first thing you do when getting a new synth.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
tom Cadillac
Gear: FS1R, EPS, JP8000, Kaos pad, Ineko, SP606, Mopho, MP7 and so on....
Band: Bipolarbass

Re: first thing you do when getting a new synth.

Post by tom Cadillac » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:36 am

On the wifely medussa stare thing. I used to get confronted (on some dumb/wierd s**t) while I was in the middle of recording. Like I'm right in the middle of a live bass groove and she opens the door and wants my full attention Immediately (on some dumb/wierd s**t). Now I have a studio with a locked door. And she does not have a key.

Don't know about seperate finances and stuff - whatever works I guess. But a seperate work space. Yes! :D
"On the following day , the sorcery undespairingly continued: I changed my series, chose other sequences, cut other lengths, spliced different progressions, and hoped afresh for a miracle in sound." (Stockhausen)

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:40 am

Murderhausen wrote:I've usually read the manual while the synth is in transit, so the first thing I do when I get one is set it up and begin programming familiar patches. Usually something simple like a bass or string patch at first that doesn't matter too much in case the patch naming and saving is confusing and can cause me to accidentally erase the patch I've just made. I also enjoy programming a typical and familiar sound to compare the machine to others of its kind before digging around for its particular strengths.
I do about the same.

But usually I read the manual to get myself even more excited for it's arrival, and so I have a better understanding of how to use it.
soundcloud.com/vectron

Trom69

Post by Trom69 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:12 am

Alex E wrote:
Murderhausen wrote:I've usually read the manual while the synth is in transit, so the first thing I do when I get one is set it up and begin programming familiar patches. Usually something simple like a bass or string patch at first that doesn't matter too much in case the patch naming and saving is confusing and can cause me to accidentally erase the patch I've just made. I also enjoy programming a typical and familiar sound to compare the machine to others of its kind before digging around for its particular strengths.
I do about the same.

But usually I read the manual to get myself even more excited for it's arrival, and so I have a better understanding of how to use it.
I like to read the manual before deciding for a purchase. When the synth arrive I'll play it right away (and listen to the patches, if it is a preset synth), just to get a general feel. Then I'll probably read the manual again...
Cracking softsynths for virtual circuit-bending

Murderhausen
Gear: Anyone want a Polivoks?

Post by Murderhausen » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:26 am

Trom69 wrote:
Alex E wrote:
I do about the same.

I like to read the manual before deciding for a purchase. When the synth arrive I'll play it right away (and listen to the patches, if it is a preset synth), just to get a general feel. Then I'll probably read the manual again...

I guess I usually get excited about a synth first, read a bunch of reviews, then check the manual for clarification on features. I read the entire manual cover to cover in a more ritualistic fashion either after I've paid for a synth or after it's arrived.
Voyager XL*LittlePhatty*ElektronTrinity*ProOne*Mono/Poly*NordLead2X/3*Juno106*JX3P*JX10*JP8000*VirusKB*Blofeld*Ion*OctaveKitten*Polivoks*MS2000*AN1X*AlphaJuno1/2*ESQ1*SVC350*MG1*CS15*DX7II*etc...

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:04 pm

rharris07 wrote:

hahaha, believe me...the girlfriend life versus being married...the most absolutely different situation in life. you'll never have the girlfriend life again once you're married. ever.
I've likely been with my girlfriend longer that most of these people have been with their wives. I don't buy the whole marriage changes everything bit. I won't change and she won't change, so I don't see our interactions changing. We might be different, as we were friends before we were dating.
balma wrote:
Must look Cumulus' case at this way: he just get one thing for another.... what do you know about what Mr Cumulus gets in exchange for having his wife pending of his finances.... ;)

Oh yes, oh yes..... :mrgreen:
Not a man on this planet that gets laid better than I do. The best part is that I have to do nothing (outside the bedroom/kitchen/shower/alley/yard) in return since we both like each other and want to have sex. The day sex gets used as a tool is the day it's over, we both agree on that.
redroomrecordings wrote:wow. i feel bad for some of you guys. this is why my wife and i keep separate finances, and split shared bills down the middle. whatever i have left over is mine to spend on whatever silly stuff i want.
This, exactly.

Down with neutered Ray Ramono male that media has made you to be.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:46 pm

tom Cadillac wrote:On the wifely medussa stare thing. I used to get confronted (on some dumb/wierd s**t) while I was in the middle of recording. Like I'm right in the middle of a live bass groove and she opens the door and wants my full attention Immediately (on some dumb/wierd s**t). Now I have a studio with a locked door. And she does not have a key.

Don't know about seperate finances and stuff - whatever works I guess. But a seperate work space. Yes! :D
Mine likes to burst in the room when I am recording and ask me questions knowign that I am wearign headphones and can't hear her.

One time I was working with a friend's Fantom and I only had it for a couple of hours (don't ask. Sometimes you just need a ROMpler). She thought it would be funny to come in and kick me in the butt while I was recording a pretty difficult solo. I managed to get through it but it was difficult.

We are talkign about an addition to the house that would incorporate studio space for me and there is defintiely going to be a lock on the door. I am even thinking about a little light up "On Air" sign outside the door so she will know not to disturb me while I am working in there.

We actually keep separate finances and we each have bills that we take care of. There is no fighting about money and if I really want something I get it. The only exception was the Etherwave Pro theremin. When they were discontinuing it I wanted to buy two or three but she put the kibosh on that. Now that they are going for $6k or more (original price around $1,500) she doesn't question my purchases too much. When she does I just bring up the Etherwave Pro and she skulks off, knowing that we could have gotten a 300% return on as much money as we wanted to invest....

Sometimes I will buy something with the intent to resell it and she convinces me to keep it. That happened with the Mini Moog. I was undecided as to whether I would keep it and for how long. As soon as I got the black paint off of it and the pretty, shiny wood finish showed she started saying I should keep it.

I keep wondering if she isn't in the stuido room when I am at work plunking away on the instruments.....

soundxplorer

Post by soundxplorer » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:50 pm

Usually I plug it in and start twiddling the knobs.
In the case of my most recent eBay purchase though, the first thing I did was send the seller an email telling him that when packing rackmount gear it is always a good idea to put at least SOME packing material on both ends of the unit, around the rack ears, so they don't get BENT when UPS drops the box. And UPS will ALWAYS drop the box.
THEN I turned it on to make sure it worked. It did. Yay.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:30 pm

Hybrid88 wrote:
speak_onion wrote:reese bass
Only possible on a select few nice synths IMO.
Sir Ruff wrote:
Hybrid88 wrote:Hmm, am I the only one who actually cleans it first thing?! With the Sir Ruff's of this world I am taking no risks! :lol:

Dirty, dirty vintage synths... :D
yes, you've got to be careful with dirty buggers like us around... Nothing hampers your "new" synth fun more than finding a pubic hair stuck in the ON switch.
Oh God, don't remind me - my JP6 spits the short and curlys from under the keys now and then, not nice finding someone else's curly one's on the key you just pressed, need to clean it badly :cry:
eeeeewwwwwww.... :shock:
Do you even post on vse bro?

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:02 pm

Cumulus wrote:[ She thought it would be funny to come in and kick me in the butt while I was recording a pretty difficult solo. I managed to get through it but it was difficult.

We actually keep separate finances and we each have bills that we take care of. There is no fighting about money and if I really want something I get it.
JA! So the core of your history, is that your wife just like to have some fun with you synth's addiction, she ask for some attention, or she just likes to be pissing around...
:lol:

I would start some trombone classes....
Last edited by balma on Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:21 pm

I don’t do anything too unusual. I research, buy, play, read manual, play some more. I think my wife thinks that most synths cost about $300 so when an Virus TI or P5 arrives at the door it doesn’t really mean anything. That’s not due to me misleading her, she’s just not interested. We do pool our finances but it doesn’t stop either of us from doing and buying what we individually want and it would be a total PITA to pay the bills otherwise (I could see how this would be a problem if one or both were irresponsible). She has a hard time determining the differences unless it’s there is something obviously different. She came back from a business trip and I had my MS-20 on the dinner table. I tried to convince her that I had it all along but she was sure that I didn’t have a synth that looked like a “switchboard” before.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:58 am

balma wrote:
Cumulus wrote:[ She thought it would be funny to come in and kick me in the butt while I was recording a pretty difficult solo. I managed to get through it but it was difficult.

