Help with synth spotting (Gus Gus)

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
User avatar
JJQ
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 432
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: Malmo, east-side

Help with synth spotting (Gus Gus)

Post by JJQ » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:39 am

I totaly forgot about this, even if I have the 12'



Can I get some help with some synthspotting??

When I heard them live(many years ago) all synths where covered in white sheets.
Gear: Minimoog, Mother-32, Roland MC-202, TB-303, (Boss) DR-110, TR-505, TR-808, Alpha Juno 2, Jupiter-8, Oberheim SEM, .com/oakley/moon/mos-lab/STG/Sputnik/MegaOhm-modular & Microbrute

User avatar
Villi
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 345
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:02 pm
Gear: Yamaha RS7000 & DX200, Quasimidi Sirius, Casio CZ5000
Location: Norway

Re: Help with synth spotting (Gus Gus)

Post by Villi » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:47 am

One of them looks like a SH-2 at least.

User avatar
JJQ
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 432
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: Malmo, east-side

Re: Help with synth spotting (Gus Gus)

Post by JJQ » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:02 am

Yes, looks like one.

And perhaps its a CS-30 on top in the bakground...
Gear: Minimoog, Mother-32, Roland MC-202, TB-303, (Boss) DR-110, TR-505, TR-808, Alpha Juno 2, Jupiter-8, Oberheim SEM, .com/oakley/moon/mos-lab/STG/Sputnik/MegaOhm-modular & Microbrute

Scories
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 617
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:57 pm
Gear: Micromoog, JX-3P, Minikorg 700, Z1
Location: Québec - CANADA
Contact:

Re: Help with synth spotting (Gus Gus)

Post by Scories » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:39 am

Their first album was like a varied demo and it was really cool to listen.

I saw them live at the Sonar in Montréal a few years ago, when drum & bass was always playing before hip shows (I think I miss those times). They were in tour for their 2nd album. The sound system was incredible, the music was passing through our bodies like butter... don't know how to describe it, I never heard such a good sound in a show in my life.
Anyway, I remember they had a black Roland synth that could have been a sh-1/2/9.

User avatar
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3503
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 3:08 am
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape
Location: Docking Bay 94 (Dallas, TX)
Contact:

Re: Help with synth spotting (Gus Gus)

Post by Z » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:49 am

Grey SH-101 underneath the CS-30

TR-808, 909 and possibly a 505 in there, too.

Scories
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 617
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:57 pm
Gear: Micromoog, JX-3P, Minikorg 700, Z1
Location: Québec - CANADA
Contact:

Re: Help with synth spotting (Gus Gus)

Post by Scories » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:38 am

Quote for the review page of the Jen SX1000 users on Sonicstate:

" I'm a member of a group called gusgus and between us we have 2x yamaha cs-30, 2x sh-101, 2x juno106, 2x juno2, a prophet vs, memorymoog, minimoog, arp odyssey 2800, arp 2600, arp axxe, 20 module doepher , korg ms-10, korg ms-20, korg trident mkII, korg delta, korg wavestation+wavest. ad, yamaha cs-10, yamaha dx-5 + dx-7, 2x roland jupiter4, akai ax60, korg m1r, emu emax, emu e4x, akai s3000 and countless other gear (synths i forgot + sound processors and the lot - we even have an ssl desk) and we have a jen SX1000! i would not put any other piece of gear before it (and not after it for that matter) but the 0 marks this great piece of gear is getting and the bad remarks people have been saying about it hurt me. when i read them i got a sting in my heart that only this little posting could cure. this synth shines at it's own game and that is a very fun game. a game all of us in gusgus love to play. it puts smiles in our hearts to hear this synth. if you want a minimoog bass get one but the minimoog can't do the same bass as the jen. the jen has a certain roughness to it's caracter which i think i have only found on korg ms synths. don't post negative things about this synth just because YOU don't like it. post positive things on the synths you like. my jen is fitted with a kenton cv/gate/filter mod and it will never leave my studio. i am interested in the audio in mod if someone can point me in the right direction. thank you, herb legowitz"

http://www.sonicstate.com/synth_reviews ... 0.cfm?p=26

User avatar
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3962
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:22 am
Real name: Marc Doty
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial
Location: Tacoma
Contact:

Re: Help with synth spotting (Gus Gus)

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:18 am

The next video demo I release will be about the Jen SX-1000. While it is fun and cheap, this person is an idiot. The unique functions the SX is capable of are not worth decrying a Mini over. Yes, ADSRs are nice. Yes, PWM is great. Still.

