Yamaha CS-5 Rules!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Yamaha CS-5 Rules!

Post by monolith » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:33 am

I got a CS-5 in the mail this morning, which I bought thinking there was a problem with the VCA. I got it cheap for this reason ($150AU)
I cleaned it up (it was very dusty, and had some mouse s**t on it!) and plugged it in and it works fine! All keys trigger, no scratchy pots- perfect! It cleaned up really well too!
I think the previous owner didnt know about the initial level knob. :shock:

Anyway, on top of being a total bargain, what an amazing synth! So many sounds to be had for such a simple layout. This is also the first synth i've used with a BP filter and what a great sound it is, especially for leads. (Maybe that's because guitar is my main instrument and i'm partial to the wah pedal)

It's a much different sound to the Rolands I have, I cant describe it - the best I can say is the Yamaha sounds more 'Prog' while the Rolands sound more 'electro' :facepalm:

Is it hard to open it up to clean inside? I have a feeling it won't be pretty - Upon closer inspection the keyboard smells like mouse pee. :x

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Re: Yamaha CS-5 Rules!

Post by nathanscribe » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:49 am

Congrats on the deal. The CS-5 is simple to open up and you can clean under the keys pretty easily. There was a fashion for dissing the CS monos for sounding "thin" and for not being a Moog, basically. In my book that's a reason to have at least one of each. 8-)

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:46 pm

Wow, well done on that deal, a great price and a good synth for sure.

Have fun with it, simple and a good stable little analog :D

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:56 pm

Hybrid88 wrote:Wow, well done on that deal, a great price and a good synth for sure.

Have fun with it, simple and a good stable little analog :D
hehe cheers man! I'm pleasantly surprised at how much i'm enjoying it. I thought the the fact that the filter doesn't resonate might be a bit of a drag, but i'm actually digging it - At full resonance it is at that perfect harmonic 'sweet spot', great for slow sweeps. :mrgreen:

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:20 pm

It's easy to open it up to remove dust, but getting at the pots is a problem because you have to remove every single front panel nut. Best left to a tech, who will also know the right cleaning and lubrication to use on the pot. Google will turn up the service manual as a pdf.

It's well worth putting the filter CV modification in, and using a Kenton Pro Solo. You get velocity control of filter and an extra LFO for pitch mod. Then you can use the lovely fast LFO on the Yamaha for FM sounds.
monolith wrote:I thought the the fact that the filter doesn't resonate might be a bit of a drag, but i'm actually digging it
Of course you meant to say "doesn't self oscillate" :)

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:33 pm

madtheory wrote:
monolith wrote:I thought the the fact that the filter doesn't resonate might be a bit of a drag, but i'm actually digging it
Of course you meant to say "doesn't self oscillate" :)
:lol: yeah I could've sworn I typed self oscillate. haha.
whiskey and typing dont mix :oops:

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:59 pm

monolith wrote: whiskey and typing dont mix :oops:
LOL! Neither does wine and typing. Learned from experience! :)

blanik

Post by blanik » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:42 pm

madtheory wrote: ...Google will turn up the service manual as a pdf.
no it won't, i've been looking for months, i had to buy it... ;)

it's true though that the filter is awesome on those... it's got a kind of MS vibe to it... way better than my SHs filters....

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:38 pm

Someday everyone will realize how great the whole CS series is, like you have!
Amen to Nathanscribe's stance on the CSs being "not-Moog." Why so many want everything they have to sound Moogish is beyond me. Everyone should own at least one synth capable of nasal or icy sounds... and you can get some thunderously deep sounds with the high-pass with low cutoff point. Something from the CS series is indispensable!*

*While the CS01 is fun and novel, and many people like what it does, I can't include it in the statement I'm making
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

clueless

Post by clueless » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:16 am

I have a CS10, two CS15s and a CS30. Could never seem to get my hands on a CS5! Wanted one forever but seem to be pretty rare. At least here in Japan. I will always have my CS and MS collection...they are keepers.
Enjoy your CS5 dude!

megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Post by megamanx » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:06 am

I love my CS5 and I have been rediscovering it lately...

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:00 am

IMHO CS10 is better than a CS5 in every way, but mainly because it has a dedicated filter envelope, and it's a very cool one.

I don't think a Yamaha CS filter sounds anything like an MS20, although they do look similar...

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:17 am

I love the CS series filters, I have a CS-5, CS-10, CS-20 and a CS-80. Nothing else comes close to that sound, a real change from VCF's that drive into ringing, the CS filter is pure cream.
Synthesizer service tech since 1982.
Synth parts and service, Sydney Australia.

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:42 am

Steve Jones wrote:I love the CS series filters, I have a CS-5, CS-10, CS-20 and a CS-80. Nothing else comes close to that sound, a real change from VCF's that drive into ringing, the CS filter is pure cream.
Absolutely. I really don't get why CS's are sometimes touted as boring. I'm really floored, it sounds great all the time.

radek tymecki

Post by radek tymecki » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:09 pm

at the beginning I didn't like my CS30 synth. i was mad coz it was impossible for me to get rare Yamaha custom ic's. Now i love it. thanx to my friend i've managed to add few modifications. i also own cs40m but it's faulty ;) i'll try to fix it :D