Roland SH01

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
ERIC31
Gear: .

Re: Roland SH01

Post by ERIC31 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:20 pm

Played one at GC yesterday. It sounds fine but it was incredible how cheap and toy-like it felt! Why didn't they make it out of aluminum or something? One drop going up some stairs to a gig and that's all she wrote. I certainly wouldn't tour with this thing. I see it as having zero durability and should stay at home. For $700 it really should be much more solid and built out of something way more substantial.
http://www.oldmanarmy.com
http://www.electrogarden.com
Synth Wish List: Alesis Micron, Novation Xiosynth 49

alspacka

Post by alspacka » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:46 pm

I'm pretty sure I could write my own VST that sounds better than this plastic piece of c**p.

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by braincandy » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:56 pm

alspacka wrote:I'm pretty sure I could write my own VST that sounds better than this plastic piece of c**p.
Ok, do it.
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:58 pm

and if you can manage to pull it off, let me try the beta ;)
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

alspacka

Post by alspacka » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:25 pm

I know, right? Ain't gonna be easy toppin' that awesome SH01 supersaw.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:44 am

No seriously, get off the internet and do it.

MPS
Band: Atomic Shadow

Post by MPS » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:02 pm

I recorded three things using the SH01 Gaia all by itself. You can hear them at my Atomic Shadow page here...

http://atomicshadow.bandcamp.com/
http://www.atomicshadow.com/

A wall of dusty old junk, synths, and effects. Broadcasting live, from yesterday's world of tomorrow.

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:10 am

Nice work, MPS.

I spent some time with the SH-01 this weekend myself (as did a friend of mine). We came to the same conclusions: very nice (read: polite) sound, tactile layout, and just fun to buzz around on. I still think the price point is too high for me, but with the features it has, it's quite reasonable. In no time at all, I was pulling some sounds quite reminiscent of my old JP6 with no trouble at all. It is VERY lightweight and the build quality wasn't up to my standards, but it's really no worse than many others in its price range (or below).

Will I be buying it? No, but I can see it doing well enough for itself and those who do pick on up and put it through its paces (ala MPS above), should enjoy it quite a bit. I look forward to hearing what those people do.
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

MPS
Band: Atomic Shadow

Post by MPS » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:03 pm

I don't think that any synth is really designed to survive a fall down a stair (see above). The plastic casing is fine and should survive gigging OK if you use a padded bag or case and don't do anything stupid to it. This is key with all gear. Never do anything stupid with you gear kids.

The oscillators do alias in the very upper registers. Not sure that will be a problem for what I am going to use it for. The layout is simple and very logical and I think that Roland has managed to cram in quite a lot for the money.

I have three pieces up on my Bandcamp page that are all Gaia. Join me at my FB page and you will get updates when I start making some videos and some live webcasts that I plan in the future.
http://www.atomicshadow.com/

A wall of dusty old junk, synths, and effects. Broadcasting live, from yesterday's world of tomorrow.

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:12 pm

MPS wrote:I don't think that any synth is really designed to survive a fall down a stair ...
Huh! And here I thought that's what you did for those pieces, MPS! :lol:

Naw - as I said, I'm looking forward to hearing what you do with the GAIA ... erm ... SH-01. While I wasn't crazy about it for myself, I'm sure (especially given your examples), some people will really put the screws to it and get some cool stuff out of it. I'll check back to see when you've posted more on your page.

It is easy to navigate around, isn't it? If you have a chance, would you please see if you can mimic some sounds of the JP-4? I didn't get to get that specific with it. Thanks!
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

Mr Knesh
Gear: DP/4+ because in order to dive in deep, you have to DP.

Post by Mr Knesh » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:56 am

MPS wrote:I recorded three things using the SH01 Gaia all by itself. You can hear them at my Atomic Shadow page here...

http://atomicshadow.bandcamp.com/

I really enjoyed this piece. Thanks for posting.