Are the old Electribes getting more expensive/respected?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
jeeroj
Gear: sh-101, x0xb0x(x2), tr-606, korg es-1, half dead mc-303 and some boss micro racks

Are the old Electribes getting more expensive/respected?

Post by jeeroj » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:22 am

I've always thought that the Korg Electribes are awesome value for money. They seemed to sell in the UK for around the £100 mark, which I think is silly cheap, especially when you see mc-303's, rm1x's, yamaha DX and AN grooveboxes going for a lot more quite commonly.

but...
recently I've seen the Electribes rise up in price by about 50%. Are people more aware of what they are selling? And are the buyers also more aware of what they are buying?
I'm glad that these machines are picking up their value and enjoying a little renaissance, but it is a bit frustrating as i was thinking of getting another one!

Anyone else noticed this going on?
Debut Album out now jeeroj - Selected Acid Works 08-11
check the review HERE first

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Re: Are the old Electribes getting more expensive/respected?

Post by tekkentool » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:28 am

yep, they used to be about 200 here in Aus, but recently they've gone up to about 300. mostly because of one prick reseller who everybody get's idea's off.

polardark

Post by polardark » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:59 am

The ER-1 is totally worth it. Pity i sold mine for peanuts.

jeeroj
Gear: sh-101, x0xb0x(x2), tr-606, korg es-1, half dead mc-303 and some boss micro racks

Post by jeeroj » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:24 pm

interesting, i was once told that the ER-1 is a pita to program. which i found a little odd....

CapnMarvel

Post by CapnMarvel » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:41 pm

Hmm...I know this question was about the older Electribes, but I got an EMX-1 recently off Sleazebay for what I thought was a great price - $250. It's super easy to program, one of the few drum machines I knew how to generally get what I wanted out of after an hour or so (I still struggle with my DR-880). I'm not super in love with the on-board samples, but I'll keep digging to see what other cool stuff I can get it to do. I generally have to dig extra deep to get more recent Korg gear to really impress me.

I was somewhat underwhelmed by the ES-1 I had a little while back. I should probably try again with an Electribe sampler and some of my own drum samples and armed with some new knowledge about what the h**l I'm trying to do.
Gear List: A bunch that go 'WHHONNGG!', several that go 'tweedle tweedle' and 'thumpity', and a few that don't make any noise at all but have lots of delightful little lights on them.

Yatmandu
Gear: reverse

Post by Yatmandu » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:50 pm

I guess prices go up and down with the old tribes. I managed to snag an ER-1 for $90 CDN last fall, so they can still be had for peanuts.

mung
Gear: Nord Electro, Yamaha DX 7, Alesis Ion, Crumar Orchestrator, Roland Juno-G, Korg R3, Casiotone 7000, Edirol PCR-M80, Boss RE20, Boss RT20, Boss GT-8

Post by mung » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:58 pm

You're probably right- I bought an Electribe sMKII about a year and a half ago for $100. I just sold it saturday night on Craigslist for $180.

Although I am about to buy an EA-1 for only $60 :D

TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Post by TrondC » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:42 pm

jeeroj wrote:interesting, i was once told that the ER-1 is a pita to program. which i found a little odd....
uhm, I really can't think of a simpler drum machine than the ER-1. programming is the quickest I've ever seen. soundwise not so good, but depending on what kind of music you want to make, it can be pretty cool. Everyone who wants to make minimal on a budget needs one or two, not for the main kick/snare/hat groove, but for everything else

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by clubbedtodeath » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:48 pm

I would've kept my ER-1, if it had had better kick and snare. Very easy to program.

The EA-1 though, that was sweet. If ever there was a VA that should've been made analogue, that was it. Loved that thing, but it had to give way to a Fender Rhodes Stage 73 Mk I. :D

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:31 pm

I put on a post on FP seven years ago, saying that these toys will duplicate its price in 10 years... :mrgreen:

http://www.futureproducers.com/forums/s ... 516&page=2

In some moment I had all the models, I like Electribe's sound a lot. They are particular because you sacrifice a lot of technical functions in order to obtain simplicity and inmediacy.

EA-1, ER-1 and ES-1, are almost identical if you have a glance on them. But each one of them have a disctintive sound. The delay effect on the the ER-1 is GREAT! combining it with pitch twealking, you can go to the heaven of blips with three knobs tweaking.

The ER-1 costed me $160 7 years ago.

Now I have only an ESX-1. The Er-1 was stolen :( .

After the years, producers start to notice that they are robust and long lasting. The gummy buttons of the minikeyboard, are solid and easy to trigger. EA-1 falled to the floor during an eartquake a few years ago, and nothing happened.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

jeeroj

Post by jeeroj » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:21 pm

I love my es-1, i use it a lot to run my x0xb0x through so i can add live effects. Yeah, the delay on that thing is grrrreat! :D

I didn't get on so well with the ea-1, i just found it a bit odd entering notes etc. But to be honest, that was blatantly me just not bothering to really get to grips with it, not the fault of the machine.

Maybe it was the prices i paid for the EA-1's i've owned that meant i gave them less respect/attention?

Em Pe Ge
Gear: Akai MPC1000, Moog Slim Phatty, Roland Alpha Juno 1, Animoog (via iRig midi), Ableton Live, Reason.

Post by Em Pe Ge » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:34 pm

i recently picked up a near mint condition ER-mk2 for $100. hated it at first.... after spending more time with it i'm digging it much more. some of the sounds are still too thin sounding for me though. i may look into getting a novation drumstation then using the er1 as a controller.

i'm also looking into getting an electribe A mk2... it's a debate between that and the novation bass station.

Mr Knesh
Gear: DP/4+ because in order to dive in deep, you have to DP.

Post by Mr Knesh » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:36 pm

I thought the er-1 kick was amazing. The snare, I have to agree, was weak. I always wanted more crunch and body out of the snare. It does have a real hiphop snare sound to it. Almost like a clap.

polardark

Post by polardark » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:48 pm

What I loved about the ER-1 was that the FM sound engine made percussion sounds that you're not able to do with ordinary drum synths. For a while I used my novation drum station and er-1 in parallel to get the best of both worlds...

These days I just stick with VSTi software and samples for drums though. Audiorealism Drum Machine and Sonic Charge microTonic cover the sounds of the drum station and er-1 respectively and the sound quality is better. :(

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:01 pm

Used prices have risen because there are no more new ones available.

When you could still buy the mkII Tribes new for $200 it was hard to sell a used one for much over $100.

Now that they've been out of production for a few years, the supply is limited so used prices are rising.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.