John Bowen Solaris video Messe 2010

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Max Websta
Gear: Minimoog,Clavinet C, Oberheim OB-SX, Yamaha YC-45D,K2vx,Yamaha EX5, Ensoniq ASR 10,Chroma Polaris, Oberheim Dx,Tascam 388 and Tascam Sx-1Le,

Re: John Bowen Solaris video Messe 2010

Post by Max Websta » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:15 am

Two more Messe 2010 videos here!

johnb

Post by johnb » Mon May 17, 2010 1:06 pm

Boxed wrote:Oh cool. I understand from the video he also designed the SC Prophet 5. If he made the Oasys - I guess he must have also designed its spin-offs the Z1 and Prophecy. That's quite a legacy of classic synths to his name.
Having just now read this, I wanted to jump in here and clarify - I did not design the Prophet 5 (that is clearly Dave Smith), the Z1 or the Prophecy (those were both done by Korg Japan)! Nor did I 'make' the OASYS ....the OASYS was an immense project with many contributors (my main work on it was the screen layout and UI for the original keyboard and subsequent PCI card version). With all these projects there is usually a team of people involved. The Prophet 5 was an exception - Dave and I met several times to discuss how the front panel should be arranged, and what features it should have, but the actual implementation of it all was by Dave. (I'm just happy that I managed to convince him to include the functionality of the PolyMod section, since I was going to have to make the presets, and I had certain parameters in mind that I felt were absolutely necessary!). I would rather say that I contributed to the design, at best (as well as the actual sound design, of course).

The Solaris, on the other hand, is really 'my baby' - the panel layout, the functionality, the overall structure - but I still had to hire the engineers to write the code and handle the physical development (circuit board design, front panel and case, etc.). Even then, I am always happy to take in suggestions where the engineers have a better solution, as they can see things sometimes by understanding the internal structural flow of the coding that I can't. (An example of this is the FX Routing in the Solaris, which is an implementation by the coders, and is even more flexible than what I had previously specified.)
At Sequential and then Korg, Scott Peterson was the main engineer who did this - he made a lot of valuable contributions to many of the Prophet and Wavestation products. Similarly, Chris Meyer and Josh Jeffe were critical in designing the Prophet VS...and then you have the fantastic sound design (voicing) team at Korg, who were such a big help in making the Wavestation come alive with such great sound programming!

One thing is for sure - it's very complicated to produce the sort of 'flagship' that I have been wanting the Solaris to represent. Even though I had been involved with the design of a lot of previous well-known synths, getting into the production details was new to me, and I have a new-found respect for all the little things that go into taking a concept from start to finish!

John Bowen
Last edited by johnb on Wed May 19, 2010 9:52 am, edited 6 times in total.

urgetoplay

Post by urgetoplay » Mon May 17, 2010 5:00 pm

Kudos for setting the record straight John..... I can't wait to see the Solaris.
Resonance in Humans is called Empathy.

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Tue May 18, 2010 6:49 pm

Now we just need the ghost of Bob Moog to join the board and clarify us on the differences between the Model D and the Voyager.

johnb

Post by johnb » Tue May 18, 2010 11:17 pm

Re: Voyager vs Mini model D - Well, for one thing, the filters are different. If you put both a Model D and Voyager into full filter resonance, and then lower the cutoffs gradually, you will find that the Voyager's filter will continue to oscillate into sub-audio range, while the Mini's will drop out midway (around A below middle C, I think - don't have mine working to test right now exactly). This fade out point probably varies a bit from one to the other Model Ds, too (it would be interesting to know what other owners of Minimoogs observe for this).
John Bowen

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Wed May 19, 2010 8:56 am

:lol:

Thanks John. My comment was meant as a joke, but I appreciate the insight. Good to see one of the people involved in the business commenting on these boards as well.

Max Websta
Gear: Minimoog,Clavinet C, Oberheim OB-SX, Yamaha YC-45D,K2vx,Yamaha EX5, Ensoniq ASR 10,Chroma Polaris, Oberheim Dx,Tascam 388 and Tascam Sx-1Le,

John Bowen Solaris video Messe 2011

Post by Max Websta » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:17 am

This is going to be a blast! :dancer:

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:06 am

we should all buy one so John can afford to get his Model D fixed? :D

philip

Post by philip » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:05 pm

This one is the most impressive solaris demo I've seen.

Also there would be interesting will there be a white colour version available?

johnb

Post by johnb » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:29 am

philip wrote:

This one is the most impressive solaris demo I've seen.

Also there would be interesting will there be a white colour version available?
Yes, we will still make units with the white case, but these are going to be more of a ‘special order’ item, made in advance.

John Bowen

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, Juno-60, Polysix, Emulator II, DX7, QX1, Arp Odyssey MKII, ESQ-1, Miami, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:38 am

Someday I want to see a Solaris and a Neuron on the same keyboard stand...
soundcloud.com/vectron

SubliminalEffect

Post by SubliminalEffect » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:26 pm

Alex E wrote:Someday I want to see a Solaris and a Neuron on the same keyboard stand...
an interesting request. why? because of Axel Hartmann's involvement in the front panel design?

johnb

Post by johnb » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:42 pm

SubliminalEffect wrote:
Alex E wrote:Someday I want to see a Solaris and a Neuron on the same keyboard stand...
an interesting request. why? because of Axel Hartmann's involvement in the front panel design?
Just a quick comment: while we did hire Axel to do a last-minute ‘fix’ for the original printing & graphics on the prototype I introduced in 2007, we have moved away from that design over the last few revisions with another guy, and I think it’s fair to say the graphics we have ended up with do not represent Axel’s work or vision (and I think Axel would agree with this).

Cheers,
John B.

urgetoplay

Post by urgetoplay » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:47 pm

I'll accomodate that request when my Solaris arrives ;)
Resonance in Humans is called Empathy.