How often have you accidentally erased a "good" program ?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
KBD_TRACKER

How often have you accidentally erased a "good" program ?

Post by KBD_TRACKER » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:29 am

an example : on the micron you can program a pattern through the sequencer, and then insert it in a set up.
weeks latter you find this pattern, and feel it is quite weak.... you forgot you used it in a set up (where it worked great, btw) and so to spare storage space or do some cleaning you delete that pattern... and of course with time you realize that the setup has been amputated of that pattern.
(unless you wrote it down, in the micron looking at a pattern there is no way to know if that pattern is used in a set up).

that's my story.
do you have stories where you lost (or erased) accidentally a synth program ???

how easy it is on your synth to have this kind of accidental erasure ??

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Re: How often have you accidentally erased a "good" program

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:09 am

Never, that's the advantage of having all the knobs right there to set up on the spot ;)
On the MicroKorg, it's hard to save sometimes and I messed up the mod wheel function on my favorite (and pretty much only used) patch. I have had patterns in my TOM erase due to a poor battery connection. And I have deleted patterns I like on my DrumTraks that I like without listening the full way through. The limits of memory =/ I try keeping hard list of all the patterns I like and I use a patch sheet for the pro one. I'd suggest going through every sound and writing down what you like and more or less erasing what you don't. It can take a while, but it is worth it.
bonne chance

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:22 am

... what are these "programs" you are talking about? ;)

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:00 pm

It's funny, but while I knew how to program a Juno 106 really well, when the ESQ-1 came out, the digital and parametric programming was confusing to me. As such, I was not a very good ESQ programmer, and tended to make minor tweaks to the sounds which existed in EPROMs. Once, I sort of stumbled into this fantastic percussion sound which sounded to me a bit like the Linn Drum clap Prince so often used. I had just been sort of randomly changing parameters, and it came out. I was totally thrilled, and used it in a bunch of songs.
Unfortunately, I also knew relatively little about the frailty of floppy disks. I had bought a fancy Alesis floppy drive device to back up my ESQ sounds and sequences because the tape method took ages and was not at all reliable (anyone remember backing up to tape? [insert static noise here]). I had disks and one had everything, and one had some stuff. Of course, one day, I popped the disk with everything in, and the drive said it was unreadable.
The good news is, I was able to recover everything due to what was on the other disk, and what I had backed up to tape before.
The bad news is, I lost one song, and that danged percussion noise. I spent months trying to recreate it, but couldn't do it. It was absolutely maddening.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

colmon

Post by colmon » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:29 pm

man sometimes that's just the price you gotta pay for serendipity

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:57 pm

Now that you talked about Ensoniq and its EPROMS , one thing that I hate from the Fizmo, is that is so easy to screw it with a patch you are programming, because you move any knob, and there is no way to find out wich was the original knob position. On some synths, an asterisc on the screen or a light on the knob appears when you modify a parameter, and when you come back to the original back , the light or asterisc are gone.

The command station also has a defect that makes you erase your stuff from time to time. There is no way to audition the patch you are about to overwrite.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:30 pm

I lost a stack of patch sheets for my Yamaha CS-50 when I moved. Does that count?

aXL
Gear: Moog LP Stage II, Ensoniq ESQ-1, Nord Electro 3, Roland JP-8080, Akai SynthStation 49, numerous softies...
Band: Nemesis Kane

Post by aXL » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:45 pm

I had an EPROM cart for my ESQ-1 that I lost on the bus. That was heart-shattering.
Sir Nose wrote:It's like sex with or without a condom. You know which choice is gonna feel better, but it's not always a wise choice.
Disciples of the new wave, portaits in the sand...

Scories
Gear: Micromoog, JX-3P, Minikorg 700, Z1

Post by Scories » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:07 pm

I guess that it happens from times to times to everybody. With a Z1 and a XT, you have to be careful.

I had a friend who was composing Eno-like ambient with a Kawai synth. About 15 years ago, his brother erased all his patches at once by mistake (probably a factory reset). He told me that he felt like a painter who lost all his colors. Poor guy.. a few years later, him and his band lost their recordings after a major Windows 95 crash. Now there's no more band and he's not into music anymore.. He was very talented and the band was excellent. *sigh*.

That reminds me that I should really get myself a memory card for my Z1 as I could easily loose a dozen years of work.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:28 am

aXL wrote:I had an EPROM cart for my ESQ-1 that I lost on the bus. That was heart-shattering.
That is heart-shattering... and would have been moreso the closer you got to when you could buy them. As I recall, they were horribly expensive.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

moremagic
Gear: electribe er-1, sp-303, sp-404sx, s612, nuo 2, sl-1200 mk ii, beatstep, eurorack, tb-03, vx-99

Post by moremagic » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:06 am

balma wrote:Now that you talked about Ensoniq and its EPROMS , one thing that I hate from the Fizmo, is that is so easy to screw it with a patch you are programming, because you move any knob, and there is no way to find out wich was the original knob position. On some synths, an asterisc on the screen or a light on the knob appears when you modify a parameter, and when you come back to the original back , the light or asterisc are gone.
Can you not just turn the knob back and forth until it sounds like the patch originally did? Thats how I get around the Polysix having no Original Parameter LED or what have you

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:08 am

:facepalm:
nvbrkr wrote:... what are these "programs" you are talking about? ;)
:D
bonne chance

jeeroj
Gear: sh-101, x0xb0x(x2), tr-606, korg es-1, half dead mc-303 and some boss micro racks

Post by jeeroj » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:51 am

I have it with patterns on my x0xb0xes, I tried to go thru them all and make a chart so i knew where individual songs are. Unfortunately, my memory is TERRIBLE so although i recognise patterns, I can't put my finger on which patterns are from which tracks. :(
Debut Album out now jeeroj - Selected Acid Works 08-11
check the review HERE first

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:31 am

Not so long ago I programmed a really cool radio type FX patch on the D-50, only to put some random organ over it an hour later...

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:42 am

Lots of times, when using a Soft Editor, I'll be twisting knobs and changing parameters so I'm used to getting the question "Something has changed save blah, blah..."

I've lost an entire soundbank because I didn't recognize what the overwrite was referring to.
I thought it was a particular patch I accidentally edited - and I mindlessly clicked Yes to Delete or disregard changes etc... on exit.

Upon reopen it was back to only the few patches I already saved.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com