MFB Nanozwerg, Urzwerg, Microzwerg & Megazwerg

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Dogboy73

Re: MFB Nanozwerg, Urzwerg, Microzwerg & Megazwerg

Post by Dogboy73 » Mon May 10, 2010 6:16 pm

synthlab wrote:i think it almost crossed analogue with 8bit sid sounds
Funny you should say that because the 6581 SID chip is actually a digital/analogue hybrid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6581

"The SID is a mixed-signal integrated circuit, featuring both digital and analog circuitry. All control ports are digital, while the output ports are analog."

projectwoofer
Band: Woofer

Post by projectwoofer » Mon May 10, 2010 8:25 pm

Dogboy73 wrote:
synthlab wrote:i think it almost crossed analogue with 8bit sid sounds
Funny you should say that because the 6581 SID chip is actually a digital/analogue hybrid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6581

"The SID is a mixed-signal integrated circuit, featuring both digital and analog circuitry. All control ports are digital, while the output ports are analog."
If my memory serves me correctly, the SID chip uses digital waveforms (wavetables?) with a 12db/oct analog multi-mode filter...combined with a proper cartridge it's a very interesting hybrid synth!
http://www.myspace.com/woofergr
http://www.jumpingfish.gr/Woofer

Casio VZ-10M, Commodore 64 & MSSIAH, Dave Smith Tetra, Kawai K5000R, Korg X5, Roland D-550, Roland JD-990 (w/Vintage Synth card), Waldorf Miniworks 4pole, Yamaha TX7

Dogboy73

Post by Dogboy73 » Tue May 18, 2010 6:50 pm

Still no more news on the Microzwerg yet. I'm hoping we're at least going to see a pic of it soon.

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Tue May 18, 2010 11:52 pm

Please release it now, while the Euro's still in the crapper! :beg:
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

Dogboy73

Post by Dogboy73 » Wed May 19, 2010 12:02 am

pricklyrobot wrote:Please release it now, while the Euro's still in the crapper! :beg:
:D That would be handy ;)

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:02 pm

The Nanozwerg manual is now online here.

Typical for MFB it has some hidden features:

--- accent mode using MIDI velocity to get some 303-ish noises
--- the sub-osc mix setting gives you not only the 1/2 and 1/4 subs together but also a 5/8 (a fifth below??)
--- four preset sequences, the really interesting one is #4 which disables the VCA EG for drones and filtering external audio
--- the audio in mixes with the VCO, set the sub to off and osc mix 100% sub to disable the VCO in the audio path but still use it for filter FM
--- the contour knob allows bidirectional filter modulation (a first for an MFB synth)
--- via MIDI pitch bend is +/-2 semitones and mod wheel maps to filter cutoff
--- VCA can be modulated three ways: follow the EG, gate or by external CV
--- LFO in allows modulating the base rate (10 seconds to 100Hz) well into the audio region; patch a pitch CV here and LFO out to audio in to get a second VCO (use rate knob to tune)

This should be a nice expansion to my Kraftzwerg (which has no multimode filter) plus it's an extra analog mono by itself.

At current Euro/dollar rates it'll certainly be less than $300, maybe under $250. Should be quite popular at that price!!!
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:10 am

meatballfulton wrote:This should be a nice expansion to my Kraftzwerg (which has no multimode filter)
Anyone know if this is the existing MFB LPF plus a few modes, or an entirely redesigned filter? Been thinking about picking up a Microzwerg, and wondering to what degree it might make my FilterBox redundant.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:29 am

MFB calls the Nanozwerg filter a 2 pole multimode, that's way different than the 4-pole ladder in most MFB synths. Looks like the Megazwerg will use this filter, too.

The Microzwerg will have two of these filters, you can cascade them to get 4 poles (default) or run them in parallel (patching required).

--- Urzwerg is shipping in Europe and Shawn at Analogue Haven has the first ones in the USA, watch his site for a price this week =D>
--- Nanozwerg is shipping now in Europe, none in USA yet.
--- Megazwerg is not shipping yet.
--- Microzwerg is still vaporware :(
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

polardark

Post by polardark » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:23 pm

I've mostly decided that I'm getting the nanozwerg. Usually when making my own patches i prefer the "smoother" sound of a 12dB filter anyhow. If only my favorite music dealer had it in stock already... :(

It's just a pity that it doesn't have "fingered glide". Glide without that is pretty useless to me.

Dogboy73

Post by Dogboy73 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:28 pm

meatballfulton wrote:Microzwerg is still vaporware :(
I emailed MFB a couple of weeks back asking about the Microzwerg. I got a reply saying it should be out in August. We'll see :roll: EDIT: just checked the MFB website & that also has mid August for the Microzwerg.

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:29 pm

Analogue Haven has Urzwerg priced at $475 and it's in stock.

Dogboy73

Post by Dogboy73 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:41 pm

Dubersive

Post by Dubersive » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:53 pm

griffin avid wrote:They even made it yellow, just to make sure everyone is clear that they are saying "Take THAT Mopho!"

Except the MoPho will be in stores and reviewed by all the usual hounds and the MFB products will only be referenced, here, Matrixsynth and AnalogueHaven. And any Google search will feature complaints about the build quality. I didn't see any real push behind the Dark Energy either.

Strangely enough, even it's users don't seem to have much to say.
I figured that Doepfer crossing over would be really big news, but I guess not.
Imagine walking into a music store and seeing a Dark Energy behind the glass.

There's a lot cool synths hitting the affordable floor.
When's the next big poly coming?

Now if only we could get a high end analogue drum machines/workstation.
My next drum machine:
Vermona DRM 1 MKIII

I'll probably pick up the Dark Energy and one of the MFBs at some point too. I wish these babies would get more attention!
[ Cwejman S1 MK2 / Korg MS-20 / SQ-10 | TR-606 | Eurorack stuff ]

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:40 pm

Microzwerg picture is finally up along with a price of 380 EU.

atticus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by atticus » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:01 pm

I love the low rent look of MFB's stuff. That shade of blue on the MIcrozwerg is fantastic, so un-synth-like.

I wonder if you can patch anything to anything without damaging the Zwergs. I know many combinations would simply not affect the sound, but it would be very nice to not have to worry about damaging the machines by patching something. That's one of the biggest advantages of Synthesizers.com stuff I think (that as long as you're only using .com modules you can't damage them by patching incorrectly).
Bugbrand Modular, MFB Synth II, Roland Juno 1, Roland JD-990, Novation Supernova, Jomox Airbase, Roland SH-09, Roland HS-60, Mac & Logic