Are the old Electribes getting more expensive/respected?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: Are the old Electribes getting more expensive/respected?

Post by griffin avid » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:07 pm

It was just too limited after a while. I mean you can't mix and match sounds across the entire soundbank?
Why? It's like buying a keyboard and only being able to use Combis or splits. Nuts. Totally frustrating. The sample import of the ES-1 was so complicated with all these rules and format limitations....naming conventions etc.

Each piece was strong in its area but WEAK in all others.
You needed all 4 for anything close to workable.
ER-1 Kicks and that's about it
ES-1 Snares and samples
EA-1 Blips and Bloops
EM-1 Brains great sounds- no tweaks

...and...and there's an orange (es MKII?)one that escapes me at the moment.

Someone should modify or circuit bend these into ONE MONSTROUS drum machine with 64 steps.
Aw man, now I'm about to lose a whole day MIDI-ing these up again.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:43 pm

The prices on all lower priced gear has gone up. Resellers are buying up all the good deals and relisting at huge mark ups. Plus, Ebays fees are so high sellers need to raise their price way up just to make a buck.
Last edited by supermel74 on Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

dinotread

Post by dinotread » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:18 am

My emx developed knob jitter (last night, no less), and the power cable randomly falls out of my EA-1. The nicely functioning ES-1 i've had for 7 years is the only thing keeping me from thinking that electribes are total c**p.

guitarsandsynths
Band: Brazility

Post by guitarsandsynths » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:12 am

I had 3 electribes. Paid $50 each. Sold all 3 together for $300. Recently.
Minimoog ModelD Prophet5 Roland Jupiter8 SH7 GR9 CSQ100 TR606 TR707 TR727 Oberheim OB8 ARP2600 KorgVC10 Rhodes73 Wurlitzer 200A ClavinetII DOTCOM PearlDRX1 TamaTS202 Simmons SDS9

PolarAC
Gear: ASR-10, ESQ-1, Juno 6, MPC 2000, Concertmate MG-1, Fender Rhodes 88, Wavestation A/D, Mutable labs Shruthi-1, Bastl MicroGranny, Volca FM

Post by PolarAC » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:14 am

I always had love for the ER-1. I may not sound the best by itself, but when I use it to compliment the drums that I program on the MPC, Watch out Now!

I12

Post by I12 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:35 am

Theres some tricks to getting great kicks and snare out of the er, but that will only increase the price...lol

I need to get one again,

the claim that the emx synth engine can do it is sorta true but sorta not.

Owned er1 (bought new), ea1, es1, emx.
Dont bother its not worth it!

Yodhan
Gear: DSI Mopho Keyboard, Korg Monotron, Microkorg, Arturia Experience Player, Reason 5
Band: Prototype Messiah

Post by Yodhan » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:54 am

As someone who has just been getting into the hardware synth thing after years of playing guitar and bass and dabbling in Reason, as well as just having bought both an EA1 and ER1, it is interesting to read all this. I am quite enjoying the ER1. I am not using either for live use (at least not right now). I like the tweakability of the sounds on the ER-1. The EA-1 is...interesting. I don't use it a whole lot, but I frequently write some type of riff (I sequence in Ableton Live and MIDI to the EA-1) and tweak the knobs, looking for something cool. Sometimes I find it, sometimes I don't.

All in all, I like them. I know that the EA-1 isn't going to stand up to my MS2000R, and the ER-1 isn't going to compete with an 808, but they are what I've got and I like them. Some days I prefer having a less than stellar setup because it makes me work with what I have.

Just my 2 cents.

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by clubbedtodeath » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:28 pm

Yodhan wrote:I know that the EA-1 isn't going to stand up to my MS2000R
Sure, but then you're not even aiming for the same thing when you go for an EA-1 instead of an MS2000. After reading this thread, I tried hard to think about what precisely I liked about the EA-1. It's got to be the filter and the brute-force distortion. It sometimes has an near-analogue feel to it - perhaps because of the 33Khz sampling rate? - if you (ha) don't push the frequencies too high. Someone at Korg knew exactly what they were doing.

But you're right, it is interesting; weird. I first started using in for growling basses, but when I started sequencing it through external MIDI, added a bit of light chorus and reverb, it became a rather excellent lead machine.

Dammit, I miss mine.

:(

Mr Knesh
Gear: DP/4+ because in order to dive in deep, you have to DP.

Post by Mr Knesh » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:08 am

I12 wrote:Theres some tricks to getting great kicks and snare out of the er, but that will only increase the price...lol

I need to get one again,

the claim that the emx synth engine can do it is sorta true but sorta not.

Owned er1 (bought new), ea1, es1, emx.
I have an er-1 I am selling at the moment. It is in pretty good shape.
PM me if you are serious.

I12

Post by I12 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:38 am

/\/\ Thanks I'll keep it in mind
Dont bother its not worth it!

computron
Band: Computron

Post by computron » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:49 am

I do not feel the orginal three tribes have gone up much.they are cheaper second hand then they were new,The Er1 Ea-1 Es-1 all can be hand all under a 100.00 mkll versions of the ea and er as well.I find the Em-1 has a stronger resale valule today then the other older tribes.Almost like the forgoten tribe.the pre emx.I use the four tribes at the momment together most of the time, er-1. err 1mkll,e-m and a emx.I think all the tibes are great to add to any electronic styled music.I also say I think none of the synthparts in the tribes compare to the ms2000 as a str8 sythn.But they work excellent together I use a combo of the emx a er-1 and the ms2000 often to chain up patterns on the rm1x or my two mpc1000's.Great fun.The tribes will go good with any gear in my book.from the old analog to the more modern in making any electroinc styled music they are 100% usefull
Living the Electro Life

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:40 pm

computron wrote:I do not feel the orginal three tribes have gone up much.they are cheaper second hand then they were new,The Er1 Ea-1 Es-1 all can be hand all under a 100.00 mkll versions of the ea and er as well.
They usually go for between $150-$200 now. The days of $100 electribes are pretty much over.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:14 pm

the genoqs octopus and the emx-1 is a dream combination. you can build patterns incredibly quickly and with the octopus you don't have to fuss with the EMX-1's awkward mute/solo mechanism. for drum sounds the emx-1 is really quite spectacular (which is interesting because i didn't like them at first...) and its so easy to tweak and assign FX. also, the genoqs gives you more control over swing which is a minor shortcoming of the EMX-1 (Swing is either on or off for each track).

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:01 am

The ER-1 is the one I kept, but the EA-1 sounded nice even if limited. I remember I programmed a squelching pig sequence out of the EA-1 that blew my socks off.

These boxes are extremely accessible and easy to use. The ER-1 I wouldn't use for standard drums but is great at adding spice to your other drums.
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:01 am

The ER-1 is the one I kept, but the EA-1 sounded nice even if limited. I remember I programmed a squelching pig sequence out of the EA-1 that blew my socks off.

These boxes are extremely accessible and easy to use. The ER-1 I wouldn't use for standard drums but is great at adding spice to your other drums.
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse