New Roland and/or Korg synths using REAL analog filters?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
ronP
Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B
Band: Keyfish

Re: New Roland and/or Korg synths using REAL analog filters?

Post by ronP » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:13 pm

Hybrid88 wrote:Well, to me the Monotron is fantastic news - how the f#$k can anyone complain about this, and at that price?

:D
oo

I very much agree, Hybrid88. I have a "$100 Rule" arrangement with my wife -- any gear acquisition under that price is just fine, not even in need of discussion -- so I'll pick up a Monotron, connect it to my mini-KP, then play and tweak along with my ZOOM MRT-3B. I'll have a complete band for $300 and that takes up less than one square foot of stage space . . . 8-)

oo
BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;
ROLAND Micro-CUBE; YAMAHA PSS130, PSS140; ZOOM FS-01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Wanted: BOSS DR-110; CASIO CZ-101; YAMAHA CS-01, DX-100

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:00 pm

Nice Monotron demo....

At least! I'm gonna be able to emulate that incredible riff at 3:21:

And I ARE SERIOUS....
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

Hair

Post by Hair » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:20 pm

The Monotron is absurdly awesome. Sure, it's not a proper synth, but ~$60 for an MS-10/20 lp filter box + VCO and LFO? I can live without an EG now. h**l, it might be worth it to pick up two of them for some wacky never-perfect stereo filtering. I'll be picking up at least one, for the reasons above and especially to show Korg that analog is what's up.

Roland's offerings don't really do anything for me, I'm just not a fan of their VA engine. I will say that MFB stuff in the other thread looks hot as h**l though.

detomasso
Gear: Nord Modular Rack, MPC1000, Nord MicroModular, Roland-SH32, EMU X-Board 61

Post by detomasso » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:26 pm

balma wrote:Nice Monotron demo....

And I ARE SERIOUS....

and how will you control your monotron to play gated riff at 135+ bpm ?
MPC1000, Nord MicroModular, Roland-SH32, EMU X-Board 61

skweeegor

Post by skweeegor » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:42 pm

balma wrote:Nice Monotron demo....

And I ARE SERIOUS....
Wow, I've read about the way Madonna stays relevant by paying the latest hot producer to make her an album that represents whatever's popular at the moment but I was too young at the time that song was released to notice. Shameless.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:03 am

I haven't google it, but I think that's the infamous Korg filter in the hands of Mr Orbit. Anyway, ray of light is a blast of electronic music.

And that riff at the 3:21 have obssessed me during years. Is the PERFECT FILTER tweaking.

Of course I was not being serious with emulating it... that will be sacrilege!
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:04 am

For the price I'm sold on the Monotron, but can it also do not so squelchy things? I'd like to see a synth bass demo......

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:10 am

How much wailing and gnashing of teeth is there going to be when people discover it's not actually the same filter as in an MS-10 or 20? I predict: A lot.

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:23 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:How much wailing and gnashing of teeth is there going to be when people discover it's not actually the same filter as in an MS-10 or 20? I predict: A lot.
Korg is basically saying it's the same filter http://www.korg.com/Product.aspx?pd=571 Pretty shady of Korg imo. Still, for under $70 I won't complain

colmon

Post by colmon » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:07 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:How much wailing and gnashing of teeth is there going to be when people discover it's not actually the same filter as in an MS-10 or 20? I predict: A lot.
yes you're right, korg are lying. i know this because i, too, have watched a couple of low res youtube demos of said filter in action

diezdiazgiant
Gear: a computer and some odd bits of junk and microphones
Band: jizzflap f**k

Post by diezdiazgiant » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:20 pm

colmon wrote:
yes you're right, korg are lying. i know this because i, too, have watched a couple of low res youtube demos of said filter in action

He knows they're lying for a variety of reasons. First one being is the filter would HAVE to be made from similar components as a lot if not most of those bits and ends aren't even manufactored any more. Cloned stuff can sound pretty but there's always some difference between the original and the copy - frequency response, emphasis, the exact rolloff of the filter...
blunted daydreaming

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by balma » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:29 pm

"Features the same classic analog filter found in the legendary Korg MS-10 & MS-20"

Long nose emoticon should be placed here.

"Filter any external source using the audio input jack"

I wonder if I can plug a MIC on it.

Lots of teens purchasing the MONOTRON, because they'll get "RAY OF LIGHT" sound for $60.

Anyway, the tinytron is a sales success without shipping the first one yet.

polardark

Post by polardark » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:36 pm

I did notice one cool thing, listening to the musikmesse demos:
It appears that the sawtooth LFO phase is synchronized to the note gate. This means that it can be used as a simple decaying filter envelope.

Yatmandu
Gear: reverse

Post by Yatmandu » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:20 pm

Nice to see Korg sticking their little toe in the analog waters. Can this lead to some sort of analog revival from the Japanese companies, eg: MS-10/20 re-issue with smd components?

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:32 pm

As it is, I could see myself being interested only in a new polyphonic analog by a company like Korg. There's already plenty of modern analog monosynths around. So something based around PolySix / Trident could get my attention.