musikmesse 2010 Frankfurt

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: musikmesse 2010 Frankfurt

Post by kuroichi » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:28 pm

Syn303 wrote:
I think the UW+ & MnM+ will have USB and CF storage, i once badgered Elektron a good few times about the shite amount of sample storage available to the UW MkII. Looks like i better sell my old UW MkII i have left for the + version when it appears. I might give the OT a miss after all. Just doesn't fit the bill with me, not even the specs. Although time will tell on this one.
I think this is a great idea from what Ive seen, but for me, more sampling time in the UW would be the preferable product for me, simply for drum machine purposes.

Although if the octatrack is anything like the sp404 as far as usability goes (I imagine it will be, as their UI design is excellent on their other products) it could turn out to be excellent...
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:47 pm

kuroichi wrote:I think this is a great idea from what Ive seen, but for me, more sampling time in the UW would be the preferable product for me, simply for drum machine purposes.
the +drive upgrades is already up on the elektron site, but looks like it has crashed. I can't access the link at all :?
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:49 pm

Stole this from Elektron users forum:

From Elektron.se before it went down:

"The +Drive expands the memory of Machinedrum and Monomachine. These already capable machines can now be boosted by a factor of 128.
The +Drive divides a machine in 128 Snapshots, which allows for thousands of patterns, sounds and songs to be stored internally and more or less instantly recalled. The +Drive also makes it possible for the Machinedrum SPS-1UW+ MKII to host over 6000 ROM samples. The Monomachine SFX-60+ MKII can be loaded with more than 8000 DigiPro user waveforms.

A Machinedrum Snapshot can contain up to 128 patterns, 64 kits, 32 songs and 8 globals. If the Machinedrum is a UW model, each Snapshot also contains a sample bank. A UW MKII sample bank consists of 48 ROM sample slots. A UW MKI sample bank consists of 32 ROM sample slots.

A Monomachine Snapshot can contain up to 128 patterns, 128 kits, 24 songs and 8 globals. In the case of the Monomachine MKII, a Snapshot also contains a Digibank consisting of 64 DigiPro user waveforms.

Either load a completely new Snapshot or a single Machinedrum sample bank/Monomachine Digibank. When loading a new Snapshot, all data will replaced by new content. Loading a new sample bank/Digibank means all other content of the current Snapshot stays intact. Load times for both options are just a few seconds.

The +Drive gives the enormous advantage of having thousands of patterns and kits available. Change Snapshots during a live performance for a completely new session. Load a fresh Machinedrum sample bank or Monomachine Digibank and experiment with new sounds in your currently active patterns and kits. A +Drive opens up a world of new possibilities.

All Machinedrum and Monomachine models are possible to upgrade with a +Drive. When you buy a +Drive, you will receive detailed instructions how to send in the unit for the upgrade. Shipping back to you after the upgrade has been carried out is included in the price.

If you have bought a new Machinedrum UW/Monomachine after Feb 1st, you are eligible for a 30% discount on the +Drive upgrade price. This offer is valid until August 1. Mail us for more info about how to obtain the discount."

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:02 pm

that actually looks pretty interesting. It looks like weird hybrid of an Electribe w/ a mini keyboard and the high-end sound engine they use on their workstations.

* Lightweight, compact, and equipped with 61 mini-keys, the microSTATION travels easily and fits effortlessly into any home, stage, or studio workspace.
* EDS-i (Enhanced Definition Synthesis-integrated) sound engine delivers high-quality sound in the tradition of KORG's flagship music workstations.
* Enjoy 512 user programs (480 preloaded) and 384 user combinations (256 preloaded) as well as GM2 compatible preset programs and drum kits.
* Designed for comfort and accuracy, our 61-key Natural Touch Mini Keyboard is highly expressive and supports serious playing.
* High-performance 16-track sequencer records up to 128 songs and 210,000 notes.
* Template songs, Loop Recording, Grid Sequencing, Dual Arpeggiators, and Auto Song Setup functions provide a serious boost to creative song production.
* USB Type-B connector offers a direct MIDI computer connection.
* SD/SDHC card slot for convenient data storage.
* Includes both stand-alone and plug-in microSTATION software for detailed sound editing on your computer; plug-in software is VST, AU, and RTAS compatible.

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:04 pm

6000 ROM samples, 128 snapshots, whoaaaa :o

Hmmm what is the +drive upgrade gonna cost though i wonder?
Time to get an email off to those folks at Elektron for that info.
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:06 pm

Syn303 wrote:6000 ROM samples, 128 snapshots, whoaaaa :o

Apparently €360...

Need to check that though

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:52 pm

Syn303 wrote:6000 ROM samples, 128 snapshots, whoaaaa :o

all this after having just bought a MD UW mkii! (though maybe I'd be eligible for the discount?)

But actually, I see no great benefit here-I think elektron's original idea of limiting samples and memory was commendable: 2.5Mb is a huge amount when you think that most samplers until the early 90s probably only had 512kb and yet people somehow made music with that! (I did, only my SBLive soundcard :lol: ). Scrolling through hundreds of nameless samples has no appeal to me at all (that's what computers are for). The only thing that could have sold this to me was USB (maybe the drive has that?) However I do see the issue with losing all your ROM samples every time you want to load new ones (is there a way around this?)
Do you even post on vse bro?

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:05 pm

MESSE10: Two New Korg Electribes
EMX-1 SD and ESX-1 SD offer artist-created patterns and SD card data storage
http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2010/03/ ... lectribes/

Damn, seems like the only thing they did was replace the SM drive with SD.
This is a pretty hasardous move I think, there should at least be more powerful engines under the hood.

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:08 pm

Regarding the Korg Monotron, I guess this is more of a test to see if it's worth for the company investing in a bigger version (like the Kaossilator & KoPro). Not a bad idea, though I highly doubt I'll find much use for this one. Hopefully they'll release a bigger version next year.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:28 pm

Mush wrote:Image
Instantaneous boner!!!

HARDWARE SAMPLER from Elektron.

I don't get what's "new" with the Korg Electribes. Those are the same electribes from 2003, but with SD? that's just a mini upgrade that does not improve the performance at all.

Electribes SX series still strong 7 years after their release. For a new Electribe, I would love polyphonic tracks and groove effects, not just one swing effect. And why not an analog filter also on the Electribes? ;)

But at least, Korg give us so many things to choose from, my respect to Korg for its efforts on the hardware market.

His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

Trom69

Post by Trom69 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:43 pm

Cracking softsynths for virtual circuit-bending

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:59 pm

balma wrote:I don't get what's "new" with the Korg Electribes.
Tried to buy a SM card lately?
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:10 pm

meatballfulton wrote:
balma wrote:I don't get what's "new" with the Korg Electribes.
Tried to buy a SM card lately?
A Smartmedia USB reader for $8.95 on Amazon with a 64mb SM is cool, I read about it long time ago on a tallow's post on Stickies, that changed my life :) Anyway, biggest size of a Electribe ESX file is around 28mb, for a EMX is even smaller.

If I could take the decision to upgrade something on it without changing anything on the engine, it would be a optical input for sampling, or dual 1/4 inputs instead the stereo one.

Seems that Korg Electribes SX series still strong 7 years after they were released.... but definiltely I would LOVE a new addition

Somebody give a Keytar to that guy......
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:25 pm

Did they fix that god awful knob jitter issue?
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Gianni

Post by Gianni » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:29 pm

Motion sensor WTF?!