What got you into synths?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Roby31
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Waldorf Micro Q (Yellow)
Access Virus TI 2 Desktop
Casio VL-1

Re: What got you into synths?

Post by Roby31 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:28 pm

Born in the latest 80's, raised with acid house, hardcore/rave and prog rock. I guess that's just the way it goes ;)
Sorry for my unintentional killing of the English language. I'm Italian, you know :) - "What would Jexus do?" - Stew-diah

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:21 am

Usually a screwdriver.

guillermotin

Post by guillermotin » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:00 am

Ok, you won't believe that...

But it was NES Megaman II's soundtrack...

:D

megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Post by megamanx » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:50 am

guillermotin wrote:Ok, you won't believe that...

But it was NES Megaman II's soundtrack...

:D
I believe you, that s**t is awesome...

rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member
Band: Ghost Fires, The Witch Family

Post by rharris07 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:51 am

a car wreck.

MEK | SixTrak | DrumTraks | Motif 8 | DW8000 | MicroKorg | EMX1 & ESX1 | Soviet TOM | Arp Quartet | SD-1 32V | Elka 490 | Indigo 2 | E6400 | Morpheus | SQ2 | DotCom Modular

Yatmandu
Gear: reverse

Post by Yatmandu » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:56 am

masstronaut wrote:Usually a screwdriver.
:lol:

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:17 am

August, 1999: Back in the day they played music like La Bouche, Le Click and Real McCoy. I had never heard eurodance before then and I was a changed boy from then on.
soundcloud.com/vectron

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:20 pm

Alex E wrote:Image

August, 1999: Back in the day they played music like La Bouche, Le Click and Real McCoy. I had never heard eurodance before then and I was a changed boy from then on.
!!!!! - won't lie, I've been looking for a pseudonym for my switchup to harder techno music, and I just registered myspace.com/gravitron ;)

zmd
Gear: ion, djx, su200, fb01, sk50d, dotcom, kodyssey, volcas, minibrute, minilogue, tg33, 522, streichfett, monotrons, cp35
Band: Shrimp ring/usse/wrote/usurper

Post by zmd » Mon May 10, 2010 12:20 am

i used to go to a grade school with a neat little "cultural" program. we paid 50 bux or something for the year, and we got to see plays/performance art etc. weird cuz it was a poor school in all other ways.
anyway, one day the event was a dude demoing samplers. i was hooked instantly. i had my first yamaha pss by xmas that year, and it had a handful of faders on it so i felt like i was totally in!

also, it was the 80's.
that's not dirt, that's chili sauce!

computron
Band: Computron

Post by computron » Mon May 10, 2010 11:47 am

th0mas wrote:
Alex E wrote:Image

!!!!! - won't lie, I've been looking for a pseudonym for my switchup to harder techno music, and I just registered myspace.com/gravitron ;)

Computron is down with Gravitron

the artist and the ride!
Living the Electro Life

emonbot

Post by emonbot » Tue May 11, 2010 1:19 am

klaus schulze

kraku
Gear: genoQs Machines Nemo
Eurorack modular
Future Retro XS
Novation Supernova 2 Pro Keyboard
Kurzweil PC161
Rode K2
ESP EC-400
Ibanez SR-900
Band: Aflecht / Diesel UFO

Post by kraku » Fri May 14, 2010 7:30 pm

Here's the short version in chronological order:
- 80 child (born in the late 70s)
- I loved only the electronic music, since traditional rock etc. sounded dull to my ears back then
- especially Jarre, Vangelis and the producers SAW made a big impression on me
- I loved playing all kinds of melodies on an organ (both my friend & my aunt had one)
- I played keyboards by ear whenever I had the chance since I was 5 or 6 years old
- I visited the local music shop several times a week for several years, drooling/playing on the cool synths they had on display before my father got the hint and bought a really cheap one for me
- the synth my father bought me was Yamaha PSR-36 which' sounds could be tweaked! I loved tweaking the sounds!
- then some years later I started doing music with trackers
- then when I was 19 years old I painstakingly managed to save money for my very first REAL synth: Korg Prophecy and the rest is history...

(just sold the Prophecy a month ago)
Misspellers of the world, unit!

mute

Post by mute » Sat May 15, 2010 11:04 am

I can't pin point it.. was always just fascinated by the sound, electronics, and their design (mor knobs plz!). They just seemed alive to me. First time I saw a picture of modular in Keyboard magazine I think my mind was blown. Biggest influence as a kid would probably be DM and the biggest facilitator for me in the late 80s/early 90s were Trackers and the .mod scene. First "real" synth I possessed was a MG-1 in 1992 (I was 15).. I didnt have much experience or knowledge yet, so it was a real eye opener.

From 1990-1995 I programmed all my beats on a tracker (screamtracker), recorded the output to a 4 track, or rented an 8 track and also often rented things like the D50, SR-16 and HR-16 from a local shop, I learned about MIDI, patch editing, arppegiators, sequencing, etc. with those 3 things. No one else I knew in highschool had a clue about any of it, so I was on my own except on the internets. First songs I recorded were synthpop and late 80's industrial knock offs... tho I quickly switched to breaks after accidentally stumbling across a breaks sample cd in a used cd store. A few years later I bought a JX3P, XR-10, and DX9.. and then free/cheap PC software synths started popping up all over the place thanks to sites like mazsound.com. From 1996-2000 I dont think I used anything but software because I was constantly moving all over the country as 19-25 year olds often do. I really became obssessed (and still am) with modular audio software during that period.

exceler8

Post by exceler8 » Sat May 29, 2010 2:31 am

Kraftwerk's Computer World. The first time I heard that album it changed me forever. I went down and bought a Casio VL Tone and started a band. :mrgreen:

mute

Post by mute » Sat May 29, 2010 2:25 pm

rharris07 wrote:a car wreck.
and a sex fetish?