selling a synth you planned to re-purchase

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
8bit9bot
No Longer Registered

selling a synth you planned to re-purchase

Post by 8bit9bot » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:22 am

I don't know about the rest of you... but I have had times where I needed quick cash and resorted to selling a synth that I didn't want to let go. Specifically the synth I'm talking about is the Waldorf Microwave II. About 3 years ago I had to sell mine... and I thought within a year I'd be able to buy it back. A lot of time has passed and I still haven't managed to be able to save up enough to re-buy it. If I had known it would take this long... I would have tried to acquire the money some other way. Even working @ Walmart during the overnight shift in addition to my regular job ;) Anyone have similar stories? I'm guessing yes... since we're living thru the second great depression.

Cerebral Infect

Re: selling a synth you planned to re-purchase

Post by Cerebral Infect » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:30 am

Depression or not, making electronic music with hardware is a tad more expensive than say playing guitar. You can have a cheap guitar and a cheap amp and still rock on. With synth, you needs cable, mixer, speakers... oh some effect boxes and blabla.

I am happy to have done the opposite, i.e. investing my time & money in school to have a better qualification instead of buying gear. Therefore I can now earn more money and even though I have a good living, I would not be able to accumulate the gear we see on some studio setup we see here.
Minimoog Voyager, Pulse 2, MS-20 Mini, Bass Station 2, Virus TI,DSI Mek, DSI Prophet 08, Nord Modular G2, x0xb0x, MB-6582, Sammich FM, Shruthi XT, Juno 106, S90ES, TX81Z, DM10X e-drums, Rocktron Banshee, Dr-110 and too many VSTs.

memory cords

Post by memory cords » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:05 am

8bit9bot wrote:I don't know about the rest of you... but I have had times where I needed quick cash and resorted to selling a synth that I didn't want to let go. Specifically the synth I'm talking about is the Waldorf Microwave II. About 3 years ago I had to sell mine... and I thought within a year I'd be able to buy it back. A lot of time has passed and I still haven't managed to be able to save up enough to re-buy it. If I had known it would take this long... I would have tried to acquire the money some other way. Even working @ Walmart during the overnight shift in addition to my regular job ;) Anyone have similar stories? I'm guessing yes... since we're living thru the second great depression.
Well some synths are easy to find again because there are a lot on the used market, Roland Juno's or Korg MS2000's for example. So repurchasing it later would not be a problem. And synths that are still in production are also easily repurchased. But if a synth is rare and/or out of production then your chances of being able to repurchase it are pretty slim. I never sell anything unless I'm 100% sure I'm not going to use it anymore.

If you specifically want to get Waldorf Microwave II sounds then the Blofeld can do them, plus a new Blofeld is probably cheaper than buying a used Microwave II.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:15 pm

I'm about to have a story like that if I don't find work next month. I'll have to sell my Jupiter 8. I went ahead and got JP8V and have re-created some of my patches on it, with suprising success. VA is never a complete replacement, but if you know how it will sit in the mix, the Arturia one can still satisfy.

I'll probably never get another Jupiter 8 though. Too many disappointments. I actually had alot more fun with the Jupiter 6, the last few times I played one.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

cgren72

Post by cgren72 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:35 pm

this is so sad:(

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:36 pm

I am on my third JX3P. I like having one around, but if I ever need quick money, it goes.

I keep on feeling drawn to Korg MS synths, but I always sell them, too. I think someday I might have an MS-10 that I keep, primarily because it's a fun live synth.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:51 pm

There's a local ARP Axxe that I could easily trade for, but I can't bring myself to part with what I already have for the sake of another 1-osc mono.... even if it does sound good. Sigh. I've learned from selling stuff before that I will probably end up missing what I sell unless it's just cheap old c**p in the first place. Even then, I like some of the cheap old c**p, so I keep it. Now, it's a balance between functionality, tonal qualities, and desirability as an object. Being able to manage GAS is another matter.

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:52 pm

I've had this issue with guitars. I sold my strat three years ago, because I hardly ever played it and I had sort of messed up my wrist over the years. Now I've started missing having one in the house - strumming it while watching television etc. I used the money on synths though...

diezdiazgiant
Gear: a computer and some odd bits of junk and microphones
Band: jizzflap f**k

Post by diezdiazgiant » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:49 pm

a roland jx3p and a sequential circuits six trak. both i got for next to nothing (like 50 and 250 respectively), and both the last time i looked at ebay had gone up a fair amount. im especially kicking myself because that six trak was old new stock. no scratches, no grubby grease stains on the keys from fingers, just f**k pristine condition. at least with the jx3p it was beat up and had a f**k battery so that one i didnt regret so much
blunted daydreaming

blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MV8800, Sub37, Integra 7, Mininova, Fusion, Biscuit, TimeFactor, SP-555, SP-404, SPD-SX
Band: Blavatsky

Post by blavatsky » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:03 pm

traded a korg EMX for a yamaha RS7000 -a good trade imo, but I still miss things about the korg like the ease of making a track, good effects, nice size, arpeggiator, etc. It was sitting around too much in my setup though, but I wouldn't mind having another.

