Roland SH01

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Mr Knesh
Gear: DP/4+ because in order to dive in deep, you have to DP.

Post by Mr Knesh » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:08 am

balma wrote:$750:

waldorf blofeld + beers

Waldorf Microwave + beers

Yamaha EX5

DSI Tetra

Korg MS 2000 + other choice

Alesis ION + beers

MC 909 + beers
JP8000 on ebay =/= new price of the JP8000

Do you remember how much they were charging for the JP8000 when it was new? How about the MicroQ, or Microwave?

Hfinn is completely right. You are comparing completely different products, and completely different conditioned products. It is far too early to be making judgments about a product that you haven't even touched yet.
Last edited by Mr Knesh on Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

boxed

Re: Roland SH01

Post by boxed » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:07 am

Phollop Willing PA wrote:Sonic State Review:

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2010/03/ ... th-review/
Aliasing in a 2010 synthesizer? I'd expect that from cheap synthedit plugins not a big product from Roland.

boxed

Post by boxed » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:09 am

balma wrote:$750:

waldorf blofeld + beers

Waldorf Microwave + beers

Yamaha EX5

DSI Tetra

Korg MS 2000 + other choice

Alesis ION + beers

MC 909 + beers

I can keep on listing deals under or equal $800 that sound or look better than getting the Gaia, this stuff must make my breakfast in order to consider it a reliable investment, because it does not offer anything attractive. .

I must admit I like a lot the combination of sliders-knobs, it 's provided with lots of controllers.
Well at least make like for like comparisons with actual retail prices. Not old used up gear. A Virus TI keyboard will cost you well over a grand.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:26 pm

I gave the opinion based on my taste and other products for similar or lower price. And I consider myself as a customer of these labels.

Unless Roland applies an extreme change of priorities on their last products, I reiterate the new SH01 must also be able to cook my morning's breakfast in order to be considered as the more reliable investment.

OK: SH01 is VA wich has 64 polyphony. I wonder how does operate, and if the engine is actually good. Because polyphony's relevance can variate from synth to synth, and how much poly do we need on a synth is related with how good is the sound on it. Some requires you to layer multiple sounds in order to obtain interesting sounds.

An example is an EMU command station. It has 128 polyphony. But that polyphony can be eaten entirely on 4-8 notes, when creating sounds with 12 layers, 12 order filters and adding chorus to some instruments.
And the result is not better than the fat sounds that I can create on a JP8080. And the JP8080 has ten poly.

It has 5 effects. wich is cool and I suppose poly dies there.

And yes, most of synth's prices will go down after some time. Maybe I'll take a look on it when it costs $350.... :)

boxed wrote:Aliasing in a 2010 synthesizer? I'd expect that from cheap synthedit plugins not a big product from Roland.
if you were owner of one of the latest Roland "big" synths, actually you would be expecting alliasing on this one :D
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

Mr Knesh
Gear: DP/4+ because in order to dive in deep, you have to DP.

Post by Mr Knesh » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:42 am

balma wrote: And yes, most of synth's prices will go down after some time. Maybe I'll take a look on it when it costs $350.... :)
I was attempting to point out that your comparison of two dissimilar products was, at this time, unjustified. I understand if you feel that the JP8000 or any of the other synths you mentioned would be a better buy, but you can't buy a good number of those new either. Buying used equipment usually means that you are purchasing every defect that the piece of gear has, and there are a large amount of customers that who are willing to pay the price for a new piece of kit that will be free from defects. Which is why I was making the statement that a used Waldorf Microwave is not equal to a new Prophet 08. Simply based on the condition that the synthesizer is in when it is purchased.

As it is unlikely that you have yet played the Gaia, it is too soon to pass judgment on the synthesizer.

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:25 pm

It seems to be around 550-650 euros in Europe.

On a positive note, that thing seems to be relatively feature-rich for the price. Over the last decade, you just got the impression that the manufacturers used to keep the features rather minimal on their cheaper units so that they could sell the more expensive ones as well. Given the processing power available today, there should be no reason why digital synths in this price range couldn't have the same amount of features as this thing has. Leaving out the display in favour of a knob / slider -per-function -design is the preferred way to go as well.

As for the first impressions on the sound... oh well.

Primal Drive

Post by Primal Drive » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:20 pm

I seriously hope they've improved the synth engine considerably from the sh201. I like the implementation of 3 lfo, osc, filter, amp synths per voice. I'm not too concerned if it has a flimsy plastic build since I can play it with one of my controllers.

What I don't understand is why they included a bank of GM sounds. WTF??? Is this board really geared towards the never-touched-a-musical-keyboard-in-my-life first time user? That kind of leaves me with a bad feeling.

It's like getting a chubster for a hawt babe, then to be freaked out by her rotten dog tooth smile. :shock:
And then she said, "What the f...?"

boxed

Post by boxed » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:24 am

New video

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:47 pm

What's up with all the cheesey effects
Moog LP + Casio SK1 and MT-75 + tube amp = good tone.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:53 pm

I do not want to
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:53 am

I sort of liked the hipass pad there, but the rest of the sounds in that demo, meh.

Don Solaris
Gear: I got almost everything you would ever want.

Post by Don Solaris » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:21 am

balma wrote:OK: SH01 is VA wich has 64 polyphony.
It appears to be a rompler though, not a VA.

People reported hearing sampled waveforms. I'm still waiting this to be confirmed. But i wouldn't be surprised.

Zarith
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Brek Zarith

Post by Zarith » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:07 pm

Don Solaris wrote:

People reported hearing sampled waveforms. I'm still waiting this to be confirmed. But i wouldn't be surprised.
The answer is clearly written everywhere Don. It's a VA, just like the SH201 or the JP8000. Whether it's a good or bad one is another question...

calyx93
Gear: PPG Wave 2.2, μWave (x2), Roland JP6+V-Synth+S-220, SCI P5+600, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K-3+K-3m, ARP Odyssey+Omni2, Emulator II+HD, Ensoniq Mirage.

Post by calyx93 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:45 pm

Zarith wrote:
Don Solaris wrote:

The answer is clearly written everywhere Don. It's a VA, just like the SH201 or the JP8000. Whether it's a good or bad one is another question...
It's being reported that the oscillators and synth engine behave just like the SH32 - engaging sync removes any filtering capability, makes the patch monophonic and disables oscillator wave choices along with PWM.

Does this sound like a proper VA to you? Remember, the SH32 was 32 note polyphonic. This just may be the same engine, spiffed-up, doubled-up and dropped into a shiny new package.
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud

polyklinik
Gear: VCO, VCF, THC, LSD

Post by polyklinik » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:49 pm

Don Solaris wrote:

:D :D

Which people reported? From the AAA (Anti-Aliasing Agency) :)