We actually keep separate finances and we each have bills that we take care of. There is no fighting about money and if I really want something I get it.
JA! So the core of your history, is that your wife just like to have some fun with you synth's addiction, she ask for some attention, or she just likes to be pissing around...
:lol:

I would start some trombone classes....
...or maybe bagpipes...

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:23 am

I always figured Shared Finances were about the two of you saving up for something specific.
Paying off a car...
Remodeling...
An addition...etc..

When you have a goal in place for savings, then yeah, it does seem weird if every month a new shiny toy is showing up. I have friends whose wives leave the shopping bags in the trunk so he won't know she's been out shopping.

The same way you say "Oh, I always had this synth" She says "this dress isn't new".

On Topic: I can spend a very long time and take multiple trips to the hardware store trying to integrate a new piece into my set up. You never know the exact fit or size until the piece shows up. Usually the new guy has to be in arms reach -which means there's a major shake up in the foodchain.
Someone might get unplugged and left standing sideways.

In a super-nerd move, I use a small picture of the actual synth to indicate which mixer channel. So I'm downloading 'stickers' to put on my mixing desk. Then I have to update my sound-routing and MIDI charts (who connects to what...MIDI controllers..). Buy a soft editor...grab any additional resources off the site....additional soundpacks/banks....PDF of manual (if I didn't have it)...updates/firmware...

I almost never to get to use the synth the first night it arrives. It's a ritual.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

Christopher Winkels
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Christopher Winkels » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:45 pm

Given that I make more than twice what my wife does, she gets very little (read: no) say in what I bring home from the music shop. And if she does whinge I point out to her that two thirds of what I buy is used anyway, so depreciation is not an issue. In those cases what I spend is largely returned to me later when I sell it. Items bought new I tend to hold onto anyway.

But returning to the original question, I tend to plug it in and just flip through presets if it has them. I do the "zero it out and build a patch from scratch" thing at the store, because I want to hear how something sounds completely dry with filters wide open and nothing but the beating of oscillators to created animation. Only if I'm satisfied then do I plunk down the plastic. Once I've gone through all the presets I set about deleting the worst ones right away so that I know which memory slots are available. Of course, my gear list has largely devolved to a large number of machines with no presets whatsoever, so I save myself a lot of time these days. ;)

Instrument Panel

Post by Instrument Panel » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:34 pm

One of the first things I do is back up the presets if possible. :geek:

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:37 pm

griffin avid wrote: When you have a goal in place for savings, then yeah, it does seem weird if every month a new shiny toy is showing up. I have friends whose wives leave the shopping bags in the trunk so he won't know she's been out shopping.

The same way you say "Oh, I always had this synth" She says "this dress isn't new".

Well I do have a separate synth fund (guess I should have mentioned that), primarily because it helps me keep track but that account is mostly self replenishing. That's why she doesn't know what I've bought. As far as knowing if she has bought a "new dress" all I have to do is look at our account. I know all relationships don't work the same, but we don't have money "issues", we are both responsible and reasonable and have a fair amount of self control.

To further divert this thread:
Utah is full of people with some archaic idea that the woman needs to stay at home, raise kids and do housework. I work with a bunch of these people and I really feel bad for their situations. While it initially seems that this might be an anti-feminist thing (which it is to an extent) most of the women desire this lifestyle. What’s worse is that many expect to still have the standard of living of a family with 2 working adults. So these guys I work with, who have good jobs and make decent money either live near poverty to support their non-working wife and 5 kids or they have a wife and a kid or two and the wife spends most the day shopping and hanging out with other non-working wives (and they need the nicer car to do this, of course). The funniest part of all is that these guys with housewives have wives that aren’t into cooking or cleaning so I really am left wondering where is benefit in all of this to the guy? Oh and many of these guys have 2 jobs just to make ends meet…
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again