Korg M3: most beautiful synth in the world?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Korg M3: most beautiful synth in the world?

Postby Hugo76 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:45 am

I recently picked up a Korg M3, and in addition to being a fantastic synth, I must say this is the coolest, most elegant & downright beatiful synth I've ever seen/played :D This is much due to the tiltable module I think, plus of course the excellent choice of colors. Getting a boner here just thinking about it... ;)
Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Korg M3: most beautiful synth in the world?

Postby stikygum » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:29 pm

Well, I don't know about that wink at the end, but yeah, I do agree that it is definitely elegant and I also think it's modernly spaceage. I love the look of it and don't understand people who've said they want it in black. Everything in the 80s was black. That got extremely tiresome to look at. I'm glad Korg went this route because it looks way better than any rompler out there. Plus the keybed on that thing is fantastic.
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse
stikygum

Postby boxed » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:49 pm

The Radias is the same colour.
boxed

Postby Hugo76 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:03 pm

stikygum wrote:Well, I don't know about that wink at the end, but yeah, I do agree that it is definitely elegant and I also think it's modernly spaceage. I love the look of it and don't understand people who've said they want it in black. Everything in the 80s was black. That got extremely tiresome to look at. I'm glad Korg went this route because it looks way better than any rompler out there. Plus the keybed on that thing is fantastic.

Yeah, definately! The keybed is GREAT. My V-Synth is also excellent. I used to have a Motif ES, but that didn't work for me at all. Your phrase 'modernly spaceage' is very descriptive, I feel like I'm controlling a spaceship when opeating the M3 :D
Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby VCOrhubarb » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:26 pm

I'm sure M3 is a great synth but I'm not crazy about its looks. Talking about current workstations, I like the design of the Roland Fantom G series best.
VCOrhubarb

Postby StepLogik » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:56 pm

VCOrhubarb wrote:I'm sure M3 is a great synth but I'm not crazy about its looks. Talking about current workstations, I like the design of the Roland Fantom G series best.

The FG panel layout is very good indeed - as well as most of the UI. Of course, I'd be derelict in my duties if I also didn't mention the FG is also buggy as h**l and that the sliders rattle and keyboard make a lot of noise as well.

I appreciate Korg's efforts to break the current synth design trends but I think the panel of the m3 is a bit dry. All of those buttons are identical which would seem to make operating the instrument slightly confusing. The do seem to be grouped well which certainly helps. I've only used it in passing so this is just speculation on my part. I prefer a colorful panel with distinct sections :)
Last edited by StepLogik on Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Postby aphlux » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:29 pm

I qwas actually looking at getting an M3, especially because i'd like to pair it with my radias for live setup.
From personally playing it, and this thread, I might just consider it >.> :3
aphlux
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Gear: Korg Radias/Access Virus C/
Moog Little Phatty/Korg TR Rack (combi)/Roland JP-8080/MS2000R/M3/Juno-106/MD SPS-1 UW MK2
Band: Hobbyist

Postby vin14 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:12 pm

I have to disagree, I think it's one of the ugliest synths ever
vin14

Gear: ∂Juno1 / BassStation Rack / CS-5 / D-50 / DX7 / Juno-106 / M1 / Minibrute / SK20 / SY85 / Trident / Voyager OS / Minimonsta / ImpOSCar
Band: oddball

Postby aphlux » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:36 pm

Why do you say that Vin?
aphlux
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Moog Little Phatty/Korg TR Rack (combi)/Roland JP-8080/MS2000R/M3/Juno-106/MD SPS-1 UW MK2

Postby Hugo76 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:50 pm

Another huuuuge plus is the (already mentioned) option to put the module in an upright position. I've always found it annoying having to lean over the synth when operating it, the M3 totally solves this problem. Now I can sit back with a nice cushion in my back and flip back and forth on the screen - it's simply fantastic. If you do have back problems, get the M3 :)
Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby Phollop Willing PA » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:53 pm

Nah

For me, the Arp 2600 is the more beautiful by far...

But I'm glad you're in love and that's all that counts really.
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18
Phollop Willing PA

Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Postby stikygum » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:12 am

StepLogik wrote:
VCOrhubarb wrote:I appreciate Korg's efforts to break the current synth design trends but I think the panel of the m3 is a bit dry. All of those buttons are identical which would seem to make operating the instrument slightly confusing. The do seem to be grouped well which certainly helps. I've only used it in passing so this is just speculation on my part. I prefer a colorful panel with distinct sections :)

I like color also, so more color can always be good to accentuate, but I also don't like a black abyss. Black boards are almost saying 'don't look at me, I'm trying to hide or fit in so no one will notice me'. Guitars are and have been just the opposite and strive to stand out and distinguish themselves from one another.

If the M3 had more labels/graphics, that would've been fine, though it would look more busy and think now it looks a little more cohesive and cleaner the way it is. If I didn't like it, I don't even have any specific advice to improve the front panel as far as graphics, knowing it is subjective, to make it easier to operate from the front panel. I'd be interested to hear suggestions. I think the buttons are grouped pretty logical and the sliders are where they should be. I think the main thing is just getting to know the 5 buttons on the left that switch between 5 pages and what the sliders will control.

They do make skins that you can customize and put on the Korg, which I think is really cool.
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse
stikygum

Postby computron » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:27 am

I dont like the looks of the M3 either but I do like its sounds.What a synth looks like means nothing to what it sounds like or does but If we are talking looks thenI will join in.my favs the Roalnd JD 800.Looks sexy as h**l. Looks like a stealth bomber.I hear good things about its sounds.I want one NOW! another for just looks would be that hartman neuron.Then you have the great Buchla what a looker!But the best of all the infamous Con Brio ADS 200 :o Steals the show for looks !
Living the Electro Life
computron

Band: Computron

Postby stikygum » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:37 am

That Con Brio is a total mad scientist type of board :mrgreen: The Waldorf Wave ( an most all Waldorf gear ) is a looker. But my prize for the best would go to the Alesis Andromeda. That's what a synth should be imo.

Actually, I think it might be a common denomiator, if you like the looks of older black synths, you probably won't like the M3 look. Seems most people I've heard even on other boards don't like because of liking black boards better. I rather have white or silver personally, unless it's a sleak jet black (not platic black), then I'm down. For some reason I think older black boards try to look elegantly sharp and black, but they are still freakin plastic and you can tell. It's like a cheap imitation. The M3 doesn't try to look like anything other than plastic, which is why I like it.
stikygum

Postby aphlux » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:46 am

I'm starting to like it more and more, synth from what boards are saying, its more based around electro/ambient stuff, as the Motif is for Pop/Jazz and the Fantom G (from what I hear it buggy)

Then again though, i've always trusted korgs products 100%, and their customer service is amazing.

Plus, I think the M3 will look sexy with the Radias-R mounted into it.

I'd like to personally test these keyboards out first.
Preferably, im going with the 88key version.
And then with the Radias right in it, live stuff will be "better" IMO.
aphlux
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Next

Return to General Synthesizers