Prophet VS??

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50, JV-1080
Band: ArtWithHeart

Re: Prophet VS??

Post by iProg » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:33 am

balma wrote:very expensive:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sequential-Prophet- ... 2305d7e3aa

mine costed no more than $1200. How much did you pay for yours?
12500 SEK, about $1500. 100% working incl. private shipping to my studio w/ original joystick!

iphoenix

Post by iphoenix » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:37 am

I Paid £1000 for mine in 2000, flew to the UK to collect it. bought it a ticead ( a seat) for the return flight, as I didnt want it going in the luggage hold.
Was bliss, my favourite synth ever for 7 years, then it started to malfunction & stopped working altogether a couple of years ago. People have said that it has a poor build quality. The frame / case tends to warp & it benefits from being on a table or bench rather than a keyboard stand, or at least a piece of wood under the synth if on a stand.
They always seem to have funny slightly irregular keys, & gaps between every few keys, which doesnt affect the playing action, but looks a bit odd.
Mine didnt look as good as Retrosounds' one , thats a pristine example. Mine is badly smoke stained , the keys & legending which makes it look tatty. There was also a strange mod done to mine, pointless really, the data entry slider was replaced with a pot/ knob. The former owner preferred that.
My joystick got snapped in half as well ..ouch
The Prophet VS is all over David Sylvian's album 'Gone To Earth'. Apperently it is also a favourite 'Nine Inch Nails' synth.
Ive heard a lot of reports of them breaking down. I hope I get mine back soon. Im curious about the Polyevolver ( ie I want one) & wonder does its Prophet VS waves actually sound like the actual P VS, as in its warmth & punch. This topic has been covered here before a few years back.

Synthacon
Gear: Hard and Soft Synths

Post by Synthacon » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:21 pm

I bought one a good few years ago, was told it just needed a quick service but it was a mess.

Interesting sounds, but not as amazing as I thought it was going to be, certainly most of my other synths at the time I enjoyed far more.

As for the sounds I rather enjoyed a couple of pads but overall I was very disappointed with it, it is one of those cult synths that people do seek out as there are not lots about, but generally it left me very underwhelmed.
You always want just one more Synth!

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:38 pm

Well, I can say the pads were simple perfect. The selection of waves, combined with the excellent analog filters, resulted on perfect swept pads. I recognize its sound on several movies. And long sounds, can take so many different variants with the right programation of the vector controller. Maybe the synth was not made for your purposes THe VS requires you to practice a lot with the vectors in order to have amazing effects morphing the sounds.

Mine didn't show any problem during 2-3 years. First time, I was playing and it shutted down. I thought it was a power supply related issue, but nothing. The synth worked fine for a couple of weeks, then most of the times when I power it up, all the lights turned on, but no sound, and then it DIED.

The synth just died. Checked inside for something loose, or burned. Nothing. It was the last synth from Sequential Circuits, it seems they were running out of good parts.... this synth is fragile.

Reading this post, and I'm amazed how much people had the same sad ending with the Prophet VS.....
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma