New Roland and/or Korg synths using REAL analog filters?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Gianni

Re: New Roland and/or Korg synths using REAL analog filters?

Post by Gianni » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:12 pm

balma wrote:What the h**l means "massive sound" for Roland? That term appears on almost all the descriptions of its last products....
Supersaw-based Jump patch.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:15 pm

Ahhhh , digital Van Halen, ,now I get it....

Taking a closer look to the Monotron, I'm also getting another hard-on with it.

A filter box with the MS 10 LPF plus several extras for $60?

I predict hundreds of trucks filled with monotrons invading the stores
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:23 pm

StepLogik wrote:I also think the Monotron is underwhelming but its a good sign and I'm sure I'll pick one up for fun noises and mods. Korg is still coming out with innovative and unique products and making great synths while Roland just repackages the same old stuff. If the monotron sells well, I fully expect Korg to release a higher-end version with far more features.
I can see the noise and drone crowds going crazy for this, considering theres people out there trying to sell square wave oscillators that are little more than glorified atari punk consoles for over a hundred bucks. Of course that scene isn't exactly a huge part of the synth buying market.
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.

Operatron

Post by Operatron » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:37 pm

nice monotron

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:46 pm

soundxplorer wrote:
Megakazbek wrote:
tallowwaters wrote:For 60 bucks, why complain?
Why complain? Because Korg basically spat in the face of all people who hoped for a modern analog synth by "Big three".
Spat in our faces?
Dude, you seriously need a perspective check.
Definitely. If that is all you have to get upset about, let's swap lives. :roll:

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:55 pm

what is funny, is that all the latest products start with the name "Micro" except this one....

[youtube][/youtube]

by sure you'll need this:

Image to stick it to the table so it won't slip when you touch it
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

Mr Knesh
Gear: DP/4+ because in order to dive in deep, you have to DP.

Post by Mr Knesh » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:14 am

After checking out the demos the filter on the gaia sounds pretty awesome! He didn't drive the res to its peak but the filter sweeps he did with it sounded very smooth and pleasing. If anything, that in itself is a huge improvement over the sh201 or any of the other filters roland has placed into their synths in the last 10 years.
kuroichi wrote:
balma wrote:What the h**l means "massive sound" for Roland? That term appears on almost all the descriptions of its last products....
The thing is, all the products theyve been releasing sound the same, with slightly different setups.
Two or more osc detuned from each other with a bunch of reverb/delay...

And as far as being marketed as a prog-rock synth but being demoed as a trance synth, I just finished listening to a few Tomita records and he had some seriously thick trancey bass lines!

colmon

Post by colmon » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:00 am

a nice monotron demo here

http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/mus ... emo-241346

so tiny! will fit perfectly on top of my tg33

polardark

Post by polardark » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:05 am

Well, I'm probably getting two monotrons either way :)
One for breaking and one as a spare.

Let's see if Korg has the same logistics issues with this as they did with the kaossilator and miniKP. Tried to get my hands on those for months and they were out of stock when I tried to buy one both in Sweden and in the US before I finally managed to track them down at a Guitar Center much later.

diezdiazgiant
Gear: a computer and some odd bits of junk and microphones
Band: jizzflap f**k

Post by diezdiazgiant » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:14 am

Cool. I don't think I will find a use for monotron but I like korg and think they manage to make tools that are both mass market and useful.
People knocked the electribes because they're mass market, now that they're no longer in production look how many people have changed their minds. And its obviously subjective but I think the radias sounds pretty damn good and is loaded with some very useful features.
blunted daydreaming

Fogflip
Gear: voyager, MOOG LP II, virus TI, Jupiter 6, Monome 256, 2006 fender American strat, thingamakit, casio sk1, motu ultralite mk3, cp-251.

Post by Fogflip » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:04 am

you think if they make a tron series of gear think thier will be a tron legacy collection lol :D :D :D

in all realty its a step in a new but old direction for korg you have to walk before you can run (i guess again) but h**l im happy with monotron rather than microkorg in blue rainbow and glow in the dark.
Take it sleazy

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:19 am

Well, to me the Monotron is fantastic news - how the f#$k can anyone complain about this, and at that price?

I mean, the amount of bitching about the "big three" Japanese companies not making analog, and now they do and some are still not happy. To me this is a step in the right direction, I think it's f**k'n fantastic that Korg are making something analog again, and to me it sounds very good - I won't bother comparing to an MS-20 but the Monotron does sound squelchy, check this demo -

...and lets be honest, I see this

as the low point for Korg, in perspective the monotron looks to be very good news IMO :D

Dogboy73

Post by Dogboy73 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:02 am

Fogflip wrote:you think if they make a tron series of gear think thier will be a tron legacy collection lol :D :D :D

in all realty its a step in a new but old direction for korg.
I think you might be right. I think Korg could be testing the water with this thing. If it does well then of course they will take the idea further I'm sure. With the popularity of ancient analogue gear, much of it coming from the likes of Korg & Roland et al, how long could these big companies ignore it? I think (I certainly hope) that this thing is just the beginning in a series of Korg analogues. If this turns out to be the then other comapnies like Roland will definitely follow suit. Bring it on I say :D

polyklinik
Gear: VCO, VCF, THC, LSD

Post by polyklinik » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:55 am

I'm waiting for the monotron mods. Midi, pulse width, FM-Filter Mod (like poly800) would be nice and maybe possible(?).,..

aphlux
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: Korg Radias/Access Virus C/
Moog Little Phatty/Korg TR Rack (combi)/Roland JP-8080/MS2000R/M3/Juno-106/MD SPS-1 UW MK2
Band: Hobbyist

Post by aphlux » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:28 pm

diezdiazgiant wrote: And its obviously subjective but I think the radias sounds pretty damn good and is loaded with some very useful features.
You are my new best friend, since ever since ive owned one of these, i've gotten nothing but hate for it. I enjoy the Radias a lot.

And yeah, at a 60 dollar price tag? A few of these will be bought to see what mods we can do =]

And honestly, i'd rather just keep my JP-8080 and not buy a Gaia.
Unless the Gaia just blows my mind.