What got you into synths?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
vanpet
Gear: Mono Evolver | Juno-60 | Nord Lead 2X | DX7 | MicroKorg | Alpha Juno

Re: What got you into synths?

Post by vanpet » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:18 pm

q: are we not men? a: we are DEVO!

eMh
Gear: Edirol PCR-M50+pc
Korg MS2000
Polivoks
Alesis HR-16
Band: experiMENTALhospital

Post by eMh » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:53 pm

xenomorph313 wrote:Nine Inch Nails
+1
High five. The first song i heard from NIN was Hand That Feeds feat. an odyssey and a tasty buchla, the second was Right Where It Belongs and since then it's history.

audible
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by audible » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:32 pm

It was chance and interest, rather than an influence from a particular band or style. I grew up in the eighties too, but strangely enough what got me hooked was the seventies prog rock. The transition was organ to mellotron to synths. Some seminal pieces have been, for me, Richochet by TD, prog synth solos, Jarre's Ethnicolor I and The Concerts in China, the first two albums from Marillion and Alan Parsons Project's 'Nucleus' section in I Robot, although I guess there's not much synth in the latter.
"The concern of the musician is music. The concern of the professional musician is business. Only become a professional musician if there is no choice." Robert Fripp.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:01 am

as a child, i went into a music store in oak ridge, TN USA with my parents to buy a piano. on the way to the piano section, i passed a roland jupiter-6. it completely blew me away with all the crazy sounds and the controls and i said to my parents, "forget the piano, i want this!!" but it was way to expensive.

i would get a poly-800 next year which would be my first real synth.

manmade

Post by manmade » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:57 am

Might as well add my route to music/synths..

One of my brothers had a few during the 80's, then when I started with Protracker on Amiga in 1992/93, I kept it pretty much within in the scene, was a member of demoscene groups as Illusion, Subspace, Floppy & Sound Entity for instance.. good ol' #amigascne IRC channel, wonderful times, parties and ppl ..

Then I bought a few synths in '96-99, but first got back into music again 2-3 years ago.. or so.. Very worthwhile. :)
Roland V-Synth GT,Juno-2,D-50,JD-800,JP-8000,JX-8P,JX-305,VS-1680(2 x VS8F-2).Clavia Nord Lead 2,Nord Lead 3. Alesis ION.Korg Radias (kb),Z1,Trinity plus,Karma,DW-8000.Novation Supernova II pro (kb).Waldorf MicroWave XT.Yamaha DX7 II FD, DX21.Ensoniq SQ1+

ColorForm2113
Gear: tin cans and rubber bands
Band: Me twiddling in the corner...

Post by ColorForm2113 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:21 am

For me it was a combination of early 90s industrial like ministry, NIN, skinny puppy and old 70s stuff like pink floyd, genesis, rush. I heard all these strange sounds and had no clue what they were. So I tried to replicate them on my guitar by getting a c**p load of pedals. Then I discovered this "magic all in one box" the korg em-1! And it was cool but I got board with it and then stumbled on a moogerfooger phaser at guitar center and that changed EVERYTHING! I then found moog synthesizers (and very soon after that all the other greats and classics) and looked back on all those old albums that inspired me to make noise and was like " ohhhh that's how they did that..."
My modular so far: Q104, Q106, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M (x2 STEREO!)

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:07 am

Same as a lot of you. MTV from our pirated cable in 1982 (thank goodness it was on one of the first 13 channels or I'd have never seen it); my older brother checking out Kraftwerk's Trans Europe Express from the library; pop radio in the wake of Duran Duran; then later in the decade discovering Rush and other prog like King Crimson, Yes, ELP and Tangerine Dream. Then 20 years later a bandmate loaned me his copy of Reason 1.0 and i discovered that any shlub with a decent computer could make electronic music. 7 years later I'm still making it.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

nidhogg8
Gear: Roland Juno 106, Yamaha DX7, Oberheim DX, Kawai K3m, Roland S-770

Post by nidhogg8 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:24 am

eMh wrote:
xenomorph313 wrote:Nine Inch Nails
+1
High five. The first song i heard from NIN was Hand That Feeds feat. an odyssey and a tasty buchla, the second was Right Where It Belongs and since then it's history.
Same for me.

Well, that and this:

CapnMarvel

Post by CapnMarvel » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:20 pm

I was also an Eighties kid, so I would say the following probably had a huge effect on me:
1. Tangerine Dream's score to Risky Business
2. Miami Vice
3. Michael Jackson's Thriller
4. Early synthpop (Depeche Mode, Duran Duran, Gary Numan's 'Cars' has been mentioned)
5. Early 80's Rush and Yes
I was a rockist guitar player for many years but always had room for the above in my musical landscape, so when I got really into Krautrock and prog about 5-7 years ago I realized that owning and playing synthesizers was the next step.
Gear List: A bunch that go 'WHHONNGG!', several that go 'tweedle tweedle' and 'thumpity', and a few that don't make any noise at all but have lots of delightful little lights on them.

krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Where the Embers Fall

Post by krzeppa » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:17 pm

I am a child of the 80s so new wave was all I listened to growing up. With that said there were a few albums that I remember that blew me away. I fell in love with Gary Numan's "Telekon," Depech Mode's "Black Celebration," and much of what New Order did. When I got to high school, I started listening to Nitzer Ebb, Nine Inch Nails, Front Line Assembly, and Skinny Puppy. These later bands are probably what influenced me to start making my own music because I thought there were vastly different from anything that I was hearing on the radio.

jcn7
Gear: K2500, Vsynth, Karp, Prophecy, Volcas, Monotribes, Oasys PCI, Oberheim Matrix, SEMs, Nord Drums, Microbrute, Yamaha EX5R, + multiple Euro modulars.

Post by jcn7 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:50 pm

Easy...it was Tomita's "Snowflakes are Dancing" LP. From there I fell in love with bands such as Yes, ELP, Genesis, Rush, and ELO...loved ELO's "Time" album...chocked full of synthesizer goodness! Jaime

nsbhp2
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Roland JV-1080, Korg Legacy Collection, the impOSCar, Korg DS-10, MicroKorg, Roland JP-8000, Casio CZ-1000, Korg Monotron, Korg Kaossilator

Post by nsbhp2 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:25 am

I remember getting the 45 for Gary Numan's "Cars" back in the day (OK, it was a LONG time ago), and instantly fell in love with the synth sound. So, I was a sucker for '80s music all around...Duran Duran, Depeche Mode, OMD, The Cure, Tomas Dolby & Howard Jones. I still love to listen to all of that, and my music tends in that direction. It embarrasses the h**l out of my daughter when she has friends over, and I've got 'Enola Gay' cranked! :roll:

noisecomm
Gear: Ensoniq ESQs & Sq80s, various Junos & an odd jx-3p, Korg & yamaha units & a Rhodes Suitcase 73. SIG
Band: sick past nine

Post by noisecomm » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:56 am

Listening to classic rock & synth pop during the eighties introduced me to the sonic planes of synthesis, but Skinny Puppy really got me interested in synthesis, sampling & production. I still have my first Casio (ct-360) & my first 'real' keyboard (Roland Juno-60), that I bought in 2001.
Roland-Korg-Ensoniq-Yamaha-Casio-Emu-Rhodes-Wurli-Tape-Digital-Pedals-Brain

Yekuku
Gear: dk'tronics speech synthesizer :P

Post by Yekuku » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:09 am

UK's oldskool hardcore and jungle got me involved into synths, samplers & music production.
At that time this sound was unique and indefinable; I got instantly hooked due to the complexity and the energy that it could produce, making me wanna decode it and compose similar stuff.
It is all about sharing...

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:28 pm

When I heard the album of which the cover is my avatar, a door opened. Behind that door there was an unknown world of synthesizers and music production. That world is now my world.