They wouldn't put any piece of gear before it?
Uh, yeah. I would put a lot of pieces of gear before it. It's not worthless, and it's probably better than a lot of people indicate on the internet, but jeez. It doesn't have a great sound, it doesn't have overly-unique functionality, it's missing some stuff you probably want, and an MG-1 blows it away. Putting this on par with a Minimoog is like putting a Yugo on par with a Mustang.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

nvbrkr
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 812
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:14 pm
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Re: Help with synth spotting (Gus Gus)

Post by nvbrkr » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:11 pm

It's just rather typical for the contemporary mindset to value some modest item over your more valuable possessions. Usually the sonic character of the item just resonates with the owner and he finds the design attractive for a personal reason. Out of all my distortion devices, I'm most fond of my Marshall DRP-1. It's a crude, analog amp simulator from the early-90s that most have forgotten about. Despite having also an Ampeg Scrambler, H&K Tubeman, T-Rex stuff and various vintage fuzzes, it's the DRP-1 that's truly the s**t to me.

Recall one of the most famous scenes from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Indy is forced to make a choice between various chalices at the end - one of them is supposedly the Holy Grail. Drinking water from the wrong ones will result in an immediate death, whereas the right one provides immortality. The room is filled with exquisite chalices ornamented with jewels and gold, yet Indy picks up a very modest-looking one from the bunch. According to the Bible, Jesus was a carpenter and Indy is smart enough to realize Jesus couldn't have had anything more luxurious. Indy is able to avoid death by drinking water from the right one and proves to the audience what an awesome Christian he is.

Scories
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 617
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:57 pm
Gear: Micromoog, JX-3P, Minikorg 700, Z1
Location: Québec - CANADA
Contact:

Re: Help with synth spotting (Gus Gus)

Post by Scories » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:24 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:The next video demo I release will be about the Jen SX-1000. While it is fun and cheap, this person is an idiot. [...] Putting this on par with a Minimoog is like putting a Yugo on par with a Mustang.
Now that's s synth elitist statement!

I have never tried a Jen synth but I would certainly not consider Herb Legowitz [a talented artist btw] an idiot in any ways, even if he prefered a triangle over a VCS3. Au contraire.

Asside the monetary factor, I would choose a Dacia over a Mustang.. and my legs over any car. But maybe I'm dumb too.. :?

User avatar
hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1197
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:21 pm
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie
Location: Boston
Contact:

Re: Help with synth spotting (Gus Gus)

Post by hfinn » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:08 pm

I have to agree, the man has his opinion and you have yours. Doesn't make him an idiot. Brian Eno prefers a Korg M-500 over an ARP 2600, does that make him an idiot?

User avatar
SleepingInsomniac
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:36 pm
Location: The cave of the unholy one

Re: Help with synth spotting (Gus Gus)

Post by SleepingInsomniac » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:54 pm

i can see the 101, tbh i forgot i was looking for synth's, i became fascinated by her hehe :2cool:
great song btw
SH 101 MC 505 D 110 MS 2000BR EA 1 ER 1 ORBIT 9090 V2 NORD LEAD 3 S1000 BASS STATION PRODIGY

User avatar
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3962
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:22 am
Real name: Marc Doty
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial
Location: Tacoma
Contact:

Re: Help with synth spotting (Gus Gus)

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:20 pm

Scories wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote:The next video demo I release will be about the Jen SX-1000. While it is fun and cheap, this person is an idiot. [...] Putting this on par with a Minimoog is like putting a Yugo on par with a Mustang.
Now that's s synth elitist statement!

I have never tried a Jen synth but I would certainly not consider Herb Legowitz [a talented artist btw] an idiot in any ways, even if he prefered a triangle over a VCS3. Au contraire.

Asside the monetary factor, I would choose a Dacia over a Mustang.. and my legs over any car. But maybe I'm dumb too.. :?
My statement has absolutely nothing to do with elitism, and that persistent notion is ridiculous.
First of all, before you call me an elitist, I would like to encourage you to watch my videos. If you'll notice, many of them are low-end synths which I bend over backwards to show you how capable they are. I personally would take an MG-1 over 90% of the s**t people crow on and on about. I have, for years, stated that the Micromoog blows away most non-Minimoog Moogs. So, before you start waving around moralistic words like "elitist," perhaps you should review the facts.
Specifically, my statement was made as a person who has owned the synths in question, used them extensively, and then gone on to make videos about them which have (or will) likely been the most watched videos about those particular synths. If defining which synths are excellent in both sound and functionality is "elitist," so be it.
The SX-1000 was a disappointing synth... not because of some bullshit elitism, not because I have some musical style which it didn't work for, and not because I'm some moronic trend-jumper. It was disappointing because it's sound and functionality don't compare well against synths in its price range, let alone synths which the artists you know, love, and respect use and worship.
I don't put the opinion or view of ANY artist as unquestionable until it is effectively defended. Someone's fame isn't a justification for their viewpoint, or all of you would have to submit and just find a way to buy the big expensive synths, because that's what most of the artists you worship swear by.
All of that being said, I shouldn't have called him an idiot. I retract that, and instead say: I think his viewpoint is extreme and unsupportable. While people do bash the SX unfairly, his defense of it was a bit over the top.

hfinn wrote:I have to agree, the man has his opinion and you have yours. Doesn't make him an idiot. Brian Eno prefers a Korg M-500 over an ARP 2600, does that make him an idiot?
Oh, come on, Heath. There's a reason why you've had every incredible (and incredibly expensive) synth ever made, and while I won't insult you (ala Scories) by suggesting you're an elitist, I will state that you're a skilled person with discerning taste.
Would you put an M-500 over an ARP 2600? Are you an idiot because you wouldn't do what Eno does?

Most of all, I would encourage anyone to buy an SX and see if you agree with Herb's glowing review.

P.S. I have no idea what a Dacia is.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

User avatar
hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1197
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:21 pm
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie
Location: Boston
Contact:

Re: Help with synth spotting (Gus Gus)

Post by hfinn » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:54 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
hfinn wrote:I have to agree, the man has his opinion and you have yours. Doesn't make him an idiot. Brian Eno prefers a Korg M-500 over an ARP 2600, does that make him an idiot?
Oh, come on, Heath. There's a reason why you've had every incredible (and incredibly expensive) synth ever made, and while I won't insult you (ala Scories) by suggesting you're an elitist, I will state that you're a skilled person with discerning taste.
Would you put an M-500 over an ARP 2600? Are you an idiot because you wouldn't do what Eno does?
For certain things I would. I have had lots of expensive and rare synths (and cheap inexpensive ones) but thats not even the issue. I'm just saying I wouldn't call anyone an idiot because they prefer one synth over another.

User avatar
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3962
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:22 am
Real name: Marc Doty
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial
Location: Tacoma
Contact:

Re: Help with synth spotting (Gus Gus)

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:48 pm

hfinn wrote:For certain things I would. I have had lots of expensive and rare synths (and cheap inexpensive ones) but thats not even the issue. I'm just saying I wouldn't call anyone an idiot because they prefer one synth over another.
The point of me bringing up your synths is that undoubtedly you understand why the expensive ones are expensive. With a few exceptions which are based in trend/genre-based-hype, wouldn't you say the most famous (and unfortunately expensive) synths earned their designation from great sound and functionality?

This sort of thing irks me personally because this weird "defend the underdog!" thing goes to ridiculous extremes. It's like it evokes a response in people similar to that of someone who witnesses a hate crime... like somehow, the SX-1000's rights have been violated by people's complaint of its limitations. It's all part of this weird and stupid class-warfare mindset which has developed since analog started getting more expensive.

While nearly every synth has at least some merit, the fact that it has some merit doesn't mean that it should be defended as being the ultimate. I can list off everything that will irritate the s**t out of any moderately experienced synth player in regard to the SX, and I think everyone who had ever played one would probably nod as they were reading them. Have you had one, Heath?

"I suppose i see myself as witty, urbane, highly talented, hugely successful and with a keen sense of style plus of course my own special brand of modesty"
If anyone knows Herb, I'd gladly interview him about this on YouTube. :)
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

User avatar
hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1197
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:21 pm
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie
Location: Boston
Contact:

Re: Help with synth spotting (Gus Gus)

Post by hfinn » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:21 pm

Again, it has nothing to do with defending the underdog. It has more to do with someone insulting someone else because they have an opinion that might differ from the norm.

Post Reply