Electribes Updated

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Electribes Updated

Post by stephen » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:07 am

Looks like the EMX and ESX have had a bit of a make-over. New factory patterns (by Denkitribe!) and SD card slots... up to 32Gb supported

http://korg.com/Product.aspx?pd=158
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNAozsyLJRQ

http://korg.com/Product.aspx?pd=159
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSdvL0gxY5k
Stephen(2)

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: Electribes Updated

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:05 am

This has already been discussed in the messe thread. Not really that big a deal, especially for the EMX, cause the files are so small anyway. It's good that you can store up to 32GB on one card, but the actual memory size of the samples that you can load into the machine hasn't changed so it doesn't really offer any more functionality apart except that it's easier to buy new SD cards than SM ones.

New factory patterns? Great, you get to delete something new when you take it home instead of something old. :D

diezdiazgiant
Gear: a computer and some odd bits of junk and microphones
Band: jizzflap f**k

Post by diezdiazgiant » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:53 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:This has already been discussed in the messe thread. Not really that big a deal, especially for the EMX, cause the files are so small anyway. It's good that you can store up to 32GB on one card, but the actual memory size of the samples that you can load into the machine hasn't changed so it doesn't really offer any more functionality apart except that it's easier to buy new SD cards than SM ones.

New factory patterns? Great, you get to delete something new when you take it home instead of something old. :D

i think with the sx not having to have dozens of memory cards will be nice. assuming with the new format that it partitions the card into 128 mb project folders you could in effect treat the esx like a single channel in ableton - going into pattern set, patterns will behave as clips and 128 mbs is plenty of memory for say sampling an 8/16 bar phrase and creating expressive variations of it. using it in this fashion especially with 2 of them i really feel that you can do really fun and involved dj sets.
but that all depends on how they partition it and set up loading.
blunted daydreaming

mute

Post by mute » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:24 am

the updated hardware has me thinking that new electribe models are likely right around the corner... they're already really late on this though and at this rate nothing will be announced towards the end of the year, or if earlier.. with a release date in 2011. absurd considering how old and popular the esx/emx are while at the same time they keep releasing the same repackaged workstation kb's...over.. and over... while roland is the worst at this, korg is guilty too even if they do go outside the lines (thankgod) from time to time.

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by clubbedtodeath » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:41 pm

(Wishful thinking)
A fully-analogue EA-1, perhaps?

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:58 pm

esx1 with analog filters, more poly and more sample storage capabilities.

I don't care about the upgrade, it won't make any difference, if you have a SM reader on your PC, that costs $8-12 on Amazon
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:51 pm

I wonder if this will be available as an upgrade through Korg?
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

PitchBender
Gear: 4 electribes and a case of beer.
Band: Pigslice

Post by PitchBender » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:50 pm

So at this rate I think we can estimate it will be 8 years before we get new Electribes.
"no one on Facebook is looking for anything except for a way to tell you how great their fat kids are."

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:00 pm

The fact that they only changed the card type and patterns suggests they're not spending too much time working on new models :roll:

I'm surprised they didn't do this a few years ago. It's hard to believe they were still selling well despite SM cards going extinct...was there a card included in the box?
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:15 pm

At least this shows that they haven't given up on the Electribe concept!
I agree with mute that this probably a sign that a new generation is on the way. Remember they've already done this when they released the original Electribes in mk2.

So although I'm disappointed in Korg for only improving the media storage (who cares about preset patterns?), I choose to be positive here.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:58 pm

I'm with Balma. I can't believe people are still complaining about SM cards with cheap SMtoXD converters out there.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:44 pm

I got that convertor when I read about it on the Stickies announcement on the Samplers Forum.

Actually, thanks to that, I was able to load any sample from my PC into the Electribe, also, organizing my projects, my ESX files, ,everything related to it. . That was a giant step on my workflow and one of the best tips I read here.

Many many thanks, you affected my life in a positive way.
:thumbsup:
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

diezdiazgiant
Gear: a computer and some odd bits of junk and microphones
Band: jizzflap f**k

Post by diezdiazgiant » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:21 am

clubbedtodeath wrote:(Wishful thinking)
A fully-analogue EA-1, perhaps?
I don't think that would be all that far fetched man, throw one of those monoboxes into a case with the ea1 sequencer...
They wouldn't need to do much r&d.

s**t I will shocked if someone doesn't just make a mod that accomplishes that. Midi that monobox, hardwire the new midi to the out on the ea1, and throw that frankenstein beast in a new casing.

Edit: that mod would probably suck tho since you lose the motion sequencing
blunted daydreaming