How often have you accidentally erased a "good" program ?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: How often have you accidentally erased a "good" program

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:26 pm

Lost about 50 patches on my Evolver once because I actually trusted the librarian software had saved it and didn't double check before I overwrote the entire bank :evil:

Nowadays I do regular backups of all my gear to hard drives and then backup those to more hard drives. Fool me once...
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:30 pm

meatballfulton wrote:Lost about 50 patches on my Evolver once because I actually trusted the librarian software had saved it and didn't double check before I overwrote the entire bank :evil:

Nowadays I do regular backups of all my gear to hard drives and then backup those to more hard drives. Fool me once...
I do the same thing. Redundancy is key to any large system that needs to be relied upon, airplanes & trains, servers, etc.

I back up everything to at least two hard drives and then more important stuff to flash drives.
bonne chance

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:36 pm

Am I the only person who doesn't even bother saving things most of the time?
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:51 pm

tallowwaters wrote:Am I the only person who doesn't even bother saving things most of the time?
You're just the only one who isn't paranoid ;)
bonne chance

devetron

Post by devetron » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:16 pm

I email my sysex dumps to myself when I do backups.

But yeah -- One thing I hate is when I program something I really like and then I can't remember which memory slots are over-writable. I then take a stab at some location and lose another patch that was better. I just need to keep better notes.
synths

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:00 pm

tallowwaters wrote:Am I the only person who doesn't even bother saving things most of the time?
I've saved 2 patches in the last 18 months. Most of our album I just made the patches as we were recording.
KBD_TRACKER wrote:do you have stories where you lost (or erased) accidentally a synth program ???

how easy it is on your synth to have this kind of accidental erasure ??
Every time I touch my modular. Trying to hold onto sounds is pointless, unless you're selling banks of patches you're much better off just making a new patch every time you turn it on.

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:24 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:Every time I touch my modular. Trying to hold onto sounds is pointless, unless you're selling banks of patches you're much better off just making a new patch every time you turn it on.
Sometimes creating sounds or patches on a normal hardwired synth can be predictable at the best of times, but the fun thing i found out when i once owned a doepfer modular system, is the sounds you came across by accident, and trying to recreate the same patch twice never worked. That unpredictability is more fun. Modular owner's need or have to take photos to save a patch. Of course you can make a map of your modular and join up the patch points with different coloured pens and mark knob/switch settings.

I save all my patches/sounds using .syx or use editors that allow you to save banks of patches without the need for an additional librarian program.
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

roon
Gear: Roland MC-808, Alesis Micron, Waldorf Blofeld, Lots of tape.
Band: The Doomsdays

Post by roon » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:31 pm

I've lost a few sounds over the time due to my own sheer stupidity.

Most recently, my laptop went down - hard drive got dead - and I've lost a year worth of programming in patches for Reason. Apparently computers and apple juice do not mix that well. Over 300 programs, some of which were actually really useful and kinda hard to recreate (for me, at least) were gone. Same as my carefully expanded sample library (some of them samples were backed up, fortunatelly). Not to mention losing about 7 songs in progress, 3 of them being almost complete :/ Backups? Who need backups? :/

Before that there was situation with a Line6 POD proccessor. I've had this huuuge simulation programmed - i spent like 5 hours on it, adjusting every knob for like 200 times etc. It was great. Chunky, peavey based sound with a lot of fx on top and all. Really raw and powerfull, sounding somewhere between Pantera and Strapping Young Lad. I was really proud of this sound. So, after I programmed it I jammed for a while, not bothering to save just yet and... power in the house went down. Simulation, of course, went with it. Shame :/

Shreddie
Gear: Alesis Andromeda, Fusion 8HD: ART SGX Nightbass SE: Kawai K5000s: Yamaha A3000 V2, EX7, FS1R, PSS-480 (Don't laugh, it rocks!) and 4 planks.

Post by Shreddie » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:32 pm

I've lost stuff in the past but never worry about that anymore as everything has at least two backups these days... I live amongst a menagerie of zip disks, SD cards, floppies and hard drive caddies.

MIDI_Thru_Kid
Gear: KORG Radias
Roland JX-3P
Roland TR-505
Roland TR-626
Yamaha RX5
Yamaha TX7
hobnox.com
Drum Samples (All of them)
Yamaha Trombone
Band: MIDI Thru

Post by MIDI_Thru_Kid » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:19 am

I loose patches sometimes, it sucks. I don't really loose them that often anymore, though. (knock on wood)

sequentialsoftshock wrote:I do the same thing. Redundancy is key to any large system that needs to be relied upon, airplanes & trains, servers, etc.

I back up everything to at least two hard drives and then more important stuff to flash drives.

I do that, too, when I save stuff (sometimes if I'm not lazy, haha).
-Alex

"What I've noticed about this hobby/career is... You Just Can't Stop."

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:30 am

I used to loose patches on synths that don't have a 'compare' feature. Nowadays on those synths I use patch 99, or bank-patch 8-8 if that's the case, as a scratch location. Then when I'm happy with the result, go find a final location for it to live.

stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Post by stephen » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:46 pm

Accidentally erased a load of nice sounds I made on microkorg once. Did that before I did a backup. I could never remember how to get them back.

That's why I really dig the AN1x. The editor software is superb, even if its just used for backups (dead easy to do). Had to replace my backup battery earlier this week, when I did the backups I took the opportunity to give my patches names other than "Init Normal"...
Stephen(2)

ColorForm2113
Gear: tin cans and rubber bands
Band: Me twiddling in the corner...

Post by ColorForm2113 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:24 pm

Since most of the stuff I have been working on is done with my micromoog and moogerfoogers, I do it everyday just not on accident. But there have been a couple times when I create a new patch on my poly800 and I accidentlly type in the wrong program number and save over something I shouldn't have...that always sucks.

I need to start backing up my sequences to an external hardrive though, im just using my laptop with seq24 freeware. Niether has given me problems yet, but I don't fully trust them.
My modular so far: Q104, Q106, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M (x2 STEREO!)

loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Post by loungedumore » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:27 am

God ... to often . lol :o
When I had the Microwave XT ...well lots of hours down the drain . nuff said :?
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media