Are you an expert on a specific synthesizer?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Are you an expert on a specific synthesizer?

Post by balma » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:00 pm

Have you reached a Master Degree (with or without intention at all) on an specific model of synthesizer?

This could happen even with no intention at all from you. I have seen cases of guys who were not very economically solvent in order to purchase tons of gear, so they were forced to push the limits of the few toys they have.

Or at least, if you do not consider yourself as one of the gurus of the synth, a truly big enthusiast of certain model.

Also, this is a particularity of certain characters. To take those further steps into the synth experience, just for the pure joy of doing it, or for the admiration they have for the design of certain things in the life....
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, DX7, TX7, Juno-106, AX60, Pro One, S1000, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Re: Are you an expert on a specific synthesizer?

Post by Alex E » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:13 pm

If there's one synth I know like the back of my hand it's the JP-8000. I know all of it's nuances and imperfections and I still love it.
soundcloud.com/vectron

Scories
Gear: Micromoog, JX-3P, Minikorg 700, Z1

Post by Scories » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:51 pm

I've been using the Korg Z1 over the the past 12 years. Still learning...

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:38 pm

I've had my Juno 6 for nearly 20 years. We're practically married. It makes me feel old to think that when I bought it, that synth was only a couple of years older than is the iBook on which I'm typing now.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:44 pm

I feel I can work my away around the Pro One, TOM, and DrumTraks pretty damn well.
bonne chance

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:51 pm

I like to think I stick with a short list of hardware synths for that reason, because I couldn't be arsed to buy something else and spend more time to learn it. It's usually the only way to coax the good sounds out of them.

* In the case of the SH-101, it was too damned easy and limited, so I Nova-modded it. That requires studying the schematics, so I know the ins and outs pretty well.
* In the case of the Polivoks, the pitch tracking is non-linear, so if you want to play a lead that is in tune, and not spend 2 hours to get it, you better know how those trimpots work. I also did 3 mods on it, so I'd say I know exactly how f**k up it really is. (And wouldn't have it any other way)
* Dunno about the Jupe. I just play it for fun. :)
* Still learning the Virus after 9 years.

Alpha Juno is just for fun. I wish I understood that TB303 sequencer better. I might actually put it in tracks.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

mis psiquicios y yo

Post by mis psiquicios y yo » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:37 am

Expert, well, kind of, on the Korg MS2000.
mis psiquicos y yo
In electronic music, sequencers are as important as synths, they all modify your composition and playing

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:39 am

I am the unchallengeable master of the Technics SY-1010.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:54 am

Virus TI. there is not a thing I can't do with it... though the new update has set me back a bit in terms of knowing every nuance of it.

juno 106 - so simple its impossible to not have mastered it
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:34 am

nathanscribe wrote:I've had my Juno 6 for nearly 20 years. We're practically married. It makes me feel old to think that when I bought it, that synth was only a couple of years older than is the iBook on which I'm typing now.
I bought my Juno-106 new and for years it was my main synth, so I'm the same way with it. And the past few years, I've had to spend some time in the guts in order to keep it going, so now I'm an expert with it in that way too.

On the other hand, I've also had a JD-800 since it was new, and it still surprises me once in a while.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:38 am

balma wrote:Or at least, if you do not consider yourself as one of the gurus of the synth, a truly big enthusiast of certain model....
Definitely the original V-Synth for me, unfortunately the power supply on mine just blew a couple of weeks ago and I'm already really missing not being able to play it :(
Joey wrote:Virus TI. there is not a thing I can't do with it...
I've always been intrigued by the Ti, it does sound awesome but surely it has it's shortcomings?

Black Tomorrow
Gear: MG-1, V-Synth w/ VC1, Poly800, PSR740, Triton, SHS10, Boss DR770, Stylophone, Hammond M-143, acoustic piano, reed organ, didgeridoo, Garritan library.

Post by Black Tomorrow » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:36 am

My Rogue is a rather simple synth, and I'm often tempted to say that I've completely mastered it. But every time I do, she surprises me with something new. Which is why, despite being my most basic synth, she's my most inspiring one. I still haven't tamed my Polivoks.
You can't synthesize love

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:53 am

The Yamaha RS7000 ;)
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:18 am

cornutt wrote:On the other hand, I've also had a JD-800 since it was new, and it still surprises me once in a while.
I remember buying Music Technology or whatever the magazine was, and seeing the JD previewed dropped my jaw. I couldn't afford one though - I was a student and only had a part-time job. I wanted a generic synth for the band, and was going to get an SY-22, but then the Juno came along at a fifth of the price. I'd still like an SY-22 just because it's the one I almost had. I could probably get an SY-99 for the money now. :D

HH

Post by HH » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:15 am

Juno 60 here too ... quite simple to master and fiddle a sound which you need