Roland SH01

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
White
Gear: Quite a few synths

Roland SH01

Post by White » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:20 pm

I have a Roland SH32 and was just reading about the new Roland Gaia SH01. Has anyone tried one out yet? How does it compare?
Duncan J. White + quite a few synths
http://www.myspace.com/stickman76590059

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: Roland SH01

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:12 am

Nobody's tried an SH01, there's an early proto at Messe but it's not actually finished yet. Wait til it actually comes out before asking for opinions, although I'm sure there will be a lot of people who'll give you their opinion of it anyway. ;)

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:38 am

With that said I'm pretty sure the sounds are derived from either the Fantom or RS (Juno-D) engine. It might be worth asking yourself if you're a fan of Roland's more recent workstations.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:45 am

OriginalJambo wrote:With that said I'm pretty sure the sounds are derived from either the Fantom or RS (Juno-D) engine. It might be worth asking yourself if you're a fan of Roland's more recent workstations.
No. If it was based on a ROMpler engine it would have much more polyphony. This is why people should hold off on their opinions until something's actually finished and on the market to be trialled, to avoid saying stupid things and making a fool of themselves.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:54 am

lolz

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:46 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
OriginalJambo wrote:With that said I'm pretty sure the sounds are derived from either the Fantom or RS (Juno-D) engine. It might be worth asking yourself if you're a fan of Roland's more recent workstations.
No. If it was based on a ROMpler engine it would have much more polyphony. This is why people should hold off on their opinions until something's actually finished and on the market to be trialled, to avoid saying stupid things and making a fool of themselves.
Its stated to have 64-voice polyphony, which is pretty high for a VA at that price point but on the low end for current ROMplers. (and IMO a waste for a synth that is only bitimbral)

loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Post by loungedumore » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:09 am

Just the facts :
" Sound Generaor Section
Virtual analog synthesizer sound generator (Number of part: 1)
(Oscillator + Filter + Amp + Envelopes + LFO) x 3

PCM sound generator (Number of parts: 15) " - from the Roland's site .

Just an opinion :
I'm assuming the PCM section is a Drum map bank/preset ...or a typo ?

There are a few demo videos of it if you want to check out the sound (warning very Infomercial ) .
That being said I didn't see a unison switch or unison detune knob just a mono button ,but As Stab said it's to early to tell ...as it's not out yet or possibly finished so who knows .

I dig the layout / workflow though and always a sucker for 37 keys
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:51 pm

Sonic State demo coming soon. Nick says it's a pre-production model, though.
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:04 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:No. If it was based on a ROMpler engine it would have much more polyphony. This is why people should hold off on their opinions until something's actually finished and on the market to be trialled, to avoid saying stupid things and making a fool of themselves.
c**p, I had the Lucina in my head after watching that ridiculous video. Forgot about this other new product. :oops:

The Roland SH-01 looks to me like an update of the 201 though. Maybe it'll have a completely new engine, who knows. Whatever happens I think the price of the SH-201 is gonna drop like a stone (like it hasn't already!).

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:49 pm

http://www.rolandus.com/products/produc ... uctId=1074

The demo sounds like a Roland MC505, not much has changed. Demos need to be more than generic house muzak, in my opinion.
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:02 pm

the patch parameter list matches the SH-201 pretty closely. i'm curious if they improved the SH VA engine. if so, i might consider upgrading my 201 to the 01. i definitely like the smaller form factor. it looks like the same cheap a*s shitty construction though, which is a shame.

CfNorENa
Gear: SEM | SH-2 | Prophet 5 | MKS-70 | Microwave XTk | Kronos || AD 202 | El Capistan | DP/4 | Eclipse | Rumour | PCM90

Post by CfNorENa » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:40 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:This is why people should hold off on their opinions until something's actually finished and on the market to be trialled, to avoid saying stupid things and making a fool of themselves.
Not exactly the tone we should expect from a VSE moderator.

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:02 am

CfNorENa wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:This is why people should hold off on their opinions until something's actually finished and on the market to be trialled, to avoid saying stupid things and making a fool of themselves.
Not exactly the tone we should expect from a VSE moderator.
Perhaps not, but he's not posting in "Mod" form here.

He's also spot-on.

Until I get more info and some hands-on time, I will reserve judgement either way. For now, my only comment is that it should be blue!
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

CfNorENa
Gear: SEM | SH-2 | Prophet 5 | MKS-70 | Microwave XTk | Kronos || AD 202 | El Capistan | DP/4 | Eclipse | Rumour | PCM90

Post by CfNorENa » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:15 am

Blue Monster 65 wrote:Perhaps not, but he's not posting in "Mod" form here.
Fair enough.

Stab, feel free to ignore my soapbox, holier-than-thou commentary. :oops:

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:02 am

No worries. :thumbleft:

Just for future reference any official mod posts have the fancy mod colour scheme going on. I'm only a mod for Sound Production so I rarely have a need to use my mod powers, apart from removing spam and occasionally giving AG a one hour ban just cause he looked at me funny. :D

I stand by my comment on the stupidity of discussing the imagined merits of products which aren't even in production yet though. Roland themselves say "specifications subject to change" cause they're that early on in the process of making this, so how is it that people already have opinions that are so fully formed that they can argue about it on the internet?