New Roland and/or Korg synths using REAL analog filters?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Re: New Roland and/or Korg synths using REAL analog filters?

Post by balma » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:43 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
balma wrote:Sometimes we forget that not all the people are synth freaks....

Presuming that you only use "real sounds" on your music, is like saying: "I didn't use any factory preset on this track" Does somebody who listens the track and is not a synth freak, cares about that?
I don't know about you, but I write music to please the masses, but I also write music to impress my fellow musicians. It's easy to please the masses... h**l, I could throw something together on GarageBand in 5 minutes that would sell if I had some chick saying dirty things over it. However, to write something which impresses both the ignorant masses AND the fellow musicians you respect, that's something to shoot for.
You are talking about the "extras" you obtain of sound programming? ;)

99% of my sounds are self made, furthermore, most of them are made from scratch, and my main source of sounds, are samples, that I made with my synths combining or layering several ones.

Besides in the process of programming a user patch , you learn how to use it. You program X knob or controller, to affect the filter and resonance on a 66% when tweaking it from left to right.
So, when you pick that sound and put it in a song, you will remember the behavior of that sound when touching certain knob. You learn to know your sounds and they feel more familiar.

Also, not all the synths have the presets of the Evolver. I could spend months using them without programming a single patch, they are incredible.

On the other side, a synth like the Fizmo requires you to sit down long hours with it and programming new sounds, because its preset patches are s**t.

But let's be realistic. Most of people doesn't know a s**t what you are doing when touching a knob in a gig, or they does not notice the difference between original sounds, or the patch #32 of the Juno 106.

I admit I feel amazed when I hear somebody taking to the edge a synth, but I synth that I know or I have in my room, otherwise I don't know if the guy is a very good programmer, or the synth is a great machine.

If it sounds good, use it. no matters if analog, rompler patch, sample, or VA.

On last years, I have been more interested on non-common source sounds and sampling diversification, than in getting a big analog fat sound...
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

diezdiazgiant
Gear: a computer and some odd bits of junk and microphones
Band: jizzflap f**k

Re: New Roland and/or Korg synths using REAL analog filters?

Post by diezdiazgiant » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:17 am

balma wrote: On last years, I have been more interested on non-common source sounds and sampling diversification, than in getting a big analog fat sound...

i always found it amazingly retarded when one would read some brain dead music publications album "reviews" where 60 minutes of audio is summed up in one paragraph of idiotic buzz words (URB, pitchfork...) and if the album was supposed to be recieving praise that paragraph would mostly consist of "its very analog" and "and in your face".... never mind that the artist would openly confirm everything was a vst or some other digital paraphernalia. kinda daft...
blunted daydreaming