Ditto with Novation Nova - Traded for a Weird Sound Generator + cash; deal went fine, but that nova had a sweet sound, lots of knobs, and of course now they are going up in value. WSG is cool, but I haven't found much use quite yet in my tracks (intro? background insanity?). I soothed the pain by getting an x-station, which is cool but somehow not as sweet sounding as the old nova.

Sold a JX8P for what I bought it for; that thing had a great thick vintage sound but I was too lazy to program it much, plus the MIDI on it was kinda primitive (received on all channels, at least for me) and was noisy as h**l in the mixer compared to newer stuff. Still, the pads (soundtrack patch!) and a few other sounds are missed.

Had a chance to buy an HS-60 (Juno 106 w/ speakers basically) for 135 and was too broke, but I kinda want the old roland analog sound again...but it's mainly just GAS.

Offworld

Post by Offworld » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:26 pm

8bit9bot wrote:I don't know about the rest of you... but I have had times where I needed quick cash and resorted to selling a synth that I didn't want to let go. Specifically the synth I'm talking about is the Waldorf Microwave II. About 3 years ago I had to sell mine... and I thought within a year I'd be able to buy it back. A lot of time has passed and I still haven't managed to be able to save up enough to re-buy it. If I had known it would take this long... I would have tried to acquire the money some other way. Even working @ Walmart during the overnight shift in addition to my regular job ;) Anyone have similar stories? I'm guessing yes... since we're living thru the second great depression.
I sold an OBX-a about 14 years ago for the same reason and have yet to replace it. With the skyrocketing prices of vintage synths these days, it would be cheaper to get a cash advance on your credit card than replace a piece of vintage gear!

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:07 am

I've been pretty good about managing my money so I don't run out very often. Buying synth used used for low prices helps.

I did sell a couple of basses many years ago but they were nothing special and I had no intention of ever getting them again.

8bit9bot
No Longer Registered

Post by 8bit9bot » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:35 am

It's nice to know there are other people who run into the same issues. It makes the "why me" factor go away a little. Anyhow, I see a lot of people saying they are good w/ money or doing something smart w/ money to prevent this. My main issue that came up w/ money was... I had moved out of my parents house and the bills caught up to me about half a year into it. Now, I'm married and I paid for the wedding myself... so all extra money I made during this time was used on the ceremony and honeymoon. Hopefully, this is the year when I get my Microwave II back.

Also, someone mentioned replacing the MW2 w/ the Blofeld. There's one feature that is really preventing me from wanting to do it that way. The MW2 has a few parameters that are catagorized as "quality". One of them is "Time Quantize" which makes the wavetable sweeps have a stair-casing sort of effect... basically decreasing the smoothing. The other one I like is "Aliasing": A parameter which allows you to remove interpolation and hear the raw aliasing artifacts. From what I understand... the Blofeld has 1 parameter which does one of these things but not both... I read the Blofeld manual and found no evidence to indicate otherwise. So... to me that makes the MW2 or XT much more appealing.

Black Tomorrow
Gear: MG-1, V-Synth w/ VC1, Poly800, PSR740, Triton, SHS10, Boss DR770, Stylophone, Hammond M-143, acoustic piano, reed organ, didgeridoo, Garritan library.

Post by Black Tomorrow » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:57 am

Bought an Octave Cat a few years ago. Then my car died before the synth even arrived in the mail. So I had to flip it as soon as I got it. I did get a chance to mess around with it, though. I'd like to get another one, but they seem to be selling for about 3 times the price I paid for the first one.
You can't synthesize love

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:53 pm

Being good with money is really just about setting priorities and making the right decisions at th eright time..

I didn't mean to imply that anybody who had to sell a synth was not good with moeny. I was just saying that I don;t make many frivolous purchases and I only buy music gear when the price is right. That means there are a few things I want that I don't have (not too many at this point but a few) but I also have gotten a lot of gear for my money and i have more money left over for bills and life expenses..

My wedding was very inexpensive, though, with only a few close freinds and family. We spent less than $2,000.00 on the whole thing.

I have a friend who spent almost $30K on her weeding and they were divorced within three years. Again, it's really about priorities. I like to travel and there are peopel who would say that is a waste of money because you have nothing to show for it (at least with a wedding you have your wife, LOL!).

I have bought the occasionaly piece of gear with the intent to resell it at a profit but fell in love with it instead but that's a topic for another thread altogether..