musikmesse 2010 Frankfurt

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Gianni

Re: musikmesse 2010 Frankfurt

Post by Gianni » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:00 am

Mini-Formant Challenger.

Mini-Formant Black Moon

diezdiazgiant
Gear: a computer and some odd bits of junk and microphones
Band: jizzflap f**k

Post by diezdiazgiant » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:17 am

I don't mean disrespect in this statement but the elektron boxes to me either always sounded like overkill (the MD) or I just didn't like the tones (MM)...
That being said... that new elektron box really excites me. I've seen some demos of the uw resample function being put to good use but at 2.5mb ram and its main focus being drum sequencing it really seemed pointless for my purposes. A phrase sampler made SPECIFICALLY for the purpose of scrambling the f**k out phrases really just makes me feel all tingly...
Same goes for a memory format upgrade on an electribe SX. I don't know what it would mean for the MX but with the SX, with a single memory card on SD that is more than enough room for a single songs worth of remixes, phrase alternates, etc... so to be able to bump that to GBs it really opens the doors for fun live exploration. It would be nice to see "parts banks" to expand writing options before you gotta overdub but I am excited none the less
blunted daydreaming

TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Post by TrondC » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:24 pm

Syn303 wrote:Looks like people (elektron users) got what they wanted - a sampler.
Can expect to see this selling for 1K+
I'd go as far as agree with what elektron are saying about the octatrack when they say it completes a trilogyof gear that would be all you ever need to make awesome music. so far, this pretty much looks like exactly what I wanted from them. and release estimate to after summer is also perfect for me :)

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:23 pm

Gianni wrote:Image

Mini-Formant Challenger.
:shock:

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:24 pm

Gianni wrote:Image

Mini-Formant Challenger.

Mini-Formant Black Moon

wuuuuttt?! (any more info aside from just pics?)
Do you even post on vse bro?

Gianni

Post by Gianni » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:46 pm

Sorry, little mistake made by me, I copied "Mini-Format" as the brand because that's what I read somewhere else.
Apparently, the company's name is actually Helmtronic. :D

So this 4-VCO thing is called the Helmtronic Challenger.

----------------------

EDIT:
This is a copy/paste from GS:

1.) 4 VCOs (4th VCO can function as an LFO), waveforms include saw, tri, square and pulse with 2 or 3 duty cycles - can't remember which ones but I think it's 25% and 5%)
2.) 2 filters (VCF1: multimode 12dB highpass, 12 dB lowpass, 6dB notch, VCF2: 24dB transistor ladder)
3.) 2 analog ADSRs for the filters, each filter gets its own ADSR
4.) 2 analog ADSRs for VCA
5.) flexible routing with separate knobs: each VCO can be sent to either VCF1, VCF 2 or both
6.) modulation busses ala Voyager style.
7.) polyphony: 1 voice
8.) keyboard: 4 octaves
9.) controls: pitch and modulation wheels (wooden ones)
10.) construction: wooden, with flip-up panel ala Minimoog
11.) no patch memory, no LCD

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:59 pm

Gianni wrote: EDIT:

1.) 4 VCOs (4th VCO can function as an LFO), waveforms include saw, tri, square and pulse with 2 or 3 duty cycles - can't remember which ones but I think it's 25% and 5%)
2.) 2 filters (VCF1: multimode 12dB highpass, 12 dB lowpass, 6dB notch, VCF2: 24dB transistor ladder)
5.) flexible routing with separate knobs: each VCO can be sent to either VCF1, VCF 2 or both
:drool:

and if it can ship for $399 it will be the best bargain in years. :lol:

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:07 pm

His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:43 pm

Gianni wrote:Sorry, little mistake made by me, I copied "Mini-Format" as the brand because that's what I read somewhere else.
Apparently, the company's name is actually Helmtronic. :D

So this 4-VCO thing is called the Helmtronic Challenger.

----------------------

EDIT:

Ok, so on paper it sounds very similar to a yamaha CS-30 :lol:
Do you even post on vse bro?

Max Websta
Gear: Minimoog,Clavinet C, Oberheim OB-SX, Yamaha YC-45D,K2vx,Yamaha EX5, Ensoniq ASR 10,Chroma Polaris, Oberheim Dx,Tascam 388 and Tascam Sx-1Le,

Post by Max Websta » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:47 am

1. It's great to see the new and longer ribbon controller!

2. I like the chord mode. It was a cool feature on the Andromeda I sold.

3. I also look forward to receiving mine in June

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2010/03/ ... -on-video/

casimirsblake
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by casimirsblake » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:32 pm

diezdiazgiant wrote:That being said... that new elektron box really excites me
Had the same effect for me, for about an hour... then when it was properly "unveiled", it turns out the emphasis is on DJs and "producers". I have yet to see any evidence that it is possible to do any sort of traditional / chromatic sequencing on the Octatrack. So far, it looks like all that's possible is "one-shot" or phrase sampling, so yes: for talentless techno DJs, if you want the cynical view.

I'm sure there will be people who do great things with this box, but for those of us that would like a sampling step-sequencer to COMPOSE with, the ESX and Spectralis are the only two all-in-one options. Still. :(

(But I would like to be proven wrong in this case, I hope Elektron add a basic "synth" architecture option, a-la ESX keyboard parts...)

diezdiazgiant
Gear: a computer and some odd bits of junk and microphones
Band: jizzflap f**k

Post by diezdiazgiant » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:49 pm

casimirsblake wrote:
diezdiazgiant wrote:That being said... that new elektron box really excites me
Had the same effect for me, for about an hour... then when it was properly "unveiled", it turns out the emphasis is on DJs and "producers". I have yet to see any evidence that it is possible to do any sort of traditional / chromatic sequencing on the Octatrack. So far, it looks like all that's possible is "one-shot" or phrase sampling, so yes: for talentless techno DJs, if you want the cynical view.

I'm sure there will be people who do great things with this box, but for those of us that would like a sampling step-sequencer to COMPOSE with, the ESX and Spectralis are the only two all-in-one options. Still. :(

(But I would like to be proven wrong in this case, I hope Elektron add a basic "synth" architecture option, a-la ESX keyboard parts...)

wow you're a contemptuous asshole over a piece of equipment not suiting your needs.

unless you're hemorrhaging money and can afford a wall of synths, for most writers the most feasible means of performing your music is something that for all intents and purposes is DJing. regardless of the details of that tho - your remark is condescending bullshit.
blunted daydreaming

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:25 pm

diezdiazgiant wrote:wow you're a contemptuous asshole over a piece of equipment not suiting your needs.

unless you're hemorrhaging money and can afford a wall of synths, for most writers the most feasible means of performing your music is something that for all intents and purposes is DJing. regardless of the details of that tho - your remark is condescending bullshit.
+1
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:37 pm

must need some kind of extra-wacky synth that is not aimed to djing???

From my point of view, it can be helpul for a wide range of applications and performing situations.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma