Like A Pen, Drum Machine?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Mati
Gear: Minimoog Old School, Fender Rhodes MkI, Nord Electro 3, Akai XR20, Stylophone, Fender Stratocaster, Gretsch G5120, Taylor 12-string, Lots of pedals

Like A Pen, Drum Machine?

Post by Mati » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:05 pm

Dear Everybody,

I came across this fantastic song and started to wonder how they made the clickin' in the intro. My guess would be a drum machine playing some constant drum, where they fiddle with the tempo, but I'm a bit new to synths so I would like to hear your take :D

And also, is there any way that I would be able to make this sound with either a computer, Blofeld og Voyager?

Thanks! :D

rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member
Band: Ghost Fires, The Witch Family

Re: Like A Pen, Drum Machine?

Post by rharris07 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:07 pm

didn't they use machinedrums for that album?

MEK | SixTrak | DrumTraks | Motif 8 | DW8000 | MicroKorg | EMX1 & ESX1 | Soviet TOM | Arp Quartet | SD-1 32V | Elka 490 | Indigo 2 | E6400 | Morpheus | SQ2 | DotCom Modular

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:40 pm

Sounds like a sample of that drippy sound with an attack loop or repeating loop on it and pitch tweaked. Pitching down slows the sample down as well as the loop, and pitching up speeds up the sample loop. Makes short percussive sounds more interesting rather than using a one-hit , single-loop sample.

Example: - All Yamaha RS7000 :D

I'm not going to say impossible to do with the synths you mentioned, but it'll probably be easier to do on a sampler that has attack loop and repeat capabilities which is common on most of them. However, it might help to have a synth or midi controller midied up to the sampler to manually control the pitch tweaks, if the sampler don't have, via a physical knob or pitch wheel. Preferably a knob or wheel that has a center notch or spring. There are software samplers that can do it (what can't they do?), so a computer isn't out of the question.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

ThinkTanx
Gear: Elektron MnM SFX-6, MD UW MkII * Virus TI * Moog Voyager S.E. * Lemur * Ableton, FM8, Massive, FAW Circle * Distressors, Great River * Genelec 8050A

Post by ThinkTanx » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:16 am

rharris07 wrote:didn't they use machinedrums for that album?
Yes. That album has Machinedrum and Monomachine all over it.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:33 pm

Agreed, I bet they have helped sell quite a Elektron products.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

electro funker

Post by electro funker » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:10 pm

I think that many of the knife´s sounds can be reproduced really, really easy, with allmost no effort and no expensive machines. I know I´m mainly a software guy after all, but the click sound is just a synth with fast attack, allmost no decay, no susutain and no release. The buffer thing (pitching down/up stuff) can be done with some granulating effects like destroy fx´s bufferoverride. It´s not because I don´t like the knife, thier sound is spot on, but it isn´t that difficult. Be creative, analyse the sound. How is the envelope? What does make this sound special? Be creative, that is what music is about :-)