Are you an expert on a specific synthesizer?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
computron
Band: Computron

Re: Are you an expert on a specific synthesizer?

Post by computron » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:20 am

The Kawai sx240 sx 210 I know inside and out from programing to repair so I would say Im close to expert on these two :lol:
Living the Electro Life

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:30 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
CS_TBL wrote:..you know..
Yes, we do... but we all agree. You are TRULY the master of that synth. :)
JJQ wrote:And yes, CS-TBL is a master in his domain.
Sniff, sob, and because if these noble confessions of affection 8-) :lol: I've done Airwolf this weekend.. over ten minutes in length, including The Eagle (with solo cello), Moffet's theme, Gabrielle's theme (including her death scene with soaring strings) and of course Airwolf itself. So, more or less the pilot episode. Have to do a few details yet, and then a video. Should be up and running this week though.
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

kraku
Gear: genoQs Machines Nemo
Eurorack modular
Future Retro XS
Novation Supernova 2 Pro Keyboard
Kurzweil PC161
Rode K2
ESP EC-400
Ibanez SR-900
Band: Aflecht / Diesel UFO

Post by kraku » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:34 pm

balma wrote:Have you reached a Master Degree (with or without intention at all) on an specific model of synthesizer?
Nope.
Misspellers of the world, unit!

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:49 am

CS-80 both inside and out.
Synthesizer service tech since 1982.
Synth parts and service, Sydney Australia.

elmosexwhistle
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Band: Elmo Sexwhistle

Post by elmosexwhistle » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:28 pm

i've probably mastered the an1x, using advanced techniques such as:

- applying a very slow and high feedback flanger to certain sounds to make harpischord-like timbres
- using envolopes and filters and grainy effects i've managed to get both melotron string and flute-alike sounds
- using slight pitch/filter envelopes and extensive mod matrix assignment to get arp patterns that play both drums/percussion and bass in the left hand whilst you can solo in the right hand.

all of this happened in the few years i had very little money to buy anything else, it's amazing what you can make from limitations! now i have quite a few synths but have never felt as close to a synth as i did the An1x

mp3 demo here:

http://matrixsynth.blogspot.com/2007/08 ... istle.html

patches are online somewhere lol.

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:15 pm

In my case, the 106 and PolySix are the analogs I've had the longest and have experimented with.

Mr Juno has been on lots of my recordings and suffered some extensive programming, although it is quite easy to handle. The PolySix has many hidden tricks and sounds and is the VCO synth I use the most. It is far more competent then it's reputation.

But still, the synth I've played with the most, up to its limitations, is the JP-8000. If I would be a teacher, it would be in the classroom.

krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Where the Embers Fall

Post by krzeppa » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:28 pm

I would have to say not at this time. Every time I think I have one of my synths figured out inside and out......well.....there always seems to be something new that pops up.....So may maybe I'm an expert learner or just really darn slow at figuring out how to work my synths. But either way, it sure is fun :music:

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by clubbedtodeath » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:03 pm

I'd consider myself a semi-guru of the Novation KS-4. Without really knowing what I'm doing (or perhaps knowing what I'm doign without thinking about it), I can get the types of sounds I want. No idea why I gelled so well with it, but there you are.

Am karatist-preacher-in-training with the Korg MS-20... a necessary thing, you can't save patches on that puppy.

As for real man-on-instrument love/hammer action, that would have to go to a non-synthesising keyboard, my beloved Fender Rhodes Mk I Stage 73. I just know exactly how to caress and process the signal for the tones I need. So many things you can do with it beyond the jazz/blues/funk realm - an amazing instrument.

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:58 pm

I'm relatively clueless with most of them.

Malik

Post by Malik » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:11 pm

I'd have to submit the Ensoniq SQ-80 and Emu PX7 Command Station. Even when I haven't used them for a while, I remember them better than a bad haircut.

Any takers out there for the Andromeda? That's one synth that conquers its owners before they often conquer it.

;->

electro funker

Post by electro funker » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:16 pm

I will proberly have to sign up for the korg ds-8, I love it, it´s architecture is simple, but the sounds are quite radical and the timbre of the synth it self pleases me every time I switch it on.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:40 am

Malik wrote:I
Any takers out there for the Andromeda? That's one synth that conquers its owners before they often conquer it.

;->
if the mod matrix & control routes weren't so stupefyingly unappealing then I would have made way more patches with it by now.
I just like the sound of it - most of the time :lol:

but 'master' a synth?
sure, I can look at the slider placemant on a Juno6 and know what it's going to sound like before I press a key, but that's not mastery in the slightest.

the notion "this synth does what i want it to" is misguided, imho.
what's really meant is: "I just like it more now than before" that's all.
"LIKE" being a deceptively powerful term - relating to sympathy/antipathy and all that esoteric business [see: Salvador Dali's 50 Secrets of Magic Craftsmanship]

the design of the synth is the 1st limiting factor, followed by my understanding of it.
my understanding DEPENDS on the design, which I may comprehend or intuit with varying degrees.

So becoming "master" of an instrument I have not designed is truly impossible - it seems possible in that I may know how to get along with it better than anybody else I know, but that is to the Designer's credit - he's the one that made it so playable, not me.
Joey wrote:Virus TI. there is not a thing I can't do with it...
awesome!!! please please show me how to do everything w/ it so I can get rid of all my pesky CV gear, starting with the 2600 :!:
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

Computer Controlled
Gear: SH-101 . TB-3 . TR-8 . Juno-1 w/PG-300 . TT-303 . Korg ES2 . Beatstep Pro . Pioneer RMX-500
Band: Computer Controlled

Post by Computer Controlled » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:14 am

101 and 303. I've had my 303 for about 12 years now. It's the synth i've had the longest, and i've had quite a few 101s as well. Of course, the 101 isn't that tough to master =o]
Synths:
Avalon Bassline . TB-03 . JU-06 . MX-1 . Blofeld . MicroMonsta . Akai S5000
Drum Machines:
TR-09 . TR-8

Old Iron Giant
Gear: Virus Ti2, Indig2, EmuXL7, Microkorg.
Band: KHz+

Post by Old Iron Giant » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:38 am

I love the hardware, you love to hate :D

I would consider myself an expert of the following;
*Emu- XL7 command station.
*Emu- ESI 2000
*MicroKorg.

Romplers, Samplers, and Cheap sythns. Oh My!
out of everything I own, I've been using this combo the most.

eventually I would like to replace the Micro" as my main Vocoder, and use my Virus-C instead.
but I haven't gotten to the point of understanding every detail this Access holds.

CapnMarvel

Post by CapnMarvel » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:58 pm

I'm pretty much expert in the Prophet 600, which is just slightly more complicated than a Juno 6/60/106.

I'm a frigging MASTER of the front panel of the Oberheim Matrix 1000, though! I can call up patches in mere milliseconds! 8-)
Gear List: A bunch that go 'WHHONNGG!', several that go 'tweedle tweedle' and 'thumpity', and a few that don't make any noise at all but have lots of delightful little lights on them.