What got you into synths?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
danbroad
Gear: TSC4 P12 NI9

Re: What got you into synths?

Post by danbroad » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:07 pm

My dad was blown away by a tangerine dream concert in the mid-70's - around the time I was born - and as a child we'd be driving along pitch-dark country lanes with Phaedra or Rubycon blaring.....

Terrifying music when you're under five years old. So, I blame my interest in synths on the profound mental scarring that occurred in the late 70's.
Less words more noise

themilford
Gear: Oberheim: OB-8, DSX, DMX, DXa, Yamaha CS-15, Akai AX-60, S612, Moog Taurus 3, Alesis MMT-8, HR-16, Fender Bass IV, Rickenbacker 620/6, Crumar Trilogy
Band: Season Finale

Post by themilford » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:52 am

Rush then The Cure... and maybe Wendy Carlos.

Newtown
Gear: microKORG
Yamaha PSR-15
mini-KP
Line 6 DL4 Delay Modeler
Boss DR-770
Band: Datavis

Post by Newtown » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:50 pm

I never could play guitar.
http://datavis.bandcamp.com/ is for Datavis releases.
http://soundcloud.com/datavis/ is for everything else.
http://penguinchan.org/will/ is my personal site.

Juno6

Post by Juno6 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:08 am

jz727170

Post by jz727170 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:29 am

EMILY HAINES

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:39 am

jz727170 wrote:EMILY HAINES
Troll.
bonne chance

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:33 am

sequentialsoftshock wrote:
Troll.
Gnome!

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:33 pm

Ashe37 wrote:
Troll.
Gnome!
Dwarf.

:lol:
bonne chance

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:17 pm

Ashe37 wrote:
sequentialsoftshock wrote:Troll.
Gnome!
Dwarf.

:lol:
Bugbear.

kyodai

Post by kyodai » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:51 pm

I got into synths by first becoming a DJ. I found playing other people's music kinda boring so then I started adding samples to my sets (I got a Boss SP-202) I saw the funny 5 pin connector on the back and curiosity drove me to figure out what that was. from there I got a few old drum machines (727 and DDD-1) and got a Kawai K1r and went from there to groove boxes and then to a computer DAW.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:19 pm

Newtown wrote:I never could play guitar.
Okay, maybe on an off topic tangent here, but i've never understood how some people can just not be able to play guitar? i've always though it was a pretty simple instrument. i don't mean to be patronising here, but what was it about it that led to you not being able to play it?

moremagic
Gear: electribe er-1, sp-303, sp-404sx, s612, nuo 2, sl-1200 mk ii, beatstep, eurorack, tb-03, vx-99

Post by moremagic » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:59 am

tekkentool wrote:
Okay, maybe on an off topic tangent here, but i've never understood how some people can just not be able to play guitar? i've always though it was a pretty simple instrument. i don't mean to be patronising here, but what was it about it that led to you not being able to play it?
I wont argue that guitar isnt easy, but one thing that hangs a lot of folks up is how the right and left hands arent performing interchangeable functions. that, and having all the notes ready to play sitting there on the keyboard instead of having to count frets and make sure which string youre on, are two big things that may lead a beginning musician to find keys easier than guitar

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:25 pm

The first bit I remember was Telstar. I remember wondering what that weird sound was. But I was only three years old at the time and I had never heard of the word "synthesizer". My dad didn't much approve of a young child listening to rock music at the time, but he liked that song because he (and most of my friend's fathers) worked on the U.S. space program, so whenever that song was on, it got turned up.

The next bit was SOB. A classmate brought it to school when I was in the fourth grade, 1969. The teacher was up on Bach and she was suitably impressed, so it got played in class, a few minutes a day, and she would tell us a bit about what was going on.

There were two bits that really did it for me: Edgar Winter's "Frankenstein" and Golden Earring's "Vanilla Queen", both from around 1971. Frankenstein, of course, got lots of airplay and attention, and I recall a newspaper article that explained, or attempted to, about the 2600. I talked my mom into taking me and my friends to an Edgar Winter Group concert (a whopping $5 ticket! :lol: ). It was my first concert. What a heck of a show. From then on, I was hooked, and I started listening for synths in songs.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:23 am

tekkentool wrote:
1. Everything important is being done with the left hand.

2. Strings are mostly 4ths apart. This makes multiple-string note calculations extremely difficult.

3. Chords are absolutely non-linear.

4. Melodies are linear as long as you're on one string, but become non-linear the minute you leave a string. That means you either have to do calculations very quickly, or have actually memorized which note exists at which fret on which string.

5. Some chords are easy to play, some chords are difficult to play... this distinction has nothing to do with the type of chord.

6. Until you get callouses from playing, playing guitar is painful. You only get callouses from playing a lot, but because of the previous 5 points, you may not get that far.

7. Chord inversions are not remotely intuitive.

8. Your hands are bent into unergonomic positions. Your fingers are twisted into downright painful positions.

9. Apart from bar chords, there is no logical similarity or progression in fingering between various chords.

10. Not all strings can be played in every chord played, so some strings must be avoided. This becomes challenging as it requires muscle memory with your strumming hand in an awkward position... which means extensive practice.

11. Some strings must be muted in unorthodox fashions such as muting some strings with a single finger- where that finger is laid across all strings, but is only meant to mute some.

12. The angle at which you observe your own fingering does not always give you the best possible feedback about what is working or not working with your fingering.

13. It is possible to play the right note out of tune.

14. Bar chords.

15. The position of the guitar essentially demands that you don't see what you're doing unless you bend your upper body, head, and the guitar itself to do so.

Etc.

Yes, all of these observations are made from the perspective of a keyboard player... but the keyboard has none of these problems because it is much more rationally and intuitively laid out. If you make music using a system of sequential and progressive frequencies, it makes it far easier to intuitively grasp what you're doing when these frequencies are laid out in a sequential and progressive manner. Of course, if you'd rather go the memorization route, most instruments are "easy" with practice and memorization.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Newtown
Gear: microKORG
Yamaha PSR-15
mini-KP
Line 6 DL4 Delay Modeler
Boss DR-770
Band: Datavis

Post by Newtown » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:43 am

tekkentool wrote:
I'm lazy.

Of course, that doesn't mean I got into synths because I'm lazy, I didn't like guitars all that much either.

What AG said.
http://datavis.bandcamp.com/ is for Datavis releases.
http://soundcloud.com/datavis/ is for everything else.
http://penguinchan.org/will/ is my personal site.