first thing you do when getting a new synth.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Re: first thing you do when getting a new synth.

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:57 pm

otto wrote:To further divert this thread:
Utah is full of people with some archaic idea that the woman needs to stay at home, raise kids and do housework. I work with a bunch of these people and I really feel bad for their situations. While it initially seems that this might be an anti-feminist thing (which it is to an extent) most of the women desire this lifestyle. What’s worse is that many expect to still have the standard of living of a family with 2 working adults. So these guys I work with, who have good jobs and make decent money either live near poverty to support their non-working wife and 5 kids or they have a wife and a kid or two and the wife spends most the day shopping and hanging out with other non-working wives (and they need the nicer car to do this, of course). The funniest part of all is that these guys with housewives have wives that aren’t into cooking or cleaning so I really am left wondering where is benefit in all of this to the guy? Oh and many of these guys have 2 jobs just to make ends meet…
This might be the best sales pitch for getting more women to move to Utah that I've ever seen! (likewise, the recent NG article on that hold out polygamous mormon sect-where some of the leaders have up to 26 wives-would be the best sales pitch for men) :lol:
Do you even post on vse bro?

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:29 pm

The polygamists groups are just creepy as all h**l. It's nothing like "Big Love". They are all inbred, very literally. Probably the biggest degree of seperation between them and any of their wives is first cousin. They have the largest concentration of a rare disease called fumarase deficiency, which is cause by decades of close inbreeding. It causes retardation and deformation in the children born with it. Outside of the "hilldale/collorado city" groups, where it is common, it is an extremely rare disease.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:32 pm

Instrument Panel wrote:One of the first things I do is back up the presets if possible. :geek:
That makes sense. I don’t understand the people who say they immediately erase all of the presets – as if every preset ever made for any synth anywhere is automatically total c**p. I mean, certainly, the people who designed and built the synth could never have any clue about how to program it, right?

Don’t get me wrong. I see the value in learning to program sounds from scratch but there is also value in dialing up a sound that is close to what you want and learning how to alter a few parameters to make it perfect. You also might get a whole new sound that you wouldn't have come up with from scracth. h**l, there’s even value in playing a preset with no modification at all if it’s a good preset.

Besides, when it’s time to sell, you might get a little more cash if the presets are restored so it makes perfect sense to back them up before messing with them.

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:58 pm

"I mean, certainly, the people who designed and built the synth could never have any clue about how to program it, right?"

Careful, you're venturing into 'the twisted mind of an artist'. Not a musician, but an artist.
One who wants absolute control/authority over their own creative contribution ...to their own music.

Um...to some, any foreign input is a dilution of their vision and the totality of their work must come from within.
In other words, almost everything (if not everything) must come from scratch.

There is a snobbish/elitist/ego slant to this, which is why they can never explain this without insulting another artist.
It's a dangerous place to visit since it's something that should be determined BY THE ARTIST.

It's subjective. It's subjective.
It's a personal decision. It's a personal decision.

Style?
Loops?
Sample?
Presets?
Grooves?
Tradition?
Templates?
Convention?

See, if one were in a band, they might not have ANYTHING to do with the Bassline because band member X created it, played it etc...and that person would have no trouble feeling like the song was theirs. James Mtume (of Juicy Fruit fame for a legendary record reference) speaks of "The arrogance of Isolation" where a person feels like they have to do it all or else...

I know there are levels of purist for everything, but if you smash off an incredible solo on a synth and your PERFORMANCE was the thing that shines, it might not matter much whether the sound was preset 123 or something you created. Your playing is what you want credit for.

For others it's the sound design aspects or even clever programming.

So for many the first thing they do Is challenge themselves by using all of their experience and skill to create their own signature sound inside of their new purchase -hoping to add a new dimension to their creativity, afforded by the unique features of the new synth.

Accomplishing this may justify the addition of a new shiny toy.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:43 pm

That is a great explanation of something that has baffled me for a while now.

I still think there is a lot to learn from tweaking the presets but you have given me a glimpse into the mind-set of a "preset killer" that puts it into persepctive.

I appreciate the enlightenment.

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:29 pm

You are totally right. There is a lot to learn from a Reverse-Engineering aspect. But to be honest, it's as said earlier. Pretty arrogant to think only the new owner of a synth can make a usable (your own records worthy) sound/preset. Not every tone in a record needs to be that weird, hard to figure, super-evolving- snappy enveloped - modulated thingie. How about the moment your song needs a thick bass. Lots of those under...um the Category Bass.

I also think programming synths is pretty straightforward depending on the type of synthesis.
If you wrap your head around Subtractive Synthesis- you now only need to figure out how to get at those settings in the new synth. Yeah, it's a curve, but not same as starting from concept one.

Plus, synths ship with 100s and 100s of presets. It's not like before with only 64 sounds to choose from.
I still don't think I've heard every preset on the Moog Voyager. It's just too many and you gotta stop and make music while sound surfing.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:36 am

BUMP.

I clean it, take a photo of it and upload it on facebook.

Then I play "Dirty Mind" by Prince on it.

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Post by rhino » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:15 pm

Boring post by the old man.

100% of my synth purchases are broken, dead, as-is, etc.

Before buying a synth I would have downloaded the manual and viewed every review I could find.
Once purchased, I download or buy the schematic/service manual.

When the synth arrives, it's triage time:

1) fix and sell
2) fix, mod and sell
3) keep (alas, far too many seen to go here!)

The last two get looked over and toyed with then shelved for later.

The "fix and sell" pile gets triaged again:

1) minor repair and cleaning
2) more complex problems, many parts needed
3) basket cases: needs rare parts, plastic and wood parts reproduced, paint and lettering, etc.

Got quite a stash of #2 and #3s filling the basement... Hope I live long enought to finish them and send them on their way.

Just sold a bunch on Ebay, so I'm taking a break and working on my "KEEPER" boards for a while.
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius