Recent unpopularity of Wavestation?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
machinea
Gear: K2661, JD990, NL2X, Juno 60, Mini D, V'ger, SH101, Odyssey, MS20, Dominion1, MEK, Prophet 6, D550, MKS50, JV1080, TG33

Re: Recent unpopularity of Wavestation?

Post by machinea » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:15 am

guillermotin wrote:I've had a Wavestation SR for many years.

From my experience, it is one of those rare cases where the software version has outperformed the hardware. I've extensively compared the sounds from the SR hardware with the software, and found that the software sounded "crispier" and cleaner, highlighting the digital aspect that I enjoy most when programming the unit. Maybe it's just me, or the DA converters on the hardware, who knows, but I saw that as an advantage.

You know I recently had this same experience with the arturia jupiterv I can fully endorse the software 7000 is too much for that synth really it ought to be about 3500-4500 ;)

gigundusdongus

Post by gigundusdongus » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:40 am

Wavestations have had a lot of problems with the little computer screens dieing ... no?

HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Post by HideawayStudio » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:01 pm

gigundusdongus wrote:Wavestations have had a lot of problems with the little computer screens dieing ... no?
No more so than any other EL backlit synth LCD module. It's easy to find replacement EL foils and not too tricky to replace them either - Mine is as good as new now :)

portland
Gear: Elektron Machinedrum UW+, GEM S2, Roland S-760, Korg SDD-3300, Kawai Q-80, Yamaha TG-77, Yamaha 01x, Adam A7s, Logic Studio, Reaktor 5
Band: Romeo Alfa

Post by portland » Sat May 01, 2010 1:34 am

I think I'm the only one here who thinks the wavestation sucks... but I guess the market is beginning to agree.

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Sat May 01, 2010 1:38 am

And remember... it may not be worth much to some but it will ALWAYS be worth more than a second hand soft synth - depressing but very true. Furthermore, it will still be working 20 years later, something that can't be said for your average PC and support for it's Operating System!!

A sentiment repeated often and I'm not sure what it's based on.
Right now, people have ROM players for old, old, old school video games and just about every OS has a legacy mode. If not, the users themselves will build a host. If there is ANY demand for a VST player that supports "outdated" software, someone will build it.

And worse, you can still install old operating systems on moden systems (using dual boot if you have to). The idea that I may or may not buy a VST for a concern about 20 years in the future is a little far fetched.

Aside from that, I hope I'm using different gear 20 years in the future.
I can see keeping a piece of two, but really...

There are artists who have made their hit records with a particular set up and they still modernize or change up their studios. I saw a Wavestation and DX7 for cheap and still didn't jump. I think it's a combination of all the reasons mentioned. Synths that are workhorses and main instrument/sound suppliers are hard to let go.

The sprinkles on top units are easier to replace.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by braincandy » Sat May 01, 2010 1:59 am

portland wrote:I think I'm the only one here who thinks the wavestation sucks... but I guess the market is beginning to agree.

Sucks in what way?
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects

portland
Gear: Elektron Machinedrum UW+, GEM S2, Roland S-760, Korg SDD-3300, Kawai Q-80, Yamaha TG-77, Yamaha 01x, Adam A7s, Logic Studio, Reaktor 5

Post by portland » Sat May 01, 2010 7:20 am

braincandy wrote:
portland wrote:I think I'm the only one here who thinks the wavestation sucks... but I guess the market is beginning to agree.

Sucks in what way?
I can't stand the low sound quality of the samples (and the effects unit). It looks good on paper, but I've never heard anything from the wavestation which sounded clean and sparkling like a TG77 (or maybe a K5000). To me it always has a cold, flat, murky sound. Which could be what you're looking for if you want that early 90s tv show sound.

ItsMeOnly
Gear: Wavestation, K3m, TG77, MOXF6, D-550, S2000, DeepMind 12;
Broken: DX100, 01R/W, U-220

Post by ItsMeOnly » Sat May 01, 2010 8:03 pm

portland wrote:I think I'm the only one here who thinks the wavestation sucks...
portland wrote:I can't stand the low sound quality of the samples (and the effects unit). It looks good on paper, but I've never heard anything from the wavestation which sounded clean and sparkling like a TG77 (or maybe a K5000). To me it always has a cold, flat, murky sound. Which could be what you're looking for if you want that early 90s tv show sound.
Luckilly it's just you :-P ;-)

portland

Post by portland » Sat May 01, 2010 8:20 pm

ItsMeOnly wrote:
portland wrote:I think I'm the only one here who thinks the wavestation sucks...
portland wrote:I can't stand the low sound quality of the samples (and the effects unit). It looks good on paper, but I've never heard anything from the wavestation which sounded clean and sparkling like a TG77 (or maybe a K5000). To me it always has a cold, flat, murky sound. Which could be what you're looking for if you want that early 90s tv show sound.
Luckilly it's just you :-P ;-)
Yep :D

Christopher Winkels
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Christopher Winkels » Sun May 02, 2010 2:41 am

portland wrote:
braincandy wrote:

Sucks in what way?
I can't stand the low sound quality of the samples (and the effects unit). It looks good on paper, but I've never heard anything from the wavestation which sounded clean and sparkling like a TG77 (or maybe a K5000). To me it always has a cold, flat, murky sound. Which could be what you're looking for if you want that early 90s tv show sound.
That sums it up quite well for me too.

The Wavestation was my only synth for a couple of years and in retrospect it was a synth that excelled at mid-range sounds, but became flabby in the low end and had a great deal of aliasing with minimal sparkle in the high end. I think its reputation exceeds its value.