Micromoog / Moogerfoogers

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
expermusic

Micromoog / Moogerfoogers

Post by expermusic » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:08 pm

Hello all,

I couldn't find this elsewhere, but does anyone know if a moogerfooger ring mod would track the cv of a micromoog? I'm thinking of getting one to use as an extra oscillator for the micro. Would it track pitch correctly?
MFB Kraftzwerg, Euro Modular (w/ Noisering, Maths, Tame Machine, Doepfer A-143-9, A-154, A-155, A-160 so far) Nord Modular G2, Elektron SPS-1UW, Mini-kp, Novation Launchpad, NI Maschine, Novation Remote Zero SL MKii, Macbook Unibody 2.4

ColorForm2113
Gear: tin cans and rubber bands
Band: Me twiddling in the corner...

Re: Micromoog / Moogerfoogers

Post by ColorForm2113 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:47 am

Unfortunately if you want the ring mod or freqbox to track with the micromoog you will need some sort of attenuatation like the cp251. I have the micro that has an attenuator knob on the keyboard out and it only tracks about 3 or 4 notes. BUT oddly enough the moog lowpass filter set to self oscillate will track very nicely! It would only be a sine wave though but if you mix it with the micros filter in tone mode you'll have 2 sine osc plus the variable wave osc plus the sub octave so kinda like have 4 osc. Im personally either going to start building a modular around my micro or if modusonics gets up and running again (I know a lot of people have problems with him right now but I don't want to get in to that and give him the benefit of the doubt) id really like to get the dvco !
My modular so far: Q104, Q106, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M (x2 STEREO!)

expermusic

Post by expermusic » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:36 pm

Ok, thanks! I'll have to check out the filter then.
MFB Kraftzwerg, Euro Modular (w/ Noisering, Maths, Tame Machine, Doepfer A-143-9, A-154, A-155, A-160 so far) Nord Modular G2, Elektron SPS-1UW, Mini-kp, Novation Launchpad, NI Maschine, Novation Remote Zero SL MKii, Macbook Unibody 2.4

WhinyLittleRunt

Post by WhinyLittleRunt » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:13 pm

I'll have to retry some of this stuff mentioned here; I remember trying to do the exact same thing with my Micro and could not get it to track...
I like vintage synths....

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:59 pm

I can't remember the exact number, but the Micromoog isn't 1 volt per octave, just something close.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Henfield
Gear: MU Modular in a Moog 1P style cabinet, Moog Minitaur, and Moogerfooger rack.

Post by Henfield » Tue May 04, 2010 3:39 am

ColorForm2113 wrote:Im personally either going to start building a modular around my micro or if modusonics gets up and running again (I know a lot of people have problems with him right now but I don't want to get in to that and give him the benefit of the doubt) id really like to get the dvco !

Have you thought about using modules made by Synthesizers.com? I have a collection of their modules, and I have thought of getting a Micromoog as a controller, as it has many more input/output connections than other Moog synthesizers, which would interface nicely with a modular setup.

ColorForm2113
Gear: tin cans and rubber bands
Band: Me twiddling in the corner...

Post by ColorForm2113 » Tue May 04, 2010 3:57 am

Henfield wrote:
ColorForm2113 wrote:Im personally either going to start building a modular around my micro or if modusonics gets up and running again (I know a lot of people have problems with him right now but I don't want to get in to that and give him the benefit of the doubt) id really like to get the dvco !

Have you thought about using modules made by Synthesizers.com? I have a collection of their modules, and I have thought of getting a Micromoog as a controller, as it has many more input/output connections than other Moog synthesizers, which would interface nicely with a modular setup.
oh yeah definately, i drool over dot com stuff all day. ideally i would like the dvco for my micro though just because its easy, and hopefully still cheaper than 2 dot com vcos, standards module (micro isnt 1v/oct),a mult, power supply, and something to mount them in. and then i would like to have my dot com/misc modular next to that. but moneys tight right now so im not worring about any of that for awhile
My modular so far: Q104, Q106, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M (x2 STEREO!)

Henfield
Gear: MU Modular in a Moog 1P style cabinet, Moog Minitaur, and Moogerfooger rack.

Post by Henfield » Tue May 04, 2010 1:41 pm

Synthesizers.com has a rackmount frame, which can mount 8 module spaces in a standard rackmount enclosure, as well as an inexpensive "wall wart" power supply for up to 8 modules. Using these could make a great small setup for interfacing with the Micromoog.

Computer Controlled
Gear: SH-101 . TB-3 . TR-8 . Juno-1 w/PG-300 . TT-303 . Korg ES2 . Beatstep Pro . Pioneer RMX-500
Band: Computer Controlled

Post by Computer Controlled » Fri May 07, 2010 12:11 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:I can't remember the exact number, but the Micromoog isn't 1 volt per octave, just something close.

I believe it's .92v/oct

The output however IS 1v/oct.
Synths:
Avalon Bassline . TB-03 . JU-06 . MX-1 . Blofeld . MicroMonsta . Akai S5000
Drum Machines:
TR-09 . TR-8