Classic DX7 Patches

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
danika

Classic DX7 Patches

Post by danika » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:25 pm

I'm not looking for new patches, just the classic DX7 patches that were used in the 80's--something like the ones in this list (assuming its accurate): http://www.synthmania.com/dx7.htm. I have a Native Instruments FM8, not a DX7. However (as the forum mod in the software forum helpfully reminded me) I can import DX7 sysex.

Bross

Re: Classic DX7 Patches

Post by Bross » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:28 pm

http://www.maths.abdn.ac.uk/~bensondj/html/dx7.html

Download 1st zip file under "Patches"

That includes the original ROMs

8bit9bot
No Longer Registered

Post by 8bit9bot » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:07 pm

Also be aware that you may find a lot of duplicates... ROM1a, 1b, 2a, and 2b were the factory sounds in Japan and ROM3a, 3b, 4a, and 4b were the factory sounds in USA... i prefer the USA ones but there are a few awesome sounds that are missing which are in the Japanese set. At least half of the sounds overlap between the two.

EDIT: Some of the classic/familiar DX7 sounds were the presets on the DX7 mkii. Since you are using FM8 you should try to get a hold of the DX7ii presets as well. Most famous patch = "Super Bass".

danika

Post by danika » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:41 am

Thanks to all for the info. Got the original factory patches. Spent a little time looking for the mkii patches but haven't found them yet.

DIGITAL SCREAMS
Band: Digital Screams

Post by DIGITAL SCREAMS » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:37 am

danika wrote:I'm not looking for new patches, just the classic DX7 patches that were used in the 80's--something like the ones in this list (assuming its accurate): http://www.synthmania.com/dx7.htm. I have a Native Instruments FM8, not a DX7. However (as the forum mod in the software forum helpfully reminded me) I can import DX7 sysex.
I have both the hardware DX7 MKII and FM8 versions...

Collect all the original sysex files and place them in a folder on your computer. Next, load up FM8 and click 'File' > 'Import Sysex'. Load up the sound bank/individual sound you want and FM8 will convert it to run in software. In 'Browser' mode you will see a new entry 'ConvertedSysexSounds' (or something to that effect) and from there you will be able to call up the original DX7 sounds. I've extensively A/B'd the sounds and they sound identical (some of the modwheel LFO settings are off) but the fundemental sound character is the same. I run it in 32bit 96khz + high resolution mode....and im VERY happy with the results.

Once my DX is back from repair im going to copy all the sounds I've got on disk/cartridges for use in FM8. With FM8 I can take these sounds even further 8-)

Its funny, im less interested in using FM8 for new sounds....but as a comprehensive library/editing tool for all my old/classic sounds. Thats why I love FM....for the 80's vibe.

DS
Synthesizers: Roland Jupiter 8, Sequential Prophet 5, Moog Old School, Access Virus TI2, Yamaha DX7 MKII (and FM8), Roland D50, Korg Wavestation and M1

DIGITAL SCREAMS
Band: Digital Screams

Post by DIGITAL SCREAMS » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:43 am

8bit9bot wrote:Also be aware that you may find a lot of duplicates... ROM1a, 1b, 2a, and 2b were the factory sounds in Japan and ROM3a, 3b, 4a, and 4b were the factory sounds in USA... i prefer the USA ones but there are a few awesome sounds that are missing which are in the Japanese set. At least half of the sounds overlap between the two.

EDIT: Some of the classic/familiar DX7 sounds were the presets on the DX7 mkii. Since you are using FM8 you should try to get a hold of the DX7ii presets as well. Most famous patch = "Super Bass".
Very true. For instance you will find the classic ePiano and DX bass patches croping up. At first it confused me and I was worried that whoever 'archived' the files for future uses F*$&ED up. But no, its all good....just be aware.

There are atleast 6 super classic factory presets on the MKII Factory ROM cartridge - these include FullTines (THE sound of late 80's ePiano) and some brass/strings/bass. Dont even get me started on the Monster ROM 512 cartridge - which practically every artist used in the late 80's. Once my DX comes back im going to dump all the sounds from my collection - many of which have never been seen on the internet.

DS
Synthesizers: Roland Jupiter 8, Sequential Prophet 5, Moog Old School, Access Virus TI2, Yamaha DX7 MKII (and FM8), Roland D50, Korg Wavestation and M1

danika

Post by danika » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:42 pm

DIGITAL SCREAMS wrote:
8bit9bot wrote:
There are atleast 6 super classic factory presets on the MKII Factory ROM cartridge - these include FullTines (THE sound of late 80's ePiano) and some brass/strings/bass. Dont even get me started on the Monster ROM 512 cartridge - which practically every artist used in the late 80's. Once my DX comes back im going to dump all the sounds from my collection - many of which have never been seen on the internet.

DS
Does that mean you're going to post them on the internet?

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, DX7, TX7, Juno-106, AX60, Pro One, S1000, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:44 pm

^I hope he does. That would be awesome.
soundcloud.com/vectron

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, DX7, TX7, Juno-106, AX60, Pro One, S1000, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:45 pm

BTW does anyone know where I can get the original factory presets for the IID/IIFD?
soundcloud.com/vectron

8bit9bot
No Longer Registered

Post by 8bit9bot » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:08 pm

i am pretty sure most of the sounds on the DX7ii factory cartridge can be found in the TX802 internal factory presets - im not sure if conversion is required... but i am sure MOST of the sounds are on the TX802 presets... there are a handful which are missing... try to find the TX802 sysex dump of the internal patches - i have seen it online before (for use w/ FM8 and whatnot)