The One(s) That Got Away

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Clavier
Gear: A distraction.
Band: Rhode Out West

Re: The One(s) That Got Away

Post by Clavier » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:37 am

adhmzaiusz wrote:Well on the lighter side, I got a good deal a few months ago that "got away" from at least someone else, while on tour with the band we stopped into a pawn shop for the h**l of it in St' John New Brunswick. I was the last one into the shop and I'll never forget the look on my friends face, "Greg they got a JUPITER 8!" I ran through the store and yelled "i'm buying it!" and found out it was only $1500 and physically in pretty good shape. Every day I wake up to it right there, ohh its a good feeling. And come to think of it, I paid the same price for my JP8000 in '98
That story makes me smile.
Hammond RT-2, Hammond M3, Hammond L-102, Rhodes mk1 suitcase 88, Sequential Circuits Prophet-5, Yamaha TX-802, Fender Twin Reverb, Leslie 45

paugui

Post by paugui » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:10 am

clusterchord wrote:3yrs ago, a friend's Trident mk1 for 300 eur. it was already in my studio for 2 months. and then i decided i have too many synths. and needed the money elsewhere.

yes. i was a complete idiot.

i still miss its beautiful sound to this day.

I got one recently for about that price (the seller added 35 euros for the delivery).
Unfortunately after 48 hours of use, the presets and the manual mode of the synth section stop working (however, using the memories or the other two sections it still works fines).
By the way, anyone has an idea of what might be happening with it?

Clavier
Gear: A distraction.
Band: Rhode Out West

Post by Clavier » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:55 pm

Baldwin Combo Electric Harpsichord - $350
Yamaha CS-60 - $600
Yamaha DX5 - $150
Clavinet D6, Moog Source, Kustom 88 - $1000
Pipe organ - free
Hammond B-2 - $700
2x Yamaha EX-2 - free

*Sigh* :|
Hammond RT-2, Hammond M3, Hammond L-102, Rhodes mk1 suitcase 88, Sequential Circuits Prophet-5, Yamaha TX-802, Fender Twin Reverb, Leslie 45

jrmatix

Post by jrmatix » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:32 am

In 2001 I had the opportunity to pick up a Roland SH-7 for something like $600. I've never seen one for sale since. If I remember correctly it had one or two missing slider caps or knobs but functioned beautifully. Sigh.

blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MV8800, Sub37, Integra 7, Mininova, Fusion, Biscuit, TimeFactor, SP-555, SP-404, SPD-SX
Band: Blavatsky

Post by blavatsky » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:47 pm

Korg poly800 - $25
Yamaha Electone (one of the FM type ones?) - $80 delivered
Korg ESX on ebay - $127
Nord Electro - $400 or 500 can't remember

gearfixer
Gear: ARP Pro DGX, Avatar, EX 800, RS101, VK-8M, Juno 60, 200a, Fast 5, and Rhodes MK1 stage 73.

Post by gearfixer » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:36 pm

Roland Juiptor 8 within the last year at a pawn shop for $1500. They would of sold it to me for $1200 but they said if in 3 months if it was still here they would let me have it for $800. 2 and 3/4 months later a guy walks in and paid full price.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:45 am

(thanks for the great comics dave lovelace!)

adhmzaiusz

Post by adhmzaiusz » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:54 am

gearfixer wrote:Roland Juiptor 8 within the last year at a pawn shop for $1500. They would of sold it to me for $1200 but they said if in 3 months if it was still here they would let me have it for $800. 2 and 3/4 months later a guy walks in and paid full price.
:oops:
and they did tell me it was there for about 3 months too :D
‹‡›

gearfixer
Gear: ARP Pro DGX, Avatar, EX 800, RS101, VK-8M, Juno 60, 200a, Fast 5, and Rhodes MK1 stage 73.

Post by gearfixer » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:22 pm

adhmzaiusz wrote:
gearfixer wrote:Roland Juiptor 8 within the last year at a pawn shop for $1500. They would of sold it to me for $1200 but they said if in 3 months if it was still here they would let me have it for $800. 2 and 3/4 months later a guy walks in and paid full price.
:oops:
and they did tell me it was there for about 3 months too :D
Number 1 on your list eh.

I thought you would chime in. I'm glad you got it, since you wanted one for a while. It did not speak to me for some reason still at $1200 I would have done good. :) If you see a CS5 for $75 in TO let me have it would ya. ;)

gearfixer

Post by gearfixer » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:05 pm

adhmzaiusz wrote:Well on the lighter side, I got a good deal a few months ago that "got away" from at least someone else, while on tour with the band we stopped into a pawn shop for the h**l of it in St' John New Brunswick. I was the last one into the shop and I'll never forget the look on my friends face, "Greg they got a JUPITER 8!" I ran through the store and yelled "i'm buying it!" and found out it was only $1500 and physically in pretty good shape. Every day I wake up to it right there, ohh its a good feeling. And come to think of it, I paid the same price for my JP8000 in '98

I did not see this post till now. :lol:

You know you were in Moncton, New Brunswick not Saint John.

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:35 am

I remembered two that got away recently. I posted about the Roland Space Echo before except that it wasn't a Space Echo. It was an Echoplex EP-3. I don't know why I was thinking SPace Echo but I remember seeing the Echoplex plain as day and I was holding it in my hand but I did not want to pay the ridiculously low price because I wanted one of the new digital delays that were out at the time.

The other one was at the same flea market where I passed on the Echoplex.

It was a Rheem Kee Bass for $30.00. I played real bass so I did not see a use for it at the time.

I'll bet these are hard to come by these days.

Some people want to invent a time machine so they can go back and buy stocks. I would just buy synths.

druzz
Band: November's Ego

Post by druzz » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:52 am

i just missed a jx-3p for 40 $
i was trying to be a good boy , staying away from craigslist for a couple of days. and thats the reward i get.

adhmzaiusz

Post by adhmzaiusz » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:16 am

gearfixer wrote:

Haha thats what touring does to ya... you are right, it was Moncton. There was a synth guy I met while in Fredericton who was from St John, who knew about the JP at that shop-- who after I told him Roland was my favourite synth brand, didn't utter a peep about it. The next day I found it, bought it, played St John the next day and I saw him again and mentioned my triumphant find. I think he was also sad that the JP got away and he confessed he knew about it :mrgreen:
‹‡›

gearfixer

Post by gearfixer » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:17 pm

adhmzaiusz wrote:
gearfixer wrote:

Haha thats what touring does to ya... you are right, it was Moncton. There was a synth guy I met while in Fredericton who was from St John, who knew about the JP at that shop-- who after I told him Roland was my favourite synth brand, didn't utter a peep about it. The next day I found it, bought it, played St John the next day and I saw him again and mentioned my triumphant find. I think he was also sad that the JP got away and he confessed he knew about it :mrgreen:
I just got my VK-8M at the same shop for $600. That place has served me well I've got alot of crazy deals there but no synths yet. I hope you like it for some reason I was not crazy over for it or it would have be mine.

There was a CS5 that was like $25 on Kijiji a few months back that I wish I would have got to first.

Christopher Winkels
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Christopher Winkels » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:03 pm

ARP 2600 in very good condition for $1,000. Alas, it was 1993 and I was a student...