What got you into synths?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Dubersive

Re: What got you into synths?

Post by Dubersive » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:08 pm

Sorry, kind of a necro, but it's late and I can't sleep.

Probably what had the first influential impact on my little ears as a child was Michael Jackson and Sonic the Hedgehog. I loved MJ as a baby (who wouldn't?) and I played Sonic 2 quite a bit on my Genesis...could hardly ever get past the second world :shock:

But when I think of my toddler-pre-10 year old years, those melodies just come flooding in. And then of course there all the other classic video game melodies, like Mario, Zelda, Metroid...h**l, even Pokemon.

For my teen years, it was probably a combination of Pink Floyd and The Gorillaz. And then I finally my found my musical heaven in the world of Drum & Bass, IDM, Breakcore, and Acid with all the classics. Boards of Canada, Aphex Twin, Squarepusher, Venetian Snares, Ceephax, etc. After hearing Feed Me Weird Things and Hello Everything by Squarepusher I just HAD to buy a synthesizer. There was no question about it. So what did I do? I went out and bought a f**k SH-201, because I didn't know any better. But it taught me the basics of synthesis (sort of) and also introduced me to the world of basic music production. Before that, it was just me dicking around on guitar and piano. Never even thought about possibly recording myself before then.

Anyways, I'm wanting to go way back now, and investigate those who started it all. I need to listen to more of early Depeche Mode, and all the other bands like that. I feel bad for not already knowing in detail who the pioneers were back in the day, considering electronic music is practically all I listen to now.
Last edited by Dubersive on Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[ Cwejman S1 MK2 / Korg MS-20 / SQ-10 | TR-606 | Eurorack stuff ]

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:47 am

Depeche Mode, Nine Inch Nails, and Information Society.

OntarioHydro
Band: {}[]<>[]{}

Post by OntarioHydro » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:29 am

As a child I never really cared for synths as my Dad is a synthnerd and I thought it was pretty nerdy.

I was constantly told "Don't touch that if you don't know what it is" or "that's not a toy."

For me it went:

drums at 8 --> realized I can't write songs on them --> guitar at 12 --> realized I'd have to buy a lot of pedals to get "cool trippy" sounds --> piano/viola at 16 due mostly to depression --> Playing the resonant filter of the MKS-80 --> Realized my nerdy ol' Dad was right all along --> Realizing he's a liar and they are deffinitly toys

Sucks he sold his old monos before i could get into synths tho.. minimoog, pro-1, monopoly, 4VOICE :evil:

Dubersive

Post by Dubersive » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:52 am

OntarioHydro wrote:Realizing he's a liar and they are deffinitly toys:
Does this mean you gave up on synthesis? :(

moremagic
Gear: electribe er-1, sp-303, sp-404sx, s612, nuo 2, sl-1200 mk ii, beatstep, eurorack, tb-03, vx-99

Post by moremagic » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:02 pm

Dubersive wrote:
OntarioHydro wrote:Realizing he's a liar and they are deffinitly toys:
Does this mean you gave up on synthesis? :(
If they arent toys, why do you play with them :lol:

OntarioHydro
Band: {}[]<>[]{}

Post by OntarioHydro » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:55 pm

It's just the a tools vs. toys thing, he got to make money using them and views them as tools. I get to make mayhem with them so i view them as toys.

thefleeingloaf
Gear: Virus Indigo, Machinedrum, MBase-01, Microkorg, MFB-503

Post by thefleeingloaf » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Minimal techno. :happy3:

Dubersive

Post by Dubersive » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:47 pm

moremagic wrote:If they arent toys, why do you play with them :lol:
True, I suppose any instrument could be regarded as a toy. Ontario's post above pretty much explains how that's possible, hehe.

I always feel like the term "toy" is belittling though, but that's probably just me being insecure in the enormous amount of money I've invested in my stuff :oops:

moremagic
Gear: electribe er-1, sp-303, sp-404sx, s612, nuo 2, sl-1200 mk ii, beatstep, eurorack, tb-03, vx-99

Post by moremagic » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:30 pm

OntarioHydro wrote:It's just the a tools vs. toys thing, he got to make money using them and views them as tools. I get to make mayhem with them so i view them as toys.
I understand well where hes coming from, but the only instruments I keep are the ones that put a grin on my face :mrgreen:

N8-R

Post by N8-R » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:40 am

all the other guys who said... wrote:80's
Ditto for me... plus a bit of early 90's.

I'm young-ish compared to others who chimed in, so I only experienced those years as an elementary school kid, but the sound of that era always stuck with me.

I guess it just takes me back to simpler times. :oops:

Voodoo Ray
Gear:
Akai
Waldorf
Roland
Yamaha

Post by Voodoo Ray » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:37 am

Dubersive wrote:Anyways, I'm wanting to go way back now, and investigate those who started it all. I need to listen to more of early Depeche Mode, and all the other bands like that. I feel bad for not already knowing in detail who the pioneers were back in the day, considering electronic music is practically all I listen to now.
Musique Concrete anyone? ;)

blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MV8800, Sub37, Integra 7, Mininova, Fusion, Biscuit, TimeFactor, SP-555, SP-404, SPD-SX
Band: Blavatsky

Post by blavatsky » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:49 pm

{post deleted}
Last edited by blavatsky on Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member
Band: Ghost Fires, The Witch Family

Post by rharris07 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:15 pm

mute wrote:
rharris07 wrote:a car wreck.
and a sex fetish?
haha no no, my sexual desires have nothing to do with synths, thank god.

i was a drummer in a band years ago heading to austin to play a big show at emo's, when BAM a car pulled out in front of my car while we were going about 70 and they just stopped. bad wreck...totaled my car, beat up my drum kit and myself pretty good. i had to have surgery on my knees, and i couldn't play drums for quite awhile.

i was given a settlement check because they totaled out my drum set and what not, so along with buying a new car i picked up a yamaha moif 8, electribe, korg d1600 and korg triton rack...and thats where i got into synths.

i hadn't ever touched one before that day except for toy keyboards my sisters and i had as kids.

MEK | SixTrak | DrumTraks | Motif 8 | DW8000 | MicroKorg | EMX1 & ESX1 | Soviet TOM | Arp Quartet | SD-1 32V | Elka 490 | Indigo 2 | E6400 | Morpheus | SQ2 | DotCom Modular

Roby31
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Waldorf Micro Q (Yellow)
Access Virus TI 2 Desktop
Casio VL-1

Post by Roby31 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:09 am

I don't know how to say this in English, but "every cloud has a silver lining" (meaning that not all bad things only bring hurt)
Sorry for my unintentional killing of the English language. I'm Italian, you know :) - "What would Jexus do?" - Stew-diah

watari banzai

Post by watari banzai » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:00 pm

at first it was new wave/synth pop (which is most age appropriate for me) : the intro to new order's "thieves like us", depeche mode, talktalk, hungry like the wolf, even kim wilde's "tuning in, tuning on", the huge portamento on devo's "its not right"

later it was pink floyd on "welcome to the machine", the synth interlude on rush on "jacobs ladder" and the tom sawyer drone, and styx on grand illusion

and the it was 90s edm: orbital, prodigy, chems, daft punk etc. which is when i bought my cz5000 and sh101 on the same day

ive always loved synths even though i am primarily a guitarist. anything with prominent synths on the radio, im loving it: paul hardcastle's "19", rockit, theme from axle f, all the single ladies...anything...

edit: cant forget the german 70s documentaries they used to show on tv when i was a kid!
Cubase SX3, Yamaha RM1X, Kawai Q80 EX, Yamaha A3000 v.2, Yamaha CS-15, Sequential Circuits 6-Trak, Roland SH101, Roland SH2, Casio CZ5000, Yamaha RY20, Deltalab Effectron I, Zoom 1201, Oxygen 8