Recent unpopularity of Wavestation?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
rap and country

Recent unpopularity of Wavestation?

Post by rap and country » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:38 pm

I can't get rid of this thing.

Seems like 2-3 years ago they were going for up to $500. Did the Legacy Edition one get better or something?

paugui

Re: Recent unpopularity of Wavestation?

Post by paugui » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:23 pm

Given the prices of the Legacy Collection (I got mine for 200 euros new) and that the software has a great sound to it, I think it is quite natural that the hardware version would drop of value.

I don't think it is the synth that is getting unpopular, it is just the fact that you can get a software version for a nice price that makes the price of the hardware drop.

I quite like the Wavestation, some of the pads are simply astonishing.
It's just a shame that I'm not that much of a software guy, so I end up not using it as much as I should, which makes me want to get a Wavestation A/D and a Wavestation SR myself.
But given that I have the Legacy version, I definitely don't see myself giving 350 euros or so for an A/D or more than 200 for a SR.

synthevoice

Post by synthevoice » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:25 pm

I love the Wavestation, it's such a great synthesizer. As for the Legacy Digital Edition, I tried it out and liked the sound of it but, just like paugui, I'm not a softsynth user and I think the hardware and software versions are completely different in approach-the VSTi is totally detached from my workflow, even though it sounds great. I don't think Legacy DE has anything to do with the price of the real WS. These are two different things.

Why haven't I bought a Wavestation yet? Well, I've got a DX7 which gives me every kind of digital sound I need, from obvious FM timbres, through rompler flavours to alien pads and sound FX. With WS I'd miss a lot of things I can do with the DX7 while I can still get the WS impressions using the DX synth and I don't want two digital synths in my setup.

memory cords

Post by memory cords » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:40 pm

rap and country wrote:I can't get rid of this thing.

Seems like 2-3 years ago they were going for up to $500. Did the Legacy Edition one get better or something?
I think the used synth market is already flooded with used Wavestations. And because it's digital it doesn't have the same percieved value as analog gear for most synth collectors.

If a very famous artist starts saying they use the Wavestation then the market will change and people will start buying Wavestations again. I remember all those Emu digital drum machines were worth nothing but then became sought after again just because a few well-known hip-hop producers kept mentioning them in interviews.

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:27 pm

There's lots of synths (hard and soft) that can get Wavestation-like sounds these days, esp. current Korg workstations and softies like Absynth, Omnisphere, etc.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:34 pm

paugui wrote: I don't think it is the synth that is getting unpopular
I think the synth is getting unpopular.

guillermotin

Post by guillermotin » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:24 pm

I've had a Wavestation SR for many years.

From my experience, it is one of those rare cases where the software version has outperformed the hardware. I've extensively compared the sounds from the SR hardware with the software, and found that the software sounded "crispier" and cleaner, highlighting the digital aspect that I enjoy most when programming the unit. Maybe it's just me, or the DA converters on the hardware, who knows, but I saw that as an advantage.

But the fact is that, given the presets are identical, the software is infinitely more user-friendly than the SR hardware. Because of that, one day I realised I'd been programming the software much more than the hardware, even though I had the SR fully connected to a MIDI and audio patchbay and ready to fire at any moment.

Maybe if i had a Wavestation AD or the EX version i would have given a second thought before selling it, because of their improved programmability over the SR. But I gave it up and exchanged it 1:1 for a nasty cheapy TX81z a few months ago.

Veredict: completely satisfied.

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:31 pm

I wanted a real Wavestation EX for a long time, but the software Legacy edition is really good. And it has PolySix and MS-20 too, which are super softsynths. And given that I bought a new computer last year for the purpose of creating music, the choice is not hard.

Dano

Post by Dano » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:51 pm

As some of the others have mentioned, I'm also not a soft-synth guy so I hold on to my Wavestation SR. It's been said that the SR was specifically intended for people that wanted the Wavestation sound but that didn't want to program it so it has a relatively large number of presets and not much of an front panel interface.

I've read an opinion expressed somewhere that if the Wavestations would have had a good resonant filter then they might be mentioned in the same breath as some of the all-time great synths. The Wavestation to me is a good "spice" synth - Not a bread and butter synth but a great 3rd or 4th synth to have on hand. To me that also helps explain why a good software version does well since Wavestations usually aren't mentioned high on the list of synths to have to gig with.

HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Post by HideawayStudio » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:40 pm

Dano wrote:I've read an opinion expressed somewhere that if the Wavestations would have had a good resonant filter then they might be mentioned in the same breath as some of the all-time great synths. The Wavestation to me is a good "spice" synth - Not a bread and butter synth but a great 3rd or 4th synth to have on hand. To me that also helps explain why a good software version does well since Wavestations usually aren't mentioned high on the list of synths to have to gig with.
That may well have been me, it was by far the biggest mistake Korg made with the WS. That said, I adore my WS A/D and will never part with with it. It can sound a little cold and digital at times. At the very least it makes a superb and sometimes really quite mad FX processor what with the ADC inputs.

It's an absolute classic and layers beautifully with other synths which makes it great sample fodder if nothing else. The WS and the TG77 make an awesome combo for layering huge evolving pads and swirly stuff. If it had a fault it's that it sounds too much like a WaveStation!! - ie. it needs to be used carefully in a mix - but then again so does the D-50!!

And remember... it may not be worth much to some but it will ALWAYS be worth more than a second hand soft synth - depressing but very true. Furthermore, it will still be working 20 years later, something that can't be said for your average PC and support for it's Operating System!!

All synths go through phases when it comes to their value - I guarantee it will go through the cycle again at some point. It's a million times more flexible than it's sister, the Korg M1 - a synth I barely power up at all these days.

rap and country

Post by rap and country » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:35 am

This was sort of a joke because of the 707 thread, but I am in fact looking to sell my Wavestation EX in favour of the Legacy Edition and it doesn't seem to be generating much interest on the local CL. Seems there are a few others there in the same boat, too.

I wish they still sold the original Legacy Edition with Polysix and WS, but now you have to pick between analog or digital and I don't think I'd have much use for the M1. I've read alot of reviews talking about how the software WS doesn't really sound the same, but even if that were the case I think the improved interface would go a long way in making up for it.

qube
Gear: Logic 10, loads of plugins.
Band: Perge

Post by qube » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:42 pm

I recently borrowed an EX, the Wavestation was the first 'proper' synth I ever had. I remembered it being fantastic so the chance to borrow one was quite exciting.

What an utter let down, I found it to be really thin and quiet, even when used through external FX to try and beef it up a little it just seemed to sound narrow and thin.

I prefer the Legacy version though, just seems to have a wider dynamic range (possibly due to using the better DAC's on the computer over the ones in the original keyboard).

A lot of keys from that vintage sound a bit hopeless now.

minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by minime123 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:46 am

i really dont like softsynths for a number of reasons.
ive used a wavestation for many years and a while back replaced an EX and an AD with an SR. unfortunately, it doesnt work right with the version of sounddiver id been using to edit it so i recently decided to take the near mint AD we were going to sell and keep it around because editing from the front panel is way easier than editing on the SR. id rather have hardware. if and when i decide to rely more on softsynths, ill definitely check out korgs software equivalent.

ive gotta disagree with synthevoice about the dx7 being able to handle wavestation type sounds. theyre very different synths - i would never replace one for the other.

mini
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- We Buy Sell Trade Repair Vintage Synths
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com

I12

Post by I12 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:22 am

Furthermore, it will (should) still be working 20 years later,
just a little edit in brackets, even though their built well
theres no guarantee it WILL be working in the future. :?: 8-)

I love the form of the keyboards, i like that spartan sleek black look
never enjoyed programming any model,
never understood the disappearance
of the res filter with some synths in that era
a pointless exercise in cost cutting to the detriment of the synth
Dont bother its not worth it!

serv

Post by serv » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:40 pm

wavestation doesn't sell very well.
i've seen it on ebay time to time for around 300~400 usd and most of the times it doesn't sell and when it's sold, it's sold with 1 to 2 bids.