how to make a Mini sound bad

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Re: how to make a Mini sound bad

Post by tekkentool » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:41 am

Cumulus wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:
tekkentool wrote:Why is gearwire so pathetic?
I think they just buy the synths they review, bring them home for an hour and shoot the video and then take them back to the shop for a refund. They don't have time to learn the layout of the synth or get to know how to use it properly which is why they're so bad. One of the guys from gearwire posted here after everyone was bagging them about their SH201/SH101 review and explained this is the way they do it.
That's crappy way to do a video.

Who would want to watch a demo by someone who doesn't know how to use the synth?

G-G-G-G-G-UNIT

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:00 am

shaft9000 wrote:Gearwire
As soon as I read that it all made sense. The only people that might give them praise are youtube bacteria. They are probably community college broadcasting majors that wanted to make a show.

They could just do unboxing videos where they read the box, specs and tell you what the piece of gear looks like but they even f**k that up. It's like watching a car wreck.
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)

Post by tekkentool » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:14 am

RobotHeroes wrote:
As soon as I read that it all made sense. The only people that might give them praise are youtube bacteria. They are probably community college broadcasting majors that wanted to make a show.

They could just do unboxing videos where they read the box, specs and tell you what the piece of gear looks like but they even f**k that up. It's like watching a car wreck.
sonic state is at least half okay, with that bald guy. SS's reviews/demo's have substance and cover most of the bases pretty well.

But why does gearwire actually bother?

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:21 am

tekkentool wrote:But why does gearwire actually bother?
Maybe they know they suck and are just trolling.
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

Primal Drive

Post by Primal Drive » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:28 am

RobotHeroes wrote:
It's like watching a car wreck.
More like a toddler tipping over his tricycle.

IMHO, aside from showing (and unfortunately misusing) some great synths Gearwire videos have no redeeming value.
And then she said, "What the f...?"

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:07 am

I'm more interested in why nobody else DOES bother.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:15 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Eggfuggingzactly

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:28 am

Nobody does it right because it's impossible to do it right.

1) If you don't dress the part and look like a walking-cliche from the genre you're interested in, you look like a poser or basically an outsider. If you look right, but don't use the current slang...you're uncool and faking it.

2) You have to be first with the video so having months with said gear is impossible. Your video review would be based on first impressions and the general aspects- which is already available as a product demo anyway. So what would you be adding?

3) Your personal opinion- which will always be in conflict with someone who loves/hates that bit of gear. Someones workaround is someone elses reason not to buy and rant for days about the stupid company, bad marketing and horrid design. Ya Ya ya...while it's another persons dream product that fits them perfectly.

4) A Master will Arrive. After your video has aged, a douche who owns that piece and really learned it inside and out will comment on everything you missed in the 1 week you had it and take you to task over small bugs, weird aspects and quirks. "How did you not see the bug when loading Patch 149 and and changing the waveform while switching to unison?"

Even if you manage to get that all right, a bunch of kids from another forum/genre will goof because you make XYZ music and they make ABC music. You'll still be too old, too young and even your appearance will come into play. And no offense- but I don't think many of us would pass as a models for a romance novel.

And at the end you'd still a wicked piece of music that EVERYBODY agrees is awesome.
That's why Jordan Rudess is demoing everything.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by tekkentool » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:13 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
one three letter acronym, CBF

analogholic

Post by analogholic » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:37 pm

Cheezus what idiots !!!

This actually hurts :?

To be able to massacre a piece of art like this...well that really takes some "talent"

Especially hilarious is when they manage to make it sound xtra crappy...they go: "wow that´s sweet"

The bearded guy seems the only one knowing what he is doing...feel a little bit sorry for him

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:58 pm

I think I saw a comment calling them the lisanova of synth reviews, which elicited a LOL.

Not sure about the rest of you, but to me there's 2 kinds of synth demos. Ones made by Jexus, and everything else.

Of course, the Jexus videos lead you to think a mere synth mortal such as yourself could make those sounds with that synth, but that's another topic... ;)

steveman

Post by steveman » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:27 am

Thanks for reminding me how awful GearWire are. Every time I think I'm c**p at synthesis I just need to wtch that...

skweeegor

Post by skweeegor » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:49 am

Best part is when they're tweaking the cutoff: "This is the popular knob." :lol:

EmptySet
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: MS20, x0xb0x, JV-1080, JX-3P, JX-8P(PG800), Juno Stage, VFX-SD, VL-1, ARP Omni I, D-50, DW6000

Post by EmptySet » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:11 am

The maroon t-shirt on the one guy looks like it says "Muddy Waters in St. Louis". Are these guys in St. Louis, MO? If so, that's very close to where I live. Maybe I can have a talk with them and set them straight. :D

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:23 am

Heh, that video actually made me want to get a Voyager back in the day. The other videos that were available back then were lousier than that. The Gearwire -one at least had decent sound quality.

It's just guys goofing around, so I'm not sure if it's supposed to be a "synth demo". That "Crosstalk" thing they do isn't about that, it's supposed to be just some sort of... entertainment. Some of their real demo pieces on guitar pedals and such have been pretty damn bad. It takes ages for them to get any sound out of the units.

There are even parodies of them:
[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by nvbrkr on Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.