampers your "new" synth fun more than finding a pubic hair stuck in the ON switch.
Do you even post on vse bro?

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:39 pm

CS_TBL wrote:Dudes.. all these stories..

It's not software that threatens hardware, it's women!
So, right after I posted here I did my obligatory Craigslist check before leaving work and found a Korg Kaossilator for a very good price so I called the guy on the way home and told him I would have to clear it with the wife firrst.

I cleared it with the Mrs. (it was actually below my self-imposed price limit where I feel l8ike I have to clear it with her but since I just posted all that cloak-and-dagger stuff about sneaking synths into the house I figured I better get approval from the only person in our marriage who owns a v****a) and I went to go pick it up.

I was planning on flipping it because the price was good enough for me to make a little profit and still give the next guy a discount.

As I was playing/esting it in the kitchen I showed her what it can do and she played a little and said that maybe I shoudl keep it.

Funny how being honest actually works sometimes....

speak_onion
Gear: Octatrack, G2 Engine
Band: Speak Onion

Post by speak_onion » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:54 pm

reese bass

rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member
Band: Ghost Fires, The Witch Family

Post by rharris07 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:07 pm

Cumulus wrote:The first thing I do is to sneak it into the house and hide it amongst the rest of my gear and hope the wife doesn’t notice it for a while.

Then I spend the next few months playing it exclusively through headphones after she goes to sleep.

i cannot count how many times this has happened. and will probably continue to happen. the one thing i can't believe is that she has yet to really notice the prophet'08. its got the brightest lights, its the loudest - its what i use a h**l of a lot, and freak out if anyone goes near it...but she hasn't said a word. all she notices is the motif 8 (probably cause its 300lbs!).

the bad thing about the headphones after she goes to sleep - the look you get from the hallway when you realize you've been caught. daaaamn that takes some time to get use to that evil glare! and the definite cold shoulder when you finally get in bed.

MEK | SixTrak | DrumTraks | Motif 8 | DW8000 | MicroKorg | EMX1 & ESX1 | Soviet TOM | Arp Quartet | SD-1 32V | Elka 490 | Indigo 2 | E6400 | Morpheus | SQ2 | DotCom Modular

loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Post by loungedumore » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:13 pm

Try to figure out were it's going to fit ... never plan for these things :oops:
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:17 pm

Jesus, do your wives have jobs? I love my girlfriend, but she knows she would get a prompt "shut the f**k up b***h" if she ever 'confronted' me about my finances, just as I would expect her to do the same to me. 'Clearing' s**t with somebody just sounds downright pathetic. She makes her money and takes care of herself and I do the same, whatever we do with the excess is nobody's business.

I suppose this is all null if your girlfriend is buying the s**t for you.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by rharris07 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:26 pm

tallowwaters wrote:Jesus, do your wives have jobs? I love my girlfriend, but she knows she would get a prompt "shut the f**k up b***h" if she ever 'confronted' me about my finances, just as I would expect her to do the same to me. 'Clearing' s**t with somebody just sounds downright pathetic. She makes her money and takes care of herself and I do the same, whatever we do with the excess is nobody's business.

hahaha, believe me...the girlfriend life versus being married...the most absolutely different situation in life. you'll never have the girlfriend life again once you're married. ever.

and yeah, my wife makes just about as much as i do, so its our money...we don't keep seperate accounts or anything like that, so if i spend 1300 bucks - it could be hers, could be mine...and if she buys a new workout machine for 1300, i'd like to know about it first! it goes both ways for sure. i just try to conceil my purchases when it comes to music because she keeps reminding me it doesn't make any money at all for me, so i should curb my spending on it and enjoy what i have. she apparently doesn't realize this is an addiction once you get into it. there is no stopping.

MEK | SixTrak | DrumTraks | Motif 8 | DW8000 | MicroKorg | EMX1 & ESX1 | Soviet TOM | Arp Quartet | SD-1 32V | Elka 490 | Indigo 2 | E6400 | Morpheus | SQ2 | DotCom Modular

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:41 pm

tallowwaters wrote:Jesus, do your wives have jobs? I love my girlfriend, but she knows she would get a prompt "shut the f**k up b***h" if she ever 'confronted' me about my finances, just as I would expect her to do the same to me. 'Clearing' s**t with somebody just sounds downright pathetic. She makes her money and takes care of herself and I do the same, whatever we do with the excess is nobody's business.

:lol:

Must look Cumulus' case at this way: he just get one thing for another.... what do you know about what Mr Cumulus gets in exchange for having his wife pending of his finances.... ;)

Oh yes, oh yes..... :mrgreen:

Cumulus must build a secret basement where he can give a good bumming or scrotum rubbing to each one of his synths with privacy....
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:09 am

Take a picture of it and post it to a gear forum.

redroomrecordings
Gear: Virus TI . Virus C . Blofeld . Maschine
Band: Distorted Memory / CAKEBUILDER

Post by redroomrecordings » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:25 am

wow. i feel bad for some of you guys. this is why my wife and i keep separate finances, and split shared bills down the middle. whatever i have left over is mine to spend on whatever silly stuff i want. the only time i have to clear things with her is if im putting things on our shared visa, and even then i sometimes dont say anything.

rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by rharris07 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:46 am

for me it wouldn't be so bad if we weren't saving for a new house right now. every time a new record arrives in the mail, or a new synth pops up - she has to remind me that whatever i paid for that just set us back another day or week or whatever on saving for the new house. ehh...she is right. i need to stop buying so we can move into a brand new home, and i can finally set an extra bedroom up totally as an isolated studio room.

so no one sell any synths to me for a year, please! i gotta stop!

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:18 am

rharris07 wrote: so no one sell any synths to me for a year, please! i gotta stop!
wanna buy an A6 for cheap??

j/k
:twisted:
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:29 am

speak_onion wrote:reese bass
Only possible on a select few nice synths IMO.
Sir Ruff wrote:
Hybrid88 wrote:Hmm, am I the only one who actually cleans it first thing?! With the Sir Ruff's of this world I am taking no risks! :lol:

Dirty, dirty vintage synths... :D
yes, you've got to be careful with dirty buggers like us around... Nothing hampers your "new" synth fun more than finding a pubic hair stuck in the ON switch.
Oh God, don't remind me - my JP6 spits the short and curlys from under the keys now and then, not nice finding someone else's curly one's on the key you just pressed, need to clean it badly :cry:

rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by rharris07 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:30 am

shaft9000 wrote:
rharris07 wrote: so no one sell any synths to me for a year, please! i gotta stop!
wanna buy an A6 for cheap??

j/k
:twisted:

h**l YES!!

Murderhausen
Gear: Anyone want a Polivoks?

Post by Murderhausen » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:39 am

I've usually read the manual while the synth is in transit, so the first thing I do when I get one is set it up and begin programming familiar patches. Usually something simple like a bass or string patch at first that doesn't matter too much in case the patch naming and saving is confusing and can cause me to accidentally erase the patch I've just made. I also enjoy programming a typical and familiar sound to compare the machine to others of its kind before digging around for its particular strengths.
Voyager XL*LittlePhatty*ElektronTrinity*ProOne*Mono/Poly*NordLead2X/3*Juno106*JX3P*JX10*JP8000*VirusKB*Blofeld*Ion*OctaveKitten*Polivoks*MS2000*AN1X*AlphaJuno1/2*ESQ1*SVC350*MG1*CS15*DX7II*etc...