Page 1 of 2

Hans Zimmer's score to Days of Thunder setup?

Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:05 pm
by philip



Drums,synth,fx-maby someone heard something? I know that now he does use some shity stuff,nothing that could posibly be compared with Days of Thunder or Rainman sound.

Re: Hans Zimmer's score to Days of Thunder setup?

Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:43 pm
by Micke
Zimmer has owned pretty much everything you could think of as fas as synths are concerned, so it's hard
to tell what specific synths made it onto that score.
Anyways, I know that he was very into the Fairlight CMI III at the time so I'd say there's a fair chance
it was part of the setup.

Here's a list of some of the gear I know that he owned/used at the time (late '80s/early '90s):

Fairlight CMI III **
Roland system 700 modular (Zimmer: "It's pretty much on every movie that I ever did in England such as 'Thelma and Louise').
Roland system 100M (Zimmer: "I think it has over 170 modules!!! Roland were clearing out the warehouse at $25.00 a module - so how could I say no?!)
Roland MKS-80 **
Roland D-50
Yamaha DX-1 & TX-816 **
Yamaha CS-80 (Zimmer: "I've used it on anything from "Rainman", to period movies like "Gladiator" and "The Thin Red Line". On "Black Hawk Down"...)
Moog modular (heavily expanded) **
Polyfusion modular
Memorymoog
Oberheim Xpander **
E-mu modular **
Akai S1000 (he had a bunch of these)
Linn 9000
RSF kobol rack expanders (eg on The Last Emperor OST)
Roland JD-800 (early '90s onwards)
Yamaha GX-1 (Zimmer bought it from Keith Emerson)

and remember that this is just a partial list.


** these instruments are listed in the CD liner notes to the Paperhouse soundtrack (1989)

Re: Hans Zimmer's score to Days of Thunder setup?

Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:49 pm
by philip
Interesting, no FM..?? I thoght there would be some DX's..

Re: Hans Zimmer's score to Days of Thunder setup?

Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:58 pm
by Micke
Well, he did have a DX-1 and TX-816 (which he used on the Paperhouse OST which was recorded the year before)
so he may have used those on Days Of Thunder as well.

I just listened to the score again and have to say it's pretty 'kew'l indeed, it's a lot more "synthy" than I remembered
it to be.

Re: Hans Zimmer's score to Days of Thunder setup?

Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:05 pm
by Z
Micke wrote: Roland system 100M (Zimmer: "I think it has over 170 modules!!! Roland were clearing out the warehouse at $25.00 a module - so how could I say no?!)
$25 a module! Day-um!

Re: Hans Zimmer's score to Days of Thunder setup?

Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:44 am
by iProg
Micke wrote:Well, he did have a DX-1 and TX-816 (which he used on the Paperhouse OST which was recorded the year before)
so he may have used those on Days Of Thunder as well.

I just listened to the score again and have to say it's pretty 'kew'l indeed, it's a lot more "synthy" than I remembered
it to be.
So he bought the GX-1 from Keith? That explains a lot...:D

Re: Hans Zimmer's score to Days of Thunder setup?

Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:05 am
by philip
Who is Keith?

Re: Hans Zimmer's score to Days of Thunder setup?

Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:18 pm
by iProg
philip wrote:Who is Keith?
Keith Emerson of The Nice and Emerson, Lake and Palmer. One of the keyboard virtousos of the 1970's.

Re: Hans Zimmer's score to Days of Thunder setup?

Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:58 pm
by calyx93
Z wrote:
Micke wrote: Roland system 100M (Zimmer: "I think it has over 170 modules!!! Roland were clearing out the warehouse at $25.00 a module - so how could I say no?!)
$25 a module! Day-um!
I just about fainted over that one!

Re: Hans Zimmer's score to Days of Thunder setup?

Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:07 pm
by philip
iProg wrote:
philip wrote:Who is Keith?
Keith Emerson of The Nice and Emerson, Lake and Palmer. One of the keyboard virtousos of the 1970's.

clear!

Re: Hans Zimmer's score to Days of Thunder setup?

Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:45 am
by Micke
iProg wrote:
Micke wrote:Well, he did have a DX-1 and TX-816 (which he used on the Paperhouse OST which was recorded the year before)
so he may have used those on Days Of Thunder as well.

I just listened to the score again and have to say it's pretty 'kew'l indeed, it's a lot more "synthy" than I remembered
it to be.
So he bought the GX-1 from Keith? That explains a lot...:D
Correct, and Keith in turn bought one of his GX-1's from John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin. I'm not sure
when Zimmer bought it from Keith but I'd guess sometime in the late '80s or early '90s. In any case, Keith
was still using his GX-1 by late '86 with Emerson, Lake and Powell.

Re: Hans Zimmer's score to Days of Thunder setup?

Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:38 pm
by philip
Micke wrote:
iProg wrote:
Micke wrote: Correct, and Keith in turn bought one of his GX-1's from John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin.
So, is this the same GX that been used by Benny Andersson?

Re: Hans Zimmer's score to Days of Thunder setup?

Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:23 pm
by Micke
Nope, Benny had his own GX-1.

Re: Hans Zimmer's score to Days of Thunder setup?

Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:28 pm
by iProg
Micke wrote:Nope, Benny had his own GX-1.
It now belongs to Peter Grönwall if I'm not mistaken?

Re: Hans Zimmer's score to Days of Thunder setup?

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:16 pm
by LoboLives
Micke wrote:Zimmer has owned pretty much everything you could think of as fas as synths are concerned, so it's hard
to tell what specific synths made it onto that score.
Anyways, I know that he was very into the Fairlight CMI III at the time so I'd say there's a fair chance
it was part of the setup.

Here's a list of some of the gear I know that he owned/used at the time (late '80s/early '90s):

Fairlight CMI III **
Roland system 700 modular (Zimmer: "It's pretty much on every movie that I ever did in England such as 'Thelma and Louise').
Roland system 100M (Zimmer: "I think it has over 170 modules!!! Roland were clearing out the warehouse at $25.00 a module - so how could I say no?!)
Roland MKS-80 **
Roland D-50
Yamaha DX-1 & TX-816 **
Yamaha CS-80 (Zimmer: "I've used it on anything from "Rainman", to period movies like "Gladiator" and "The Thin Red Line". On "Black Hawk Down"...)
Moog modular (heavily expanded) **
Polyfusion modular
Memorymoog
Oberheim Xpander **
E-mu modular **
Akai S1000 (he had a bunch of these)
Linn 9000
RSF kobol rack expanders (eg on The Last Emperor OST)
Roland JD-800 (early '90s onwards)
Yamaha GX-1 (Zimmer bought it from Keith Emerson)

and remember that this is just a partial list.


** these instruments are listed in the CD liner notes to the Paperhouse soundtrack (1989)
Any idea what he used on Black Rain?