The One(s) That Got Away

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

The One(s) That Got Away

Post by Cumulus » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:27 pm

I was talking to my boss today about stuff we remember form the 80's and she casually mentioned that she had a pink Casio SK-1 when she was a kid. I, being the nice guy that I am, let her know that they are pretty sought-after these days and fetch some decent money on Ebay. She says it’s long-gone but if it ever shows up she'll bring it in for me.

Back in the late 80's I used to play a Yamaha VSS-30 on a long-term loan from a friend of mine. I finally felt bad about keeping it for several months and gave it back to him only to have him lend it to someone else. I don’t think he ever saw it again.

I also passed up a Korg Mono/Poly for $100 at my favorite pawn shop back in the early 90’s.

So, which synth purchases have you passed on that keep you awake at night these days?

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Re: The One(s) That Got Away

Post by balma » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:47 pm

none really. I got rid from a Yamaha W7 workstation to a nephew and he's now a h**l of a player with it. 1000 times better than me on the W7. I also gave him the last one of my Roland Groovebox series, a D1. And he could play it blind.

But I'm a quite miserable producer to give away anything!
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

Scories
Gear: Micromoog, JX-3P, Minikorg 700, Z1

Post by Scories » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:07 pm

About 10 years ago:

A mint Univox Minikorg 700s for 80$ because I already had one (that looks like trash).

3 mint MS-20's being sold 500$ each; because the guy wanted to sell them altogether, with a Mellotron and a Jupiter6. At that time, they were generally being sold around 900$. That was the synth I wanted to have but I did not had the 1500$ then ...and I never had one.

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:47 am

When I was in college (early '80s), a gal that my brother knew in Nashville offered to sell me her Minimoog for $300. But, well, I was a college student and I couldn't scrape that much cash together, and she wouldn't budge on the price.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

adhmzaiusz

Post by adhmzaiusz » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:32 am

Back around 2000 was the time when I regret not buying every synth I saw. There was this shop in Toronto that regularly had all sorts of vintage synths for 1/3 to 1/4 of what they are worth now. I remember thinking the TB303 in the display was too much at $500. I remember seeing a CS50 for about $800 and used digital synths still fetched alot of money second hand. And lastly I remember wanting the Rhodes chroma that was at my brother's work but thinking it was just a little too much at $600.

I really wish I could communicate with the old me and tell him how much grief he'd give the future me.
‹‡›

Scories
Gear: Micromoog, JX-3P, Minikorg 700, Z1

Post by Scories » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:11 am

How could have we known that electronic music would be the next big thing and that these already old fragile machine would be sold 2 to 6 times the price!!!

Yeah, a sad thread...

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:33 am

I saw a perfectly good MonoPoly sell for $100 on eBay back in 2007.
soundcloud.com/vectron

rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member
Band: Ghost Fires, The Witch Family

Post by rharris07 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:39 am

hammond b3 WITH leslie speaker. makes me sick to this day. our salvation army had one from a church (i think thats where it came from if i remember right), and it had been sitting for a few days - a friend of mine ended up getting it. he had a friend that worked there as a volunteer and called him saying do you want this organ? they'll give it to you for 50 bucks and deliver it for free if you'll just get it out of there...of course he said yes.

how i come in is that i stopped by there the day before he got it - so i was there and it was there but i never saw it (not sure why)...but if i had asked, or looked deeper i might have found the damn thing. it works perfectly too...it sickens me. i got to play it at his place recently, in perfect condition...its just crazy.

MEK | SixTrak | DrumTraks | Motif 8 | DW8000 | MicroKorg | EMX1 & ESX1 | Soviet TOM | Arp Quartet | SD-1 32V | Elka 490 | Indigo 2 | E6400 | Morpheus | SQ2 | DotCom Modular

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:43 am

In about 1986, TB 303s were considered a worthless toy. Shitty at synthesis, laughable sounds, etc. They couldn't give them away. I can't remember what they were at my local music store, but I very vividly remember seeing them there and laughing at them (like I still do... except in regard to price). I can only imagine what sort of glorious benefit could have been mine had I bought their entire stock... I probably could have gotten it for the price ONE of them would go for today.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:46 am

Missed out a Jupiter-6 w/ flightcase for approx. 900 dollars. In sweden, that is beyond cheap.

n1nj4

Post by n1nj4 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:57 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:In about 1986, TB 303s were considered a worthless toy.
Too true. My dad literally threw one away in the '80s. :lol:

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:59 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:...I probably could have gotten it for the price ONE of them would go for today.
Or less. :/
soundcloud.com/vectron

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:48 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:In about 1986, TB 303s were considered a worthless toy. Shitty at synthesis, laughable sounds, etc. They couldn't give them away. I can't remember what they were at my local music store, but I very vividly remember seeing them there and laughing at them (like I still do... except in regard to price). I can only imagine what sort of glorious benefit could have been mine had I bought their entire stock... I probably could have gotten it for the price ONE of them would go for today.
Yep. The first time I saw a 303 was in a guitar shop in Knoxville, TN. They said I could have it for $90 and I still turned them down :lol: Still kicking myself for that one...

Also passed up a Moog Prodigy in a guitar shop in Harriman, TN for $100.

vespiz
Band: Masterstroke

Post by vespiz » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:49 pm

A CS-50 for about €100-120 over 10 years back (when we still had a different currency..).
We had closed the deal, but on the next day, the seller called that he'd turned it on to check everything is ok and it had promptly blown up. And that he'd also get better money from the insurance company for the damages and it would be the dumpster for this bugger ("beyond repair").

Personally, I think he got a better offer from someone else, but who knows?

Ah, well..
Akai SG01v | Nord Modular Rack, Electro 2 61 | Korg ER-1, PolySix, Symphony 03, Triton Extreme, Wavestation EX | MAM MB-33 | Novation DrumStation | Roland RS-505, R-8. SH-2000, XV-5050, Juno-60, JD-800 | Yamaha AN1x, CS-40m, CS-80 | WLM